Do you remember the time that the CG cutscenes was the real reward for playing the whole game?

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
You certainly have the right to feel like that, but I don't agree.
I play video games for the gameplay, so the actual game IS the reward for me, the cutscenes are just like short break before getting back into the fun.
I'm not a fan of that jarring cutscene graphical transition because it just tells me that they spent a lot of effort on this thing that has nothing to do with the gameplay, and it just looks out of place.
But to each his own.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Yes i rememberer it, and no i don't want it's return. old model is old for reason. i like my CG cutscenes like they are now. Only reward i seek from game is experience of a game itself, CG cutscenes with plot or beautiful scenery enhances this experience.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
I remember, I bought FF13 on launch and that was the best part of the game up to the point the discs became Frisbee's.

But yeah, I do recall very early 3D being that sort of "cutscenes are a reward" deal which doesn't work very well as a design concept anymore and thank christ.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I remember when unlockable weapons, suits, gadgets, maps etc. were rewards for doing something awesome. Now they turned those rewards into DLC with a price tag. Fuck all of our lives.
I'm going to go with this. This was my answer, anyhow. Oh, how I miss unlockables.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
denseWorm said:
Warcraft 3. I lived and breathed for it's cinematics, not only for their beauty and storytelling value, but also so I could show them off to my doubting friends.
A hundred times this... I still once in a while open up the fight with Mannoroth on youtube to feel the epic shivers I got when I was a kid.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The only game I had as a kid that employed pre-rendered (if we're being technical, the entire game is CG) cutscenes was Tekken 3. So I never played a game because of the cutscenes.

I was always under the impression that playing the game was its own reward.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
This is a big part of the reason it bugs me when people start going on and on about how cutscenes don't belong in games, and how the Half Life method is the best method, despite being little more than cutscenes with less consistent and often inferior directing, due to the player being able to move the camera around. A good cutscene is a reward, something the dev gives you for playing well enough to advance in the game. I would say you have to be a certain age to feel this way, but since a lot of the people who push it *cough*ExtraCredits*cough* are significantly older than I am, and well into the age bracket in question, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I loved the cutscenes in Halo (1-3), it gave me time to go to the bathroom without my character being controlled by my friends to commit suicide and losing all my stuff in splitscreen.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Baldurs "Awesome" Gate 1 and 2 had really spellbinding, yet short, cutscenes for a lot of occations. The best one IMO is when
Irenicus wakes up in hell and gets overrun by demons. Serves you right, you selfish ****!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
denseWorm said:
Warcraft 3. I lived and breathed for it's cinematics, not only for their beauty and storytelling value, but also so I could show them off to my doubting friends.
Those where in the program files and could be played with Windows media player. I just thought you should know.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I never remember seeing them as the whole reward for playing the game I mean if im not enjoying the game most of the time I wont be playing it just to see a damn CG movie, but that said when done well they could act as rewards yes rewards dont always have to be the same you may get a new ability or a greater understanding of game mecahnics or another plot revelation, character, piece of artwork or yes even a CG movie (and many more) all can work well when implemented properly.

I enjoy all these when they are used well the CG movie being among them but it was never the real reward to play the game just one of many and not all rewards fit all games.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Shaegor said:
denseWorm said:
A hundred times this... I still once in a while open up the fight with Mannoroth on youtube to feel the epic shivers I got when I was a kid.
Yep, pretty much this.
Although Warcraft 3's in-game graphics weren't bad either, considering.

Earlier 3D games have NOT aged well, graphically (FF7). Their cinematic cut-scenes have fared much better.
For that reason, you can kind of understand developers' misguided obsession with graphics over game-play and story. They'll figure out eventually that cinematics were only meant to be the icing on an already delicious cake.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
No I remember when such scenes were expensive as hell for companies to do so they did very few of them.

I played games because I enjoyed them, not because there was a "pretty picture" awaiting me nearby. If I wanted pretty pictures I would have gone and seen a movie.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
They were not great unless they fit with the game.

Here is a great use of them:

Even if you never played past Generation 1 or hate the newer ones, you have to admit, that's badass (You fight it right after)

Here is the worst use of them:

(Please skip to 4:08 to see what I mean, it goes from a burning city and somewhat interesting new guy to....ugh....)

In my opinion can they take away ALOT from the experience. But then again, Sonic 06' was fucking awful.

superdark

Jul 7, 2012
Yeah, I remember feeling that way. Within cut-scenes was where the story would normally progress, so I liked them. They were different back in those days though, they only lasted a minute or so tops, so they didn't wast your fucking time with it, (I'm looking at you Metal Gear.)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. I never felt that way. Cut-scenes were never that rewarding to me. Oddly, now I actually know that cutscenes are just about the worst gift you can give someone. Lets reward all your hard work and gameplay by taking away control and shoving our own view of things down your throat. What you wanted to play that or don't agree with how the story plays out? Too bad! we control the vertical and the horizontal, bitches!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I was gonna post what these two posted:

Matthew94 said:
No, even when games used them like in FF7 I never really cared that much about them.
Adam Jensen said:
I remember when unlockable weapons, suits, gadgets, maps etc. were rewards for doing something awesome. Now they turned those rewards into DLC with a price tag. Fuck all of our lives.
But instead, I'll just agree. The second part was the bigger one for me. I loved dozens of unlockable prizes. A shame they're dead.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
A reward? Can't say they ever felt like that. They sure were neat to see though. Prefer that hgiher quality cinematics are no longer required though and we can simply have in game engine cutcenes now.