Do you play games of the same series back to back?

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Not really, no.
A good series is usually spread over several consoles, making those whose consoles bite the dust difficult to replay everything in a particular order. Not to mention, earlier entries in a series are often mechanically inferior, so playing them won't be as enjoyable as playing an entry further on in the series.
That being said, I won Suikoden 1 and 2 back to back recently.
It doesn't add much to the experience, but was still pretty fun.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
The only time I've really done this was when I first got my 3DS; Ocarina of Time 3D was followed by my free ambassador copy of Minish Cap, then came Skyward Sword followed by eShop download of Link's Awakening. Otherwise I try to avoid it, I like to keep my intake varied.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
When I buy and HD collection yea, I did that with God of War, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter and most recently Ratchet and Clank.

I also did it when I discovered the Uncharted series just a few months ago.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
I´m currently almost half way through an epic Insanity playthrough of all three Mass Effect games, only problem is I´ve played them all like a bazillion times, so it´s getting increasingly difficult to get suzcked in...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
All the time.
I did it with a replay of all the Kingdom Hearts games a few months ago.
A few years ago I did it with FF 8,9,10, 10-2 and 12.
Now I'm working on the Atelier series, I do admit the back to back Jrpgs wreck me but it's worth it.
Though I don't only do this with Jrpgs, they were just my best example.

O, just remembered that right now I'm building courage for back to back Metal Gear Solid...
I'm going to die aren't I?

Kalikin

Aug 28, 2010
I do that quite a bit, not that I replay games very often. I replayed Metal Gear Solid 1-3 right before MGS4 came out, and also Valkyrie Profile just before I got my hands on VP2.

Otherwise I find quite often that I get interested in game series' that have been going for a while, and decide to play them all in order. Did that with Yakuza (1-4 back-to-back), and also with the two Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga games. After deciding to do everything in DDS1 (except the superboss. Seriously, screw that) I got some really bad burnout in the second game... Actually, I think I quit at the start of the final dungeon...

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
No, Ive tried a few times but I find myself missing the refined gameplay features added in the sequels most of the time.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Did it with Fallout 3 and New Vegas (2nd playthrough for both after I got the DLC).

Besides that I don't think it's a good idea, I got bored halfway through AC Brotherhood after playing it following 2.

For the most part I try to space it out.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Elect G-Max said:
Rarely, if ever, do I even HAVE all of the games of a series. For those... um... TWO franchises where I used to have every single entry before they made a hundred more, there was always an entry that I started but never finished. I have yet to finish Riven or the original C&C.
Yeah I'm with you there- I haven't even got around to getting Myst 3 onwards, since I haven't finished Riven and it sort of seems like the sort of game series you need to do in order.

Plus I hear Riven is the hardest of the lot :p

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Not generally speaking, but if I am buying a direct sequel when it comes out then I tend to play through it's prequels to 'refresh' myself.

So for example I played through Gears of War 1 and 2 just before Gears of War 3 came out.

I did it with Mass Effect as well, although I consider that to be different as I did it to get my ideal build ready for the sequel.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 back to back...then I started 3 and couldn't do it anymore. Besides that:
Knights of the Old Republic
Gears of War
Portal

I want to play the Halo games back to back, as well as Prince of Persia series (not the cell-shaded one).

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Not often, although I'm currently doing it with Killzone 2 and 3, and loving every minute of it :)

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
TopazFusion said:
Yes, if they're all in my backlog.
gmaverick019 said:
Assassins Creed
It's really jarring the way they changed the appearance of the main characters in Revelations, especially if you've only just finished Brotherhood.
I thought it might be because Desmond and Ezio use the same model, but then Desmond looks almost middle-eastern to me in Revelations.

That was definitely a...huhwhat? moment for me.

I've recently played Brotherhood and Revelations as a run-up to 3; not sure if it really benefitted anything, apart from highlighting how much better Revelations is than Brotherhood and how aggressively linear some of the missions get, as opposed to 1 and 2.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I do plan to eventually do a Mass Effect playthrough in one epic sweep, but I think it's probably too close to ME3 still (and I had to replay ME2 just before anyway, since I deleted the save I'd had on my HDD for 2 fucking years 2 weeks prior to release) and actually, I'm slightly wary of how well I'm going to be able to take playing the first again. I played it loads originally, but not since before the second was released, and I'm really not convinced the combat's going to hold up.

And the fucking inventory. I am not ready to face that again.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Don't usually do it but for Mass Effect I played all 3 back to back since I only got interested like 3 months after ME3 was released.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Ask me two months ago and I would have told you Kingdom Hearts was a terrible game.

But then I played Kingdom Hearts all the way through...

...then I played Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories all the way through.

...then I played Kingdom Hearts II all the way through.

...then I played Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance all the way through.

...then I played Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep all the way through.

...then I played Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days all the way through.

---

In case you're wondering, yes I did play 6 of the 7 Kingdom Hearts games back-to-back over two months (adds up to almost 200 hours).

I'm slightly ashamed...

Ask me 3 months ago and I would have told you anime sucked.

Then I watched all 54 episodes of Digimon...

...then I watched all 51 episodes of Soul Eater

...then I watched all 25 episodes of Black Butler

...then I watched all 37 episodes of Death Note

...then I watched all 12 episodes of Black Butler II

...then I watched... god I can't even keep track.

Needless to say I need to broaden my horizons more often.

But back on topic for those of you who read the spoiler...

Most games I get really tired of if I play them back-to-back. Especially Mario games.. They're all the same, but they're all fun... but they're still all the same.

Oh, I also played Paper Mario 1 and 2 right in a row and almost went out and got the Wii one, but decided I really should take a break. Can't spend ALL my time with video games, what with the lady friend needing attention.

Bet you weren't expecting that last part. Stop jumping to conclusions!

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Things like Halo or Half - Life, yes. Huge spanning RPGs like Elder Scrolls. No way.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I remember playing Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger back to back.
but that was because I was in college and had nothing better to do with y spare time.

But it helps understand and appreciate the small references and cameos that characters and setting fo the earlier game makes on the sequels.
if you are not fond of looking for stuff like that, then I dont think you ever need to play game back to back.