Do you listen to audio books while playing video games?

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
When I play SimCity (2000 and 3000; the new ones suck) I sometimes mute the sound and play some music, but that is the only game I do this for. I don't listen to audio books, so I certainly have never done that.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Yup especially in games i'm replaying it's nice to have something to listen to rather than repeated dialogue.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't listen to audiobooks at all so, no. I do listen to music sometimes, but only if it fits the game and doesn't distract me. I always have background music playing in multiplayer games that don't have any music like Transformers War for Cybertron. If I'm playing a mech game like Bootfighter Windom (look it up) I'll have something from the OSTs of various Gundam series playing.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Oh God yes! World of Warcraft basically made me a fan of sci-fi literature, I listened dozens of books while playing it but that's pretty much only game that doesn't require so much attention that I still have some spare on book.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Nah, but I listen to audio books (or podcasts and similar) while riding the bus or hiking. I sometimes listen to music while playing a game, but it must be a very repetitive type of game where I don't need to fear missing some story-detail or what have you, like the Torchlight or Diablo games. Especially during the Kurast Jungle bits. Man, did I need the diversion.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I did it a lot during my MMO days, but now I tend to see it as a bad sign if I have to listen to something else while playing a game. Granted there are exceptions, but if it's a single player game and I'm listening to something else there's a bit of a flaw in the design, imo.

Mar 20, 2010
I don't listen to audio books while playing games buut, I play video games while listening to audio books. Listening to audio books as the main thing. I play mostly grindy and less story oriented stuff while listening. Usually Terraria, FTL, Binding of Isaac, Monster hunter. Borderlands... That kind of good stuffs. Instead of making the audiobook background noise, I make the game i'm playing the background noise in my mind.

clayschuldt

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, I've done this many times. The first time I was playing Metroid and listening to the World War Z. Though I also find it really east to take a nap to World War Z. That is not to say that it is a boring story, but rather it is very soothing to listen people of multiple nationalities talk of a zombie uprising.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I've done it for a while, but only when playing games that obviously don't need the sound on and don't need too much concentration. I'm currently listening to The Long Earth (Pratchett, Baxter) whilst playing Fortix or Torchlight 2. But most of the time I either listen to the game audio or music.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Hell no, I prefer to actually read my books. Although I generally wouldn't listen to music either because it is also distracting and because when I've tried to do it in the past I always end up forgetting about it for long periods of time anyway and end up not changing to the next song.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
No, but I do watch anime when I play games so does that count? I've never been big on audiobooks.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
Boo8er said:
I have thought of an interesting way to maximize productivity when playing video games. Maybe when playing video games we can listen to audio books while doing it. For example, when playing fallout you could be listening to Cormac McCarthys The Road. Have you ever done this?
This is a wonderful idea. I'm going to try it, though I am curious whether the game would be a distraction to audio book.
i find it is, for most games anyway. if you're doing something purely gameplay focused (raids in WoW, online shooters, TBOI, stuff like that) then it can work, but i still find it a tad distracting. at most i'll stretch to my own music, but just with ingame music disabled, not all ingame sounds. otherwise either my gameplay or attention to the book will suffer xD

i do listen to a lot of them though, about 20-40 hours of them a week (night shifts at a supermarket gives me a lot of time to listen to them).

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Never listened to an audio book but Smashing Pumpkins is my Gears of War multi player jam. I have a question about audio books, does listening to an audio book count as reading the book? If John Goodman read every audio book ever I'd totally listen to more of them.

Sleepingzombie

Dec 7, 2009
Always. Though usually not focus-intensive games like some fast pased stratgy games, but everything from shooters to grand scale strategy games. . .and I would Never play a big space strategy game without learning Something if I mess up (they take alot of hours).

I listen to everything from Stephen King, to a few lectures (TTC), to Harry potter, Metro 2034 to whatever else I want to listen too =)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Audio Books? No.
I do watch stuff while playing games though.
Back in the day when my room was living room-adjacent I would play on PC while watching TV.
Hulu becoming a thing around the period PC gaming died, and my desktop exploding helped facilitate my abandonment of PC gaming. Since then my setup has been watching stuff on a laptop while playing Xbox.
When I was seven years old I remember being able to play Pokemon, watch TV, and read a book simultaneously. I think my skill regression when it comes to multitasking has to do with a third of my brainpower now being devoted to sex.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
I almost always play a game/do homework/do D&D writing whilst listing/watching youtube videos. Playlists are amazing for this. One I have recently started watching is Rollplay by ITmejp. Basically, it's a D&D stream, and so I play Shadowrun or Guns of Icarus or something whilst listening to them playing.

It just saves time, as I do like YouTube videos, but sitting and watching one straight can waste my time.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Mostly Minecraft, sometime WoW. I can watch a television show while in Minecraft it is a rather monotonous task, I seen several seasons of shows while working on one project.

Some of my favorites:
Song of Ice and Fire Audiobooks especially told by King's Landings pyromancer Roy Dotrice.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series as told by Martin Freeman(skip the first book, watch the movie)
Star Wars NPR Radio Dramatizations, can't beat John Lithgow as Yoda. Even adds new story.

I'm in the middle of World War Z, and have Dan Brown's Inferno in my queue.