Do you have any recurring themes in your dreams?

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I do. Two of them, in fact.

The first one is telekinesis. I don't know why, but in most of my dreams I just find it extremely intuitive that I wave my hand and things start to fly, no matter the context of the dream. Not only that, it also has a constant condition to it: the moment I imagine it might not work, it doesn't work. It makes sense when I wake up (dreams are practically runaway imagination while your brain is doing maintenance, so of course it doesn't work if you imagine it doesn't), but while in the dream it always feels like some kind of really intuitive magical rule I have to adhere to.

The second one is school, either my elementary or high-school. The thing that makes these dreams memorable is that I am never there as a kid. Whenever I dream of school, there is always a well-defined reason why I am there as an adult (like having to go back to high-school in order to refresh my biology knowledge before switching university courses).

So, do you guys have any similar recurring themes in your dreams? Please share. :)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I used to have dreams when I was back in High school hanging out with my formers friends or with them still in the dream one way or another if the High School isn't there. Now I typed used to cos I haven't had any high school dreams lately.

I look online at the possible meanings and it seen that I could want to go back to that period of my life (which is partly ture given how it was simple it was back then) or maybe I subconscious want to patch things up with them (which I denined since I never want to see them ever again).

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
People trying to kill me/cause me harm.

...I watch too many action films and horrors, so I'm not at all surprised. If anything it's like a mini movie for myself.

Also trying to fly/run fast and not being able to. Like you're stuck in deep mud or being constantly pulled back down by ghostly hands. It's so irritating.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Well, there's the lucid dreams with the long plotlines that stretch over multiple dreams, though I unfortunately haven't had one of those for a while.

Beyond that, I have frequent school dreams as well, mostly the kind where I'm back in high school and forgot my homework. Those really annoy me, since I graduated from college a couple of years ago. I'm done! Stop sending me back.

After that, there's fighting with my dad,both verbally and physically. Our relationship before the divorce was kind of rocky, and though I made up with him as an adult and we now get along great, it's clear that there's still some unresolved issues.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
My mother appearing and asking for forgiveness, even in situations where it is completely nonsensical for her to be present. Even after getting past the whole 'she's been dead for several years' thing. Usually it ends with me shooting her to death again. Re-death?

Generally her showing up causes me to wake up shortly afterwards because it breaks whatever narrative the dream had going.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
1. There's this friend I had all through grade school. I don't feel like hanging with him anymore, but I keep having nightmares that he shows up unexpectedly on my doorstep. Many of them. I've lost count.

2. Going to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins in the Netherlands. Nightmare too, since this means I can't just go home if I feel like it -- I have to wait until the plane leaves.

3. Having sex with a hot, curvy womahahahahahaoh I wish.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
1. Being back in High School, or sometimes being back at Uni if I'm on my break

2. Failing in someway, whether its me being late or not knowing what to do in an exam, or running out of time and scrambling to get something presentable for an assignment.

My dreams probably reflect the lack of life experience I have in life outside studying...

Aug 31, 2012
Baffle said:
Teeth falling out. Probably because I drink tons of coke and am somewhat aware that I shouldn't.
I got that for a while. I was taking a lot of drugs at the time. Is there something you're not telling us? When you say "coke" are you just drinking cocaine solution?

There's a couple of other things that were recurring in dreams at the time that were very obviously related to what I was doing at the time.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Baffle said:
Teeth falling out. Probably because I drink tons of coke and am somewhat aware that I shouldn't.
this is a very common one, I've had it too (for similar reasons XD)

OT: other than that no...mabye F/F sex...I guess I can remember enough dreams where that happened to be a "theme" just the other night I dreamt I did it with a co-work and ANOTHER co-worker (a slightly older consultant with an air "class") really disapproved. Interestingly though I was not bothered/embarrassed by it the following day

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Trying to leave school , but not being able to find my bike. Or going back to school at my current age and having to explain my 17-year long absence. I played hooky a lot when I was still in high school and I always had to come up with an excuse why I didn't attend or why I bailed, so that's where that comes from, I guess.
Baffle said:
Not teeth falling out, but my teeth being so rickety that I break them out myself with a black almost liquorice like gloop pouring out of holes.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I occasionally have one thing happen in a dream that strikes me as odd. I have dreamed of a place that is kind of like an MMO map, lots of people and things to kill, but the areas of that map are made up of areas from other memorable dreams I have had with very little correlation to real life.

I will be having a normal dream, then at some point I will end up in this place with the people I was dreaming about with me too. It almost seems like a giant MMO themed ant farm than a game, its quite creepy and vivid.

I usually wake up not long after this because when I end up there, I recognise it and realise I'm dreaming.

Uncle Comrade

Feb 28, 2008
Not so common now, but I used to have very stressful dreams where I'd be in my car, but not driving properly. Like, once I was in the passenger seat, having to lean over to grab the wheel, another time I was sitting in the back and had to reach around the drivers seat. One time I dreamed that my friend (who hadn't even taken a single driving lesson) was at the wheel, and I was sitting in the passenger seat as he weaved through traffic and nearly crashed us into things. Probably represented my desire at the time to have more control over my life.

Another recurring theme is me getting off with (up to, but not always including actual sex) female friends and co-workers who I would never even think of doing such things with in real life. Apparently my subconscious is an immoral man-slut. Very worrying.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I've had 3 seperate dreams where I've murdered people, and I always do it with exaggerated cuts to the throat. Big, sweeping, diagonal gashes. They form an X on the throat. I don't shoot people, I don't strangle, I very specifically slice throats. I don't know why. Sometimes the victims are people I dislike, sometimes they're people that I like very much. It's very strange.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Baffle said:
This is common. (In case the other people quoting you hadn't clued you in on that.)

I've heard it's caused by anxiety. No idea if true.

I once dreamt that I slammed my mouth shut so hard that all my teeth shattered and I spent the rest of the dream picking shards of teeth out of my ruined gums with a pair of tweezers.

It wasn't a very nice dream.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Owls are a common theme. My weirdest would be me sitting in the Winter Palace, it having been converted into a restaurant, surrounded by friends and family. Suddenly they are given bags of crisps that they start opening one at a time. Inside the bags are live owls which they pelt me with.

I'm not sure what it means.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dreams? You people have dreams!? Lucky... -_-

Ehm, I barely ever remember a thing about mine, and from the few I do remember, I can't say there are any obvious recurring themes...

Certainly the dream diary I have doesn't show any obvious patterns to them...