do you only listen to a certain type of music?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I know there are a lot of people who describe themselves as a "metal head" or a "raver" etc where they define themselves by one specific genre

I personally like such a variety of different music. I like everything from metallica, megadeth, rudimental, DJ fresh, arctic monkeys and the rolling stones (to name but a few). Im actually getting more into the percussive EDM which is quite popular at the minute. Id go so far as to say I like everything except the whole boyband/teeny pop genre

So I just thought id ask. Do you like a specific genre or do you have a more varied musical taste? If so what sort of music and bands do you like

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
electronic and Classical. But you can just as easily mix the two to make one super genre.

This doesn't count the fact that electronic music as so many sub genres that it'll make your head spin(same with classical music).

I love instrumental music so I don't have a lot of choices as far as genres that I can love.

Dec 14, 2009
Listening to only one genre of music is like eating only one type of food.

Sure, that might be the best sandwich you ever ate, but there's plenty of other awesome foods out there.

Except country music. Nobody likes country.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I'm a metalhead, but that definitely doesn't mean that I only listen to metal. It's just that most of my favourite music is metal (of many very, very different kinds), I love the atmosphere of metal gigs/festivals, and I like the metal aesthetic and community. I still like music from pretty much every other genre, especially classical, blues, rock and musical theatre.

When someone describes themselves as a metalhead, goth, punk or similar, it doesn't usually mean they exclusively listen to that genre. Just like how someone who describes themselves as an Arsenal fan, goes to very game and wears the shirt is still perfectly capable of enjoying sports other than football.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Of course not. Why would I?

Akkord, Alcest, Alien Ant Farm, Amon Tobin, Arrested Development, Astrud Gilberto, Baden Powell, The Bangles, Ben Howard, Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man, Biosphere, The Black Crowes, The Black Keys, Blind Melon, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Bon Iver, Brad, Brad Mehldau, Burial, Chet Baker, Clark, Darkside, Dave Brubeck, Deafheaven, DJ Krush, Doomtree, Extrawelt, Fink, Gillian Welch, Gridlock, Hauschka, Holy Fuck, James Blake, Jethro Tull, John Coltrane, Jon Hopkins, Jose Gonzalez, Kriss Kross (well, Jump:), Laura Marling, Lewis & Clarke, Locust, Machito, Mastodon, Message to Bears, Michael Jackson, Mouse on the Keys, Nathan Fake, The National, Nils Frahm, Ólafur Arnalds, P.O.S., The Pharcyde, Pharoah Sanders, Radiohead, Ryuichi Sakamoto,...

For a really awesome music psycho-theorist, it could be possible to work out some common thread here but it sure as fuck is not the genres.

There are, however, genres I never listen to:
- music for bumper car rides
- music for people who like musicals
- music to bawl to while being wasted

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I mostly listen to Metal but I do like Classical. That said I don't know a Metalhead that doesn't like Classical. About the only thing I don't like listening to is Hip-hop. I just find it kind of dull.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Nope, I listen to all sorts of different genres. I mean why would I want to limit myself? That would just get boring. If I like the sound of it I'll listen to it.

Granted there are genres that as a general rule I don't really like (R&B and Country for example), but even then there are exceptions.
Daystar Clarion said:
Except for Johnny Cash. He's been everywhere, man! [http://www.johnnycashhasbeeneverywhere.com/]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I think I listen to a wide variety, just on my phone I have eminem, slipknot, hatebreed, blue stahli, god smack, theory of a deadman, linkin park (the old stuff) ... I occasionally listen to classical but I couldn't name a classical song played, like so and so's 5th or something. I just think it can be very beautiful music.

I sometimes throw on beardyman, who is in himself a wide range of music.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
I'm a metalhead, but that definitely doesn't mean that I only listen to metal. It's just that most of my favourite music is metal (of many very, very different kinds), I love the atmosphere of metal gigs/festivals, and I like the metal aesthetic and community. I still like music from pretty much every other genre, especially classical, blues, rock and musical theatre.

When someone describes themselves as a metalhead, goth, punk or similar, it doesn't usually mean they exclusively listen to that genre. Just like how someone who describes themselves as an Arsenal fan, goes to very game and wears the shirt is still perfectly capable of enjoying sports other than football.
Thats a good point. Its just that I know some pretty stubborn metal heads who refuse to listen to anything else (not that theres anything wrong with that)

I dont think I could say I was a fan of any music in particular. Ive been to a lot of metal gigs before (mostly local bands) and I love the atmosphere and everyone is really friendly. Its funny because im fairly into metal yet I dont have the look and I look out of place.

Ive also got into the rave scene and again its really friendly and the whole "its full of drugged up chavs" (which to be fair it kind of is) attitude isnt exactly true. Yes people do drugs (not everyone) and yes there are chavs but its still a really friendly environment

so I guess you could say im somewhere between a chav and a metal head

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Nope.

I used to listen to rock/metal/punk and what have you when I was a kid but, happily, my music taste has diversified since then.

I know it's cliché but I'll listen to any genre as long as I like the music, anything from The Last Waltz and Van Morrison to Rita Ora. To be fair, the older music I listen to tends to have more longevity on my playlists but if a catchy pop/dance tune comes out, chances are I'll listen to it for a couple of weeks.

The only genre, if it even counts as a genre, that I have no time for is that high-pitched, female vocal, electronic anime stuff.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
omega 616 said:
I occasionally listen to classical but I couldn't name a classical song played, like so and so's 5th or something. I just think it can be very beautiful music.
I personally love Krachschritznykoff's Oppek.57 in K-minor!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I listen to all kinds of stuff, but I do tend to stick primarily in a few subgenres most of the time.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I listen to a whole lot of stuff, despite my extreme admiration for the 90's Shoegazing scene.

Recently, I've wanted to get listening to more rap music, having not really scratched the surface of the genre, unlike something like say Post-Punk, which I have pretty much listened to every album that's an essential listen, from the 70's right up to the present day revival era.

Been trying to get into Black Metal too, but I'm really not feeling it. I think I've came to the conclusion it's just not for me. The elitist fans of the genre also kinda pee me off too, because they practically shun the bands of the genre that are trying to be experimental with the sound, but I digress.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
*sings* I like polka! I like punk rock! I like classical opera and jazz! I like Springsteen, and I'll dance to Guitar Wolf like a spaz!

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
For the most part, I'll listen to anything if it has a talented woman singing. I think the opposite tends to be true for women. Hearing a woman who can sing is like sirens calling to me. I'd steer the ship straight into the rocks, if you know what I mean.

Even a small band like Calamine singing the theme song to Sealab [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q8a2jmfMk] would draw me in. "Underneath the water," she sings. Quite fitting.

Dec 14, 2009
Hazy992 said:
Nope, I listen to all sorts of different genres. I mean why would I want to limit myself? That would just get boring. If I like the sound of it I'll listen to it.

Granted there are genres that as a general rule I don't really like (R&B and Country for example), but even then there are exceptions.
Daystar Clarion said:
Except for Johnny Cash. He's been everywhere, man! [http://www.johnnycashhasbeeneverywhere.com/]
Johhny Cash isn't country.

Johnny Cash is a genre all his own XD

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Hazy992 said:

Daystar Clarion said:
Johhny Cash isn't country.

Johnny Cash is a genre all his own XD
Well I guess that explains why I actually like listening to him, then :p

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm mostly pretty elitist in my music preference. The overwhelming majority of it consists of heavy metal, with the largest focus being on death metal. I do, however, have some other music I like which is also very specific - European medieval/folk music and 90's gangsta rap. Outside of those fields, however, I've heard little that interests me. I'm not very open-minded or diverse when it comes to music, though to be frank, I don't see there being anything wrong with that either (so long as it doesn't lead to you judging people based on their own musical preferences, of course).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not at all. There are definitely some genres I tend to favour but there are very few genres I actively avoid and I will listen to (and can enjoy) almost any genre.