Do you remember the time that the CG cutscenes was the real reward for playing the whole game?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Do you remember? I am sure you remember really well.

In the old days it is not a lie to say at least all the 3D games had terrible graphics. But we didn't care because it was something normal to us to begin with. For example the graphic of FF7 was a masterpiece back then or the graphics of Sin. And of course most of the games was very enjoyable to play, even today.

But, do you remember when you were younger you just wanted to play the game so to see the next CG cutscene? For me I had too reasons for that:

-The CG cutscenes had better graphics that the actually game. This alone it was a reason for me as a small child to see something extraordinary and beatiful.

-The full knowledge that the specific part of the game you see this CG in the game, is something special for the game. An old gamer like me, I knew back then when the game showed to me a CG cutscenes, I knew it would be something special and exciting or a very important part of the game that the game let you know about that.

A very good example is the game Parasite Eve for PSX.
All the CG cutscenes from the beginning to end play a specific role in the game.
To introduce you to your first enemy, to see for the first time your main antagonist of the game, to see that clearly the one you will fight it is a boss, to see an awesome battle that it was impossible for the time to be a part of the gameplay, to see the your main antagonist dying in a painful way, and many other things.

It was something special for me when the game one of the ways to say "thank you" for playing this game, is too show to you CG cutscenes.
And that it one of the reasons also I really, REALLY liked the old games. Yes, I must admit one part for liking the old games is nostalgia, but an other reason is the one I just told you above.

------------------------------

With that said, I would like also to ask what do you believe about this?
Do you think I have right to feel like that?
If the new games that we have now followed this "old formula", it would be much better for the satisfaction of player like us?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I remember when unlockable weapons, suits, gadgets, maps etc. were rewards for doing something awesome. Now they turned those rewards into DLC with a price tag. Fuck all of our lives.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Nope, never needed rewards to play the game. I couldn't care less if they advanced the story with a CG custscene, in-game cutscene or plain text on white background.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
I know what you mean, actually. The CG cutscenes used to be really awesome in games that only had a few. They were a small break from normal gameplay to show you something important in a cinematic way. Even in modern games like Mass Effect, I still like the cutscenes a great deal.

Maybe I should just start watching movies or something..

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well you haveto consider how things used to be done, games were composed of poorly animated sprites or boxy models only barely resembling what they were supposed to depict, and on top of that story was just delivered in a wall of text and the occasional groan, but mostly games were not built around stories but rather had them laid on top as extras.
So then you got to the CG cutscene where everything was presented 1000x better, obviously it blew you away, and mostly that was the only solid delivery of story after you completed some random mission you got the desert that really carried the whole taste of the game.

You can probably see why these cutscenes were such a big deal, it was actually set up as a task - reward system, and in new games where both are blended the cutscene just doesn't stand out.
When the gameplay already delivers most of the experience that extra bit isn't feeling quite so special, heck in some cases it starts to feel worse because all that changes is the player loosing game control.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Do you have the right to feel like that"?

That's a bizarre question.

And yes, I remember. I prefer how they do things now though. I like my cutscenes in-engine. That way you don't get the sudden jarring shift between cutscene-o-vision and the actual game world.

Besides, in games where the cutscenes are the "real reward" I just watch them on Youtube and not bother with the gameplay.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
For me the reward was in seeing the credits, you were not always able to make it to the credits back then, and this was before they started putting a 'credits' option on the title screen. So it was immensely satisfying when you beat a difficult game and could sit back with a smile on your face as the credits rolled.

These days I can't skip the credits fast enough haha... Same goes for the cutscenes in most cases too, I've always hated cutscenes.

I don't think new games should go back to the old ways though, new games have a lot more in the way of rewards that appeal to people who maybe don't like CG cutscenes. Like myself.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I remember loving those cutscenes so much.
I was a big Final Fantasy fan, and this was a time before Youtube.

I had to use Kaaza and other file sharing programs to find those videos.
Lots of ....trail and error there.

This is still my favorite.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I never really liked CG cutscenes.

Best example I can think of as to why not, there was this PS2 game called Rogue Galaxy. You had a bunch of unlockables costumes for each character, and I found one that I really liked on the protagonist. But in the CG cutscenes, it just slapped him into his regular boring looking stuff.

Dashiva

Jul 29, 2012
The first two Oddworlds on PS1 did that for me - loved the cutscenes there when I was younger. Also, the Sligs looked like my grandmother.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
TheKasp said:
No, I don't remember that. Because I never liked cutscenes to begin with, I prefer not to be taken out of the world into "shiny CG glasses vision". I also never needed a reward to play through a game since finishing it was reward enough.
On that we can agree, apart from the incentives for a NG, like extra powers, etc.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That wasn't a thing in any game I remember playing as a kid, though I only had an NES and N64 growing up.

The rewards the next level and unlockable weapons/items. Sometimes a "cheat mode" could become available (though that was often accessible through a code too). I remember turning on "All Weapons" mode while playing Goldeneye on the hardest difficulty. I'd try to beat levels using only the watch laser. Didn't work out too well, though.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I didn't see it as a reward , but i saw the end cutscene as a " thank you for playing , now watch this awsome cutscene we have prepare forthe faithful few who were able to complete this game ".

Now a days , with cutscenes everywhere i find that there is too much watching and not enough playing . Quite frankly i no longer care what game developpers do now , i'm done . I'm going to start retro gaming . NES to current gen . Since eveyone these days say my preference is due to nostalgia , i'm let them keep their DLC and Digital downloads and DRM . I'ma stay in what i consider the golden age of gaming , and enjoy every moment of it instead of complaining about everything .

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I think it's the sort of thing you notice when done right (such as in Kingdom Hearts, perhaps). When it is a common occurrence (such as in the most recent Square Enix games) it is less notable and simply more accepted by the player.