Do you guys think American Idol is biased?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I personally think so. All their artists are country, pop, or r & b. My mom told me they've had rockers, I have not seen one actual rocker on that show. Maybe pop-rock but not actual ROCK. I know actual rock doesn't appeal to the mainstream very much, but it just irks me that they don't include any actual rockers on the show. Discuss?

Edit: Bo Bice and Chris Daughty are not rockers. Just clearing that up.

theplaidknight

Nov 11, 2008
Of course it's biased, they go after the singers they think people will like. A better question would be, if you're smart enough to notice that no worthwhile music is ever performed on the show, why do you watch it?

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
It's a prime time reality show, who cares if it's biased or not? Whoever's popular is whoever's popular.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Totally, It is totally biased towards teen age girls and metrosexual men.

Why the hell do people watch that shit.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
I will answer your question with another question.

Why the hell are you watching American idol in the first place?

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
It is absolutely biased. Just watch how they treat ugly vs cute people. The ugly ones get shit from the beginning before they can even sing, and the cute ones get 3-minute interviews about their life story and dreams before they judges even see them.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
thelonewolf266 said:
I will answer your question with another question.

Why the hell are you watching American idol in the first place?
I don't watch it, my family does, since it started, and I see some of it when I'm walking through the house.

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
I think A.I. is retarded... but anyways, they will always favour the candidates that generate traffic (oops, old media, I mean ratings). No conspiracies there, I think.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Of course it is, they don't want the best singer they want the most marketable singer.

Anyway the only thing ever good about idol was watching Simon make fun of people during the auditions, now it's all safe and PG.

LKArtillery

Mar 30, 2011
Oh, absolutely. Of course it's biased!

Still, some good raw talent pops up there occasionally.

And it's always fun to watch the fail at the beginning.

killercyclist

Feb 12, 2011
it has so little to do with music, this show is really just america's next pretty face lip-syncing. the new show the voice seems a bit better, with some actual talent. but it's still a show, so, you know...........

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well, thats whats popular in today's society, and those bands are (usually) promised some instant success with that music genre.

and who are you to say Chris daughtry isnt rock?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
If you don't think it's biased and all about marketing for the record companies to make a quick buck off of some poor sod...then I have no hope for you. Well to be fair that is their target market.
I only enjoy watching the auditions just because it's funny watching Simon Cowell rip the piss out of people who are just...awful.

Saying that though, they had Judas priest on there last night, showcasing a contestant that dropped out duetting with Halford, and their new guitarist.

Not too bad to be fair, although the guy did look a little bit of a tool :p

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/online_downloads/judas_priest_appear_on_american_idol_finale.html

emeraldrafael said:
Well, thats whats popular in today's society, and those bands are (usually) promised some instant success with that music genre.

and who are you to say Chris daughtry isnt rock?
They play rock (a very watered down crowd pleaser rock, mind you) but they're not Rockers.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
American Idol is about finding the next "pop" superstar.
It blatantly says that.
If a "rocker" is looking to get there start from that show, they're in the wrong place...
Not so much biased as it is simply not a show about finding a rock star, nor rapper, nor jazz artist.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The voting is controlled by tween girls and their moms, that says it all. Even if a rock singer was selected to be on the show (and I would say that there have been some decent rock singers in the past) there's no way they would win against the clean cut harmless boy toy or the non-threatening girl next door. That's not really a bias of Idol itself, that's a direct relation to the people who control the voting.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
It's biased by design. That's what happens when you have something based on popular voting.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
elvor0 said:
They play rock (a very watered down crowd pleaser rock, mind you) but they're not Rockers.
Guitars and leather pants are involved, it's solidly some form of rock music.

There's also the fact that they don't allow bands and often the songs/genre are chosen for them.