Do You Like Anime? Write for The Escapist!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Do You Like Anime? Write for The Escapist!

The Escapist is looking to widen its stable of talented writers to take on the latest anime titles to hit North America, and one of those writers could be you!

Have you been keeping track of our growing launched in June [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime]? Do you want to join the ranks of our five illustrious critics and get your writing featured on one of the most popular gaming culture sites on the internet? The Escapist is looking for two (2) anime fans within our community to join our team reviewing the latest and shiniest new series. If you're interested in applying for the position, here's what you need to do to make your case:

We're looking for two review samples - choose any of the following anime titles to review:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ouran High School Host Club
Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Send us a long-form review (maximum wordcount: 750 words), and a short review (maximum wordcount: 200 words) - you can review the same anime for both, or choose to do a different one for each. Knowledge of the subject matter is as important as writing ability, so please only apply if you're fairly knowledgable about anime - we're looking for experts. Also keep in mind that you will be expected to meet assigned deadlines.

Please write the review samples in the word processing app of your choice - Microsoft Word preferred. Send them as attachments to john (at) escapistmag (dot) com . Be sure to include your Escapist forum username and real name in the body of the email, and the email subject must contain "Anime Review Position." Applications must be submitted no later than 6:00 PM EST on Friday, January 29th, 2010.

Submissions not meeting these requirements will not be considered.

This is an unpaid position - all of the anime will be provided for free, and is yours to keep! Review assignments will be decided at The Escapist's discretion.

Due to format differences and international (and overseas) shipping fees, this position is open to residents of the continental United States only. You must be 18 or older to apply.

If you have any questions about the position or the application, ask them here, or PM John Funk.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
While this may be great news to someone, it is not to me since I don't even watch anime.
But I must say before I leave this post:

"...talented writers to take on the latest anime titles to hit North America...."
I thought that had said, anime titties the first time I read it....

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Furburt said:
I would love to, but I fear I don't love it enough to be considered.

And I'm not American.
Ditto, in regards to nationality. Otherwise would have participated for sure.

Ah well...

Good luck to the entries!

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
I was so psyched until I reached the end and it said "United States only", why do they always do that? Every contest, job offering, trial etc. Each and every time, they wait for the end to tell us that the majority of us can't apply. (Not only the Escapsit mind you) Meh, good luck to those who can though ^^

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Furburt said:
I would love to, but I fear I don't love it enough to be considered.

And I'm not American.
Exactly this. My knowledge of anime extends as far reaching as Lucky Star and Rosario + Vampire (which is bordering on soft-core hentai, watch it and you'll see what I mean)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Arcanz said:
I was so psyched until I reached the end and it said "United States only", why do they always do that? Every contest, job offering, trial etc. Each and every time, they wait for the end to tell us that the majority of us can't apply. (Not only the Escapsit mind you) Meh, good luck to those who can though ^^
We get sent NTSC stuff, so it wouldn't work in PAL territories - and also, shipping things overseas and internationally is a headache and a half. Apologies to all of our readers outside the US, but it's just not feasible :(

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
... and of course they have Evangelion as the pic next to the article, my favorite anime... Not fair, I am not qualified enough for it.

My friend's anime fetish just became profitable(in the material, non monetary sense).

Ohwell. That's what I get for being a casual observer of the art.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
John Funk said:
Due to format differences and international (and overseas) shipping fees, this position is open to residents of the continental United States only.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn it! And I was about to write a kick-ass Death Note review too!

In retrospect, I still might do it, even though I won't get the position.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Sounds interesting, although I have seen many more upset non-americans than giddy are-americans making replies so far. This might take you guys a while, but glad to see Princess Mononoke in the list.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Well shoot I'd love to but I'm leaving for a long time and don't expect to have any free time till sometime in the summer :|

good luck finding reviewers though.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheNumber1Zero said:
Sounds interesting, although I have seen many more upset non-americans than giddy are-americans making replies so far. This might take you guys a while, but glad to see Princess Mononoke in the list.
Again, like I said, if it were easy and feasible we'd totally include everyone in our community around the world - we're not doing it just to make Americans happy. It sucks, but it's just not in the cards right now :/

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
John Funk said:
TheNumber1Zero said:
Again, like I said, if it were easy and feasible we'd totally include everyone in our community around the world - we're not doing it just to make Americans happy. It sucks, but it's just not in the cards right now :/
Oh, I know that, I was just surprised that I had yet to see a happy American, although there might be one up there; I did see someone mentioning that 3 of the listed animes were there favorite.

Good luck.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Booo!!!!!! Hissss!!!! US only!! >=( Boooo!!! Well I don't think I could do the job anyway, I don't watch all that much anime, I'm mainly just a Dragon Ball fan. The only ones on that list that I've seen in their entirety are Death Note and Princess Mononoke. But still, BOO!! I mean come on guys, you could've at least made it US and Canada, we are similar enough; as much as it pains me to say that.