Do You Have a Mental Disorder and How Much Does it Affect You?

smokeyninjas

Apr 5, 2010
Don't have any mental disorders to speak of i do have severe Alexithymia but that's just a personality trait so no issue

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
technically yes...I guess it has affected me to some degree but not nearly as much as it affects others...honestly I sometimes forget its even there

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Eamar said:
I'm sorry if I overstep my boundaries here, I don't wanna stick my nose into stuff where it doesn't belong, I just kinda wanna help...

My point is: Do you have someone who keeps an eye on your finances when you go into a manic phase? I've met several severely bi-polar people when I was institutionalised and they all ruined themselves financially in their manic phases. They founded businesses like nobody's business. Hell, one even surprises his wife with four giant luxury coaches standing in front of their house one day because he decided practically over night to go into the bus operating business...

I've seen and read lots of your posts and you seem to be an awesome, intelligent, empathetic and educated person and it at least seems like you're coping very well (as far as I can tell from the point of view or someone knowing jack about you :D). Also, I hope you don't have much of the side effects of lithium. I've seen a lot of that and damn, those would drive me up the wall.

shootthebandit said:
I find it strange (sorry if im a little ignorant) that someone as intelligent and successful (yes oxford is successful) as yourself could have such thoughts.
That's the thing though with a lot of psychological diseases. Those thoughts are completely irrational and a lot of people even know that. It's the awesome duality of the brain that allows us to think: "Wait, what I'm doing here is completely fucked up, I should really stop" with the rational, frontal part of the brain. But than we do it anyway, because the lower, base part of our brain, the subconscious, thinks: "Nah, you're gonna do it anyway and fuck you, rational part of the brain, you're even gonna feel guilty about it." I've written at length about what this particular phenomenon does to you in this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.846696-The-Depressing-Thread?page=3#20881195 post here. If you're interested, that whole thread may give you a lot of additional insight into what goes on in some minds.

Captcha: Live life. Just fuck you, captcha. Siriuzly, cerptcher, y u do dis?

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
lostlambda said:
Saetha said:
Dysgraphia, dyslexia, auditory processing disorder... a bunch of a fun, happy learning disabilities.
Learning disabilities aren't mental disorders.
I was questioning that myself, but I already saw someone post about it so I figured it was fine. They still fall under the label of psychological issues though, so I'd argue that they aren't all that different, just not as serious, mostly.

And even then, things like dyslexia can be a real pain if you don't really try to overcome them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Diagnosed with PDD-NOS (Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified) 2 years ago (i'm 23).
Social interaction is really difficult for me, let alone making friends (I can count those who I have on one hand really).
Can't handle sudden changes at all, the recent renovation in our house made me have a panic attack at several occasions for instance. Only person i'm not afraid to share my secrets with is my best friend, since he's one of the few people I actually feel at ease with. That I'm bi isn't exactly a secret anymore (although it was difficult for me to come out) but he's the only person who knows the other stuff that I want but rather keep secret for others.

I am showing signs of depression aswell, having 'episodes' that last for a week or 2 that the only emotion I tend to have is either anger or being on the edge of crying the whole damn time while prefering to be left alone. I didn't see a shrink for it yet since 1) Short on cash, 2) I don't trust them at all.

It's not all bad though, I'm pretty good in math and one of my strengths is picking up foreign languages with ease (With the exception of german for some reason). I really want to study some asian languages when I'm done with IT.

Long story short: I live pretty much in my own world in which I only allow a few people (non of it being family for personal reasons). And outside what seems a depression, i'm fine with it.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
(With the exception of german for some reason)
Don't worry, the reason you have trouble with German is German.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Nope. At least no diagnosed ones. Considering how fluid the distinction between peculiar personality traits and disorders are, even people without a diagnosis may exhibit similar behaviours and issues to a lesser extent, though.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
RoonMian said:
0takuMetalhead said:
(With the exception of german for some reason)
Don't worry, the reason you have trouble with German is German.

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html
Definetly going to read it later on.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
According to Tumber, being Cis White and male is a disorder

Joking (well kinda) aside, I have Aspergers and ADHD, I'm pretty good at keeping it under control, I can live pretty normally, but to be honest I'm more or less a big kid LOL

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Eamar said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
Eamar said:
I had bulimia, which obviously dominated my every thought, for several years so...
Regardless of how much time you spent pondering it, that doesn't change the fact that it's an eating disorder, not a mental disability.
Eating disorders are mental illnesses. The OP asked about "mental disorders", which people seem to be taking as a catch-all term for mental illnesses and neurological disorders. If depression, bipolar and anxiety fit the bill, eating disorders do too.
Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to have never been a victim of eating disorders, but my sister had - and is slowly recovering from - anorexia. While I know that "only" effects your body, it can really screw with your head, too. She has to go to a therapist and take meds and do mental positivity exercises (Or... whatever they're called). She's gotten a lot better since she started getting treatment, but it was pretty rough for a while there. I'd say that probably fits in a discussion on mental disorders.

Blow_Pop said:
I have ADD, mild claustrophobia, panic attacks, and Anxiety issues. And I suspect(though this one hasn't been diagnosed yet) some variation of depression.

The mild claustrophobia is mostly in crowds. Put too many people around me and it feels like there is no ecape and that the metaphorical walls are closing in on me(funny enough, I'm fine with small, cramped spaces).
Not to be rude, but isn't this actually agoraphobia? Fear of crowded or open spaces? It'd explain why you're fine with cramped but uncrowded spaces, too.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Aspergers, which has been diagnosed twice, but I still think it's just hyper-sensitivity.
My main thing used to be Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which messes me up really bad, but I just turned twenty one and suddenly the Bi-polar thing decided to kick into high gear. My mom has Bi-polar also, so she's good at helping me deal with it, but it's brought with it an intrusive thoughts thing that's really hard to shut down.

I get a sadistic rush when I enter a manic episode, but luckily I'll play some kind of game where you're nigh unstoppable and plow through a couple levels and it goes away. Then I just have to keep an eye on how much/fast I talk and how impulsive my purchases are.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I'm not really sure what I have... I think I might be bi-polar, or something, but to be honest, I've never had the money/coverage to see a psychiatrist or anything so, I'm not sure.
All I know is that my emotions tend to really annoy me, and I seem to have an entirely different set of emotions than all the people around me, this confuses them, and generally ends with people who befriended me during a rather positive time in my life, leaving me to rot if they see that I'm not always pumped for my future, or that I'm not always 100% ok with being the guy that is guaranteed the short straw.

I mean, I've been seeing a trend, everyone else gets hugs and kisses, and general positive physical contact from others, they're all fine for the most part, have times when they feel down but have people there to comfort them. With me, I've been hugged a grand total of 8 times in the last 3 years, 1 was from my mother seeing me off at the airport when I moved last, 1 was from my best bro at said airport, 3 of those times were by drunk people who'd normally never touch me, the other 3 were by people who felt so fucking sorry for me that they couldn't help it.

Maybe it's because people feel uneasy around me, maybe it's that they feel my unease, I dunno, I don't know how to stop it, and I hate being untouchable, I hate being the one person I know who's treated like a fucking leper socially.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
severe depression and social anxiety. it effects me quite a bit. i find it expremely difficult to do anything where i know there are people. even shopping makes me uncomfortable and if i know i have to meet someone for the first time it can give me trouble sleeping for several days beforehand.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Blow_Pop said:
I have ADD, mild claustrophobia, panic attacks, and Anxiety issues. And I suspect(though this one hasn't been diagnosed yet) some variation of depression.

The ADD I have been off medication for for 15 years now. I still occasionally get slightly distracted. But for the most part, I've learned to control myself and my attention span.

The mild claustrophobia is mostly in crowds. Put too many people around me and it feels like there is no ecape and that the metaphorical walls are closing in on me(funny enough, I'm fine with small, cramped spaces).

The panic attacks tend to go with the mild claustrophobia as it will send me into a panic attack. My asthma can also be triggered from them.

The anxiety attacks/issues make it hard for me to be a productive member of society. I just got a new doctor who is actively trying to help so I haven't really been taking the medication long enough to say if it's fully working or not but I have been able to actually do things I need to do without forcing myself for the past week and a half or so that I've been on it. If I recall correctly (I'm not at home so I can't look at my prescription) he has me on Buproprin or something like that(I know it starts with a "B") and I have to take it twice a day. Sometimes the anxiety actually affects my asthma by dropping a metaphorical weight on my chest and making it hard for me to breathe causing me to be sent into asthma attacks easier.

The depression is mostly mood based. And has (very recently in fact) sunk me so low that I've contemplated suicide. Luckily (I guess?) I was also in the middle of a serious anxiety attack so in addition to general laziness I really couldn't move much so it didn't send me into actually attempting it but it was like that for me for 2 days in a row(which hasn't happened for 16 or so years).

Soon as I can get the money and a referral from my doctor though, I'm going to go and talk to a psychiatrist and see what they say. But I know I tend to exhibit a lot of the signs of it (which really means nothing other than I exhibit signs of it as it could be related to something else or could be something else). Though my doctor suspects I may be bipolar if I actually do have depression since apparently anxiety and depression are two different sides of the bipolar spectrum. So we'll see on that last point. Everything else though (minus the depression) is actually diagnosed and technically falls under mental health/disorders.

Johnny Novgorod said:
lostlambda said:
Saetha said:
Dysgraphia, dyslexia, auditory processing disorder... a bunch of a fun, happy learning disabilities.
Learning disabilities aren't mental disorders.
By that logic, Tourette's isn't either.
The only logic I'm following is WebMD's.

the_duke_CC

Feb 4, 2008
I suffer from depression, paranoid schizophrenia and an anxiety disorder. I'm fairly well medicated these days (I take about 14 pills a day) which is a massive help, but, I still suffer from hallucinations (of varying severity) and I still have days when I can not get out of bed, because I'm depressed. Plus, sometimes my anxiety stops me from leaving my house. It can play havoc with my work life and means I have a non-existent social life, but at least I'm dealing with it better than I used to. :)

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
norashepard said:
Full blown Catatonic Schizophrenia. It was thought to be undifferentiated for a long time until I realized one of my best friends wasn't real.
God. Damn.

That is...wow... just rough. I'm sorry for that, I really am. Digital hugs to you.

Digital hugs to everyone!

dr_what

Oct 6, 2012
Beffudled Sheep said:
And this is totally coming from me and not a professional but I think I have some sort of social anxiety disorder. whenever I'm around people or in social situations I feel panicky. Kind of like a cornered rat. I have trouble focusing on anything that isn't the people around me and every damn muscle in my body seems to get really tense.
I actually dropped out of college because I couldn't handle being in classrooms or on a crowded campus anymore. I wasn't able to focus in my crowded classes at all and I greeted every morning of classes with dread. And now the only time I feel comfortable leaving my own house is in the dead of night when most people are home.
I'm also just generally uncomfortable in large open spaces but thats probably something else.
To be fair, I'm not an expert in any sort of psychological field and I don't mean to speak in any manner that suggests any sort of knowledge outside of my own experiences, but I think that could be part of your bi-polar disorder. I haven't been to college in two months, bar evening visits to collect books from the library, and I haven't been out in public during the day in at least 5 weeks. I have been going through these phases over monthly cycles for years (times when I've not wanted to leave my house I mean), but seeing as this has been the worst episode of my own experience with bi-polar disorder and it seems similar to what you have described, I think it could be a symptom of it.

**once again, I don't have any knowledge of psychiatry or psychology, and I have no knowledge of your specific circumstances and don't want to appear presumptuous , I'm just noting a similarity between our situations based on what you've typed. Y'know, solidarity and all that.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Depression for several years. Got medication about six weeks ago. Everyday is a struggle and I've tried to off myself once. Mental health sucks because you can only understand if you've been through the same thing.