Do you like combo or skill videos?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If so, then post your favorite ones, or videos from you or your favorite skill player. It's not just limited melee/action combat games, but you can add first person shooter and third person shooters as well.

EDIT: If you can, put your multivids in the spoiler tag, so the pages can load easier.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I do like some videos but it's pretty dependent on the game and also the player. I'm a lot more into a player being creative and basically choreographing something vs just pure skill. I love Vanquish but didn't much care for that video as it was too montage-y with short clips (the Previously Recorded clip at the end was pretty funny) , I like to see someone take down a whole encounter vs just a single enemy. Most shooter montages are pretty boring unless you're really doing some unique things. When I was learning to play online shooters and "git gud", watching full unedited matches of top players was key. It's not watching the actual kills they get but figuring out the "whys"; why they went there, why they did that, etc. Being good at a shooter is all about doing the little things and having superior positioning (both on the macro and micro levels). Anyway, I really love StealthGamerBR's videos, especially the Dishonored ones.

My favorite Vanquish video (not that I've watched a lot of them, but the ending is so awesome)

StealthGamerBR

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I love Vanquish but didn't much care for that video as it was too montage-y with short clips (the Previously Recorded clip at the end was pretty funny)
No problem. I was just looking for something different and I did not want to take away too many examples from user.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm competitive with fighting games so I love combo vids of course. Though if you don't play the game it's kinda hard to appreciate for a layman. Stuff looks cool but the really hard aspect is difficult to understand so I mainly watch stuff from games I've played.

But yeah here's some stuff I made:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My favorite first person skill video, from a game called "Life".

Anybody's who's ever attempted to make a french omellette can appreciate the skill demonstrated.

Runner ups.

Reactions: Kae and BrawlMan

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I generally don't like this sort of video, but the no detection high chaos speed runs in Dishonored series are impressive and cool to watch.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't like fighting games enough to watch things like this. But i suppose the same type of thing that i do like is watching speedruns of Souls games, or other hard games that I suck at. I can't tell you how many strats i've "borrowed" from a speedrunner in order to get through bosses in a game.

Like the Corrupted Monk in Sekiro, I saw a speedrun and the strat was super easy and was able to mimic that strat to get through the boss with ease on my first try. I'm not ashamed of it either.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I don't like fighting games enough to watch things like this. But i suppose the same type of thing that i do like is watching speedruns of Souls games, or other hard games that I suck at. I can't tell you how many strats i've "borrowed" from a speedrunner in order to get through bosses in a game.

Like the Corrupted Monk in Sekiro, I saw a speedrun and the strat was super easy and was able to mimic that strat to get through the boss with ease on my first try. I'm not ashamed of it either.
Fighter combo vids are divided into two types of video. The more hard tech stuff which is basically a reference and a helpful addition to the community, and the more impractical but visually and musically engaging ones which are using the combo system to do random fancy cool things with the aim of getting a fun viewing experience and not being competitively viable.

The stuff I posted above is the former but there's tons of the latter stuff too, I don't make those cause those use a ton of editing whereas for the hard tech you just gotta do a thing and record it with the input display on.

Here's an example of the vids I believe anyone can enjoy:

(and yes, if you haven't played the game not only is this an extremely difficult set up to achieve but also they did it with the storymode's 40 hours worth of battles as the setup, so in chronological order every fight that takes place in the storymode is rendered in this video, with epic editing and quotes from the game stuck in there too, this takes 100 hours to make easy)

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's how it works some times. I beat bloody palace in DMC5 using a strategy a guy did on YT did. I would watch all of his Dante combo videos for inspirations and self improvement. To the point I can stay in Sin Devil Trigger for a long time when playing. It was these videos and his bloody palace stream that helped a lot.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This one is for you @Worgen.
Heh, thanks, that guy really needs something higher then SSS to go for.

Have a couple cool ones I found.

I guess this one is more of a tournament match but still pretty impressive combos.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'll hip you all to Ernesto Lopez Jr and Button Check. He gives out news in the FGC and he also before his news of the day, he always has clips of sick combos, comebacks, and... call-outs!

I did it! Alliteration Win!

And I'll always rep Team Spooky. Even though I'm from the Boogie Down, I'll always love Team Spooky for being Grind Monsters and holding NYC down like they do. As much of the FGC did, they hitched their wagon onto SF4, and it served them well during that time. Sf5 being what it is, the channel took a bit of a hit nowadays, but they are trying to Branch off into other stuff like Dragon Ball Fighterz.

But, we're talking about Combos. And Tekken will forever got you.

I wish Harada would stop playing and get some type of Tekken over to the Switch. Even if it was just a TTT 3. There's an install base. Everyone's got a Switch. I need my 3d fighters...

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I never cared much about spooky back in the day but now with things like granblue and fighterZ in their repertoire I have been catching a few of their vids. I have relatives in Brooklyn so if I visit in an opportune (not plague-ridden) time I may make it into one of those vids too XD.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
The thing about Doom Eternal is that in the hands of extremely skilled players that game gives you so much freedom, movement and combos that it can look like a totally different game in the hands of these people.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I never cared much about spooky back in the day but now with things like granblue and fighterZ in their repertoire I have been catching a few of their vids. I have relatives in Brooklyn so if I visit in an opportune (not plague-ridden) time I may make it into one of those vids too XD.
Hell, do it now. A lot of their Tourneys are online due to the pandemic. See what you can do.