Do you ever get tired of the samuri sword?

Ohhi

Nov 13, 2009
I dunno the katana was never awe inspiring for me, to me it was just different weapon from a different country, I've always preferred a wakizashi or a naginata and definatley a chinese zhan ma dao

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010

There you go. Best use of swords in any media. I just wish I could have found a better quality clip..

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

How many Western swords can you name that can slice a fired bullet in half?
It isn't the style of the sword, it's how it's made. A properly crafted European sword will cut through a bullet just as easily as a properly crafted katana, and a crappy katana will perform just as poorly as a crappy European sword; and even so, all the times the test has been performed, it's been some dude shooting at the blade, not a guy actually slicing a bullet.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Doesnt really bother me at all, as long a fight scene looks cool then I'm all for it. Except if its guns, now they're over used

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
I personally prefer the Chinese jian. It's elegant, extremely light and very flexible, which leads to greater variety of movements and possible ways of attack and defense. Also it's sharper at it's point then the katana so great cutting power as well.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
The katana is just a classic. I fell in love with it when I first started watching "rurouni kenshin" as a kid. Sure as I grew up I moved to liking the bastard sword types more, but I don't think I would ever get tired of a Katana. Even though they have been in so many games nowadays, they are still pretty cool.

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
TheComedown said:
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

How many people can you name that could slice said bullet in half?
Well I know this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h9jrRTzlIY

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
HankMan said:
Kenko said:
HankMan said:
Kenko said:
HankMan said:
Less katanas
More cowbell!

None on the top of my head, but I do know katanas cant do it either, a katana cant even cut through chainmail.
Watch and learn, grasshopper
<youtube=mIDWG9Zn8j8>
Still cant cut through chainmail and it's way too sharp to be of any use against anyone wearing anything more then a shirt. It's a crap sword with way more prestiege then it deserves.
Too Sharp?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_huL2J7JrWR4/SgSimy6-TMI/AAAAAAAAAYU/quXVyWn0Nm8/s1600/QuestionCat.jpg
yup, its entirely possible to make a blade too sharp. it usually becomes brittle in comparison to a similar blade with less edge. Therefore the blade can break faster and will need more constant upkeep.

I thank my ARMA (Association of Renaissance Martial Artists) membership for that one.

plus... wow, I quote chris farely when I say: "LA-DEE-FRIKKIN-DA" you cut through a small piece of weakened lead flying through the air at a speed which makes it quite pliable. What do you want? A cookie?

Personally, I would love to see more interest in certain Italian swords called "Spada De Zohgo" (spelling may differ de[ending on your source/supplier etc) It is a medium length, light weight sword know for durability and its variability when it comes to fighting styles. It can be adapted to many different kinds.

l33t.heathen

Jul 10, 2010
Someone brought it up briefly but consider Damascus steel. It was developed in the middle east and believed to be made about the same way as the katanas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

Also katanas and the way they are used really aren't that great. I am speaking from experience here. I do SCA fencing while my dad was stationed in japan and my teacher took his students to a kendo dojo (kendo being to art of the katana more or less) and even though i had only been doing fencing for a couple of I could easily take down their master. It wasn't that i was amazing or anything, i'm your typical fat white geeks, but a combination of being trained to dodge attacks, parry and having a longer sword meant he was putty in my hands. A bleeding mass of fleshy torn putty. hmmm....

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Be best thing is that the katanas of old were rubbish because the Japanese had shit iron.

Renaissance Italian swords are the best. Also scimitars.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
SckizoBoy said:
Ulfrick said:
3) The rapier and its cousins, now here is a group of European swords that are lighter and faster. so why are they not as popular. well here it starts to boil down to fighting aesthetics tbh, rapiers where invented in a time where having SOME armour still was a possible issue, as such they are stabbing and thrusting weapons so they could slip between the cracks etc. why is this an issue though, well it has to do with the visuals. stabbing and thrusting may be fine for actual fighting but it simply doesn't read as well on camera as the large arching swings of a katana do. not for todays big action sequences at least (See the fights of the princess bride or any of the eroll flynn movies for examples of how it CAN work really well)
A number of things: whoa, some resume...
As for the rapier point, I thought that was more small-sword than rapier (though I do note you mention 'cousins').

And Princess Bride... ought to watch that again one day. (But why... why did you mention Errol Flynn?!)

OT: Not enough jian around...
If you want more jians, watch more Hong Kong cinema. Crouching Tiger's "Green Destiny" takes the cake.

Oh, and an awesome sword fight in a movie? Try this for size: RAPIER VS BASKET HILT CLAYMORE

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Eh a katana is just as old and tired as the whole diving while shooting two pistols or shooting the 30 lbs machine gun from the hip full auto accurately or the better one...

God what movie had the guy shooting the .50 sniper rifle from his shoulder? I mean really...

But it's the way action movies are...

l33t.heathen

Jul 10, 2010
and also wtf is up with everyone dual wielding swords!? like end of the lion the witch and the wardrobe where the freakin queen pulls out the two long swords and starts ninjaing her way around with them...

Sword dagger works i've tried it but its just as effective, albeit way cooler, than a sword and a stick, cup, buckler, anything you can block with.

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
I've always like the look of a Halberd. It's just and axe on a stick. With a spike on the end.
Awesome.

Or a battle axe. They're cool too.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
PaulH said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Honest to god I HATE Katanas, I just can't deny the versatility and the reason they star in movies so much. I'm more of a long sword, glaive, tonfa, bo staff, Ax, or claymore kinda guy
Scimitar > katana ... Indian, Arabic and Western European backswords are better in combat.

Especially the talwar, for that featured a perfectly hacheted blade ... more powerful, causes brutal wounds ...

Whether on horseback, camel, indoors, outdoors .... can't go past Persian / Indian blades when you talk about swords.

But all things pale to the Swiss halberdier ...

Swiss Halberdier > Samurai ... for Halberd > naginata
Fuck that: Full plate armour and a poleaxe. Absurdly versatile and can rupture anything armoured or unamoured. Why don't we see more polearms? It's like a swiss army hammer of death.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
A martial arts expo decides it is going to have an exhibition with the three greatest swordman in the world. The third best is a Japanese man wielding a katana. Halfway through the demonstration a fly buzzes through the air in front of the swordsman. Without a second glance he quickly unsheathes his katana slices the fly in two and re-sheathes his weapon. The crowd goes wild.

Next the second best swordsman takes the stage. He is a middle eastern man wielding dual scimitars. In the middle of his demonstration another fly buzzes the stage. The man swings horizontally with the right and vertically with the left. The fly falls to the ground in quarters. The crowd goes even crazier and people leap to their feat cheering and hollering.

Finally the best swordsman in the world takes the stage. He is a great big fat Scotsman with big red hair and an even bigger red beard. He is flailing about with a claymore that is taller than he is. Once again a fly whizzes onto the stage and lands near the man. With a great grunt the man slams his sword down onto the floor of the stage, splintering the wood beneath himself. As his is pulling the sword out of the floor the fly takes to the air and buzzes out of the expo.

The audience is stunned. For a full minute everyone is in silence. Finally from the back a man shouts out, "If you are the best swordsman in the world why can't you even kill a fly." The Scotsman looks out into the audience for a second and bursts out laughing, "I might not have killed the fly laddie, but he won't be havin' children any time soon."

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not me, I love samurai swords, and I think they add a little style with enemy murder.