Do you have any weird hygiene quirks?

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
I've picked up showering twice a day for whatever reason. When I get up and before I go to sleep.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
Leon Declis said:
I brush my teeth until my gums bleed. If I don't bleed, I haven't brushed them enough.
You should definitely be careful with that. You may end up with receding gums, and wear holes in your enamel. Having teeth that aren't up to your excessive cleanliness standards is far better than what you're likely doing to them.

Clean is one thing. Destructive is another.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I always use the exact same amount of sheets of toilet paper, according to my roommate that's strange. I also don't actively wash my back in the shower, just hope the soap/shampoo coming from my shoulders/head will do the trick (then again, how dirty does ones back get?)

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Got some problems with acne + greasy skin, runs in the family and has still not subsided even when I'm well into my twenties. So I wash my face with soap about 2-3 times per day. Once when I wake up, once when I get back home from work, and once before I go to bed. I'm also really careful about not touching my face too much.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I shower and wash my hair once a week. If I'm working/going outside.
No balsam or conditioner or..anything..only shampoo ..odd word, now that I wrote it out, nvm..
In fact, only soap for hands/body and shampoo for hair. No other "beauty" products touch me.
(ok, underarm rollers/anti-perspirant too)
No hair-wax/gel, no skin lotion, no rouge or mascara, nada.

Most of you are probably going to think I'm an extremely disgusting slob...
I just don't want any skin conditions nor do I want my future kids to get allergies.
I'm also extremely healthy. I get sick maybe once every 3 years.
Plus, I don't give money to companies perpetuating a dependent and unhealthy money-sinking lifestyle.

Dijarida

Feb 1, 2014
I stray away from using a beard as an excuse to not shave. Keep your neck clean shaven kids, if you think you look good with a neckbeard: You're wrong. Remember kids, "Under the jaw breaks Dija's law"

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
All of you hand-washers would hate being around me, because I only wash my hands after using the restroom or if they get really dirty from something I'm doing. I won't go near hand sanitizer either because I don't mind exposing myself to as many germs as possible so that my immune system is always in top shape.
Fucking 'A. I'm a bit surprised at how many people obsess over washing their hands so much. It's like they think the human body is some kind of fragile, delicate thing that'll break at the slightest inconvenience. I have to shower every day though. I find my hair just gets all greasy and horrible feeling (and looking) if I don't. Probably the only thing I miss about having it short.

I think most people just don't like that greasy or grainy feeling you get when you don't wash your hands. Working in retail I touch a lot things and after a while it's like my hands have a coating of random particles be it from dust or what have you. During this time my hands smell like a cross between printer paper and some metallic substance, it is unpleasant at most to drink a beverage with the smell of paper being so close by, so I wash my hands every so often.

As for quirk... I always brush my teeth before and after every meal except lunch, I'll use a spot of listerine w/ floss since brushing at work would be weird. I will not eat till I brush my teeth or leave the house without doing so. I also won't sleep until I brush my teeth. could be 3:00am I'll brush, wash my face and then go to bed just to do it again in the morning.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Stabinbac said:
Leon Declis said:
I brush my teeth until my gums bleed. If I don't bleed, I haven't brushed them enough.
You should definitely be careful with that. You may end up with receding gums, and wear holes in your enamel. Having teeth that aren't up to your excessive cleanliness standards is far better than what you're likely doing to them.

Clean is one thing. Destructive is another.
Can't agree with that more.

I used to be quite paranoid about my teeth (and also smelling bad) after unfortunate experiences in high school. Apparently there was nothing actually wrong with me but I used to brush my teeth several times a day and a bit firmer than I was supposed to anyway. Also had a fling with perfume.

At the moment my big thing is: my cups are my own, no one elses. Use my cups and you suffer.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Don't think I have any =(

The only thing I can think off is that when I wash my hands I still do it the way I did when I worked with young children:

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I abuse handgel whenever I can, and I also fist bump people instead of shaking their hands. Only when i'm like, playing Magic or something. I'll shake hands than wash mine afterwords. I'm crazy.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
All of you hand-washers would hate being around me, because I only wash my hands after using the restroom or if they get really dirty from something I'm doing. I won't go near hand sanitizer either because I don't mind exposing myself to as many germs as possible so that my immune system is always in top shape.
Fucking 'A. I'm a bit surprised at how many people obsess over washing their hands so much. It's like they think the human body is some kind of fragile, delicate thing that'll break at the slightest inconvenience. I have to shower every day though. I find my hair just gets all greasy and horrible feeling (and looking) if I don't. Probably the only thing I miss about having it short.
I wouldn't if it wasn't me job, though. I've got a fairly good immune system, myself, but I'm trying to get the habit in. Frail old ladies want prawn sandviches, too, after all.

Ihrgoth

Oct 8, 2012
If food drops on the ground I'll pick it up and see if its dirty, if its not I'll eat it. If it has dirt on it I'll brush it off then eat it, or wash it off then eat it as long as it won't get nasty from washing it. I don't care, I've eaten dirt with food before its not that nasty.

Other things I often don't do is wash my hands before eating, unless they are disgustingly dirty, or I've just been working, as I work on a dairy farm and manure tastes nasty.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I rarely use towels at all. I prefer to just drip-dry or let evaporation do its thing. Unless it's really cold, then I'm going to use a towel.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eleuthera said:
I always use the exact same amount of sheets of toilet paper
if toilet paper wasnt designed to be folded it wouldnt come in perferrated squares. People who just grab a big wad are basically animals

has anyone ever told a complete stranger in a toilet to wash their hands? Because I have on a few occasions. If you go to a buffet and I catch you not washing your hands ill will tell you. It may seem out of order to impose your sanitary standards on others but I dont want your pee pee fingers touching food I could potentially be eating

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
shootthebandit said:
has anyone ever told a complete stranger in a toilet to wash their hands? Because I have on a few occasions. If you go to a buffet and I catch you not washing your hands ill will tell you. It may seem out of order to impose your sanitary standards on others but I dont want your pee pee fingers touching food I could potentially be eating
Well...in a manner of speaking. A while ago I had a streak of sneakily sticking a "Did you wash your hands?" sticker on the doors in toilets in public places. They persisted for quite a while!

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Chalk up another point for the hand-washers. Over the last couple years I've started washing my hands more and more often, to the point where I probably average 20-25 hand-washings per day. I've considered trying to ease up on it, but I figure it's not so bad as far as compulsions go.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
gritch said:
I've gotten into the habit of washing my hands thoroughly before and after going to the restroom, which from what I've witness is definitely not the norm. I work in a chemistry lab so I guess I picked it up from there. Still it just makes a lot of sense to me.
Same here, and I have probably picked up my habit from the fact that I work in a microbiology lab, and in the past I have worked in both chemistry and biochemistry labs so I have to be vigilant when it comes to hygiene.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
I don't want to get too heavily involved here as it may end up delving a little took deep... I but I saw the headline and thought it would be disingenuous to not pitch in: I'm a hypochondriac, and as such know all about weird hygiene quirks :/ I should probably specify, I have not been diagnosed by a psychiatric professional as a hypo, but it's not really the kind of thing that goes unnoticed in most cases.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Product Placement said:
I need to clean toilet seats before I can sit down on them.
^This^
I can't stand the idea that I might sit down in someone's urine.

Also I sitting on warm toilet after someone else is a big nono
Whenever I can I wait for few minutes for it to cool down