Do you smile at strangers in the street?

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
It depends on my mood but I mostly smile. It just makes me feel good to walk through the streets with my head held high and a smile on my face. It's also awesome to catch someone off guard. That little moment in time you can see them think: huh? oh gawd HOW DO I SMILE BACK! Priceless.

And I know it makes my days if someone actually smiles at me so I try to return the favor.

tehfeen83

Oct 17, 2010
T3hMonk3y said:
tehfeen said:
T3hMonk3y said:
tehfeen said:
T3hMonk3y said:
tehfeen said:
EternalFacepalm said:
tehfeen said:
I will smile at strangers in the street, but only if I know them.
Here you go! [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stranger]

I generally don't. Smiling is awkward in general to me, especially to people I've never met.
Wow, thanks for the lesson! Here's one for you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke
Jokes are meant to be funny........
Yeah, I thought my joke was pretty funny, glad you liked it too. Thanks my best pal!
Awk, thats cute he can't read :3 well you have a good time buddy!
Thanks mate! It's great we're such good friends! I really feel like we have a lot in common, same sense of humor etc. We should hang out, you like go karts?
Its like I've known you all my life, sure we weren't seperated at birth? Yeah I love go karts!
Haha well played sir, well played.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Nope, maybe it's just an English thing or a misconception on my part but in my experience people tend to find it kind of weird when people randomly smile at them.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
My friends mum, for 2 years smiled at this same woman every day on the way to work. After 2 years, the woman asked her to coffee and they became friends. N'yaaaw!
I've experienced something somewhat similar, actually. I took a bus to school for two years (during winters) and every morning, an elderly man who looks exactly like Robert DeNiro got on at the next stop, after mine. I thought "That's DeNiro" every time I saw him.

Then, I stopped taking the bus for a while. I walked or biked to school every morning, even during winters. A few months ago, however, I feel lazy, so I take the bus. DeNiro's there.

I get off at my stop, and for the first time ever, he gets off at the same one. I think "Now or never", and I walk up to him and say

Im sorry, but you look exactly like Robert DeNiro.

He looks at me, then says

I know.

We part, and from now on, everytime I see him, we greet eachother with a nod.

I know Robert DeNiro.
That's a great little story, would be better if he said "I know. I am"
But nooo :(

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
My friends mum, for 2 years smiled at this same woman every day on the way to work. After 2 years, the woman asked her to coffee and they became friends. N'yaaaw!
I've experienced something somewhat similar, actually. I took a bus to school for two years (during winters) and every morning, an elderly man who looks exactly like Robert DeNiro got on at the next stop, after mine. I thought "That's DeNiro" every time I saw him.

Then, I stopped taking the bus for a while. I walked or biked to school every morning, even during winters. A few months ago, however, I feel lazy, so I take the bus. DeNiro's there.

I get off at my stop, and for the first time ever, he gets off at the same one. I think "Now or never", and I walk up to him and say

I know.

I know Robert DeNiro.
I could tell it again and lie? Would you like that?

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:

I know.

I know Robert DeNiro.
Go on then ;)

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
If we make eye-contact, I'll nod and smile in acknowledgement that I've just shared a moment with them. Most people are rather taken aback, and it's always fun to see the look of realization wash over them. Almost as if they were alone in the universe a moment ago.

But I don't seek it out, no. I generally have places to go and things to do.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
If I make eye contact with someone, I usually give them what I hope is a disarming smile. Just because I look like a creeper doesn't make me one.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:

I know.

I know Robert DeNiro.
Go on then ;)
I took a bus to school for two years (during winters) and every morning, an elderly man who looks exactly like Robert DeNiro got on at the next stop, after mine. I thought "That's DeNiro" every time I saw him.

WATCH OUT, LIZARDMEN AT 12 O'CLOCK

I turn around, pull out my 8 gauge and blast the first three back into the jurassic era. I shout "cover me", as I turn around in a sweeping motion, picking off pesky prehistoric predators one by one, clearing the other side of the street in mere seconds. All of a sudden, I hear a familiar voice.

Captain Killosaur.

"We meet again", he says, as he gets into his giant mech suit and then goes on to fire missile after missile at me, and I barely manage to evade them, thanks to my skills in Fujitsu (no big deal)

Captain Killosaur screams in anger, as his final missile, the MARTYKILLER 2000? approaches me at a disconcerting speed. I freeze in fear, yet as the reptilian's rocket is barely two meters in front of me, it stops.

The stranger from the bus is holding it, waiting for all the fuel to burn out.

I ask him, coughing with blood and exhaustion:

"How.. How are you doing this?"

He groans and gives out a final scream, as the flames suddenly vanish from the rear of the missile. I glance at Captain Killasaur in his mech, obviously impressed by what this man can do. His reptile eyes (except for one of them because he has an eyepatch) are but reflections of an ocean of fear. I turn to the stranger, and ask him again:

"How?"

He whispers:

"I am Robert DeNiro"

And with that, he flings the rocket back at the giant mech, and Captain Killosaur and all the other baddies were gone forever. The End.

Good enough?

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:

I know.

I know Robert DeNiro.
Go on then ;)
I took a bus to school for two years (during winters) and every morning, an elderly man who looks exactly like Robert DeNiro got on at the next stop, after mine. I thought "That's DeNiro" every time I saw him.

WATCH OUT, LIZARDMEN AT 12 O'CLOCK

I turn around, pull out my 8 gauge and blast the first three back into the jurassic era. I shout "cover me", as I turn around in a sweeping motion, picking off pesky prehistoric predators one by one, clearing the other side of the street in mere seconds. All of a sudden, I hear a familiar voice.

Captain Killosaur.

"We meet again", he says, as he gets into his giant mech suit and then goes on to fire missile after missile at me, and I barely manage to evade them, thanks to my skills in Fujitsu (no big deal)

Captain Killosaur screams in anger, as his final missile, the MARTYKILLER 2000? approaches me at a disconcerting speed. I freeze in fear, yet as the reptilian's rocket is barely two meters in front of me, it stops.

The stranger from the bus is holding it, waiting for all the fuel to burn out.

I ask him, coughing with blood and exhaustion:

"How.. How are you doing this?"

He groans and gives out a final scream, as the flames suddenly vanish from the rear of the missile. I glance at Captain Killasaur in his mech, obviously impressed by what this man can do. His reptile eyes (except for one of them because he has an eyepatch) are but reflections of an ocean of fear. I turn to the stranger, and ask him again:

"How?"

He whispers:

"I am Robert DeNiro"

And with that, he flings the rocket back at the giant mech, and Captain Killosaur and all the other baddies were gone forever. The End.

Good enough?
I... I think this might be my favourite post I have seen on the Escapist... at least the favourite quoted to me.... thank you so much, you've made me very happy. I LOVE YOU.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
LuckyClover95 said:
I... I think this might be my favourite post I have seen on the Escapist... at least the favourite quoted to me.... thank you so much, you've made me very happy. I LOVE YOU.
Meet me at the bridge at midnight. We are to marry by 1 pm, and then run to Cuba to begin our new lives as jewelry thieves!

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
Meet me at the bridge at midnight. We are to marry by 1 pm, and then run to Cuba to begin our new lives as jewelry thieves!
First, we must kidnap DeNiro. Silly man cannot evade capture when he takes the same bus every day.
But yeah, marriage and Cuba, jewel thievery, good plan.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
LuckyClover95 said:
DonMartin said:
LuckyClover95 said:
First, we must kidnap DeNiro. Silly man cannot evade capture when he takes the same bus every day.
But yeah, marriage and Cuba, jewel thievery, good plan.
He must stay on Bus #3, my love. He is waiting for the inevitable return of Captain Killosaur.

He.. Will.. Return..

(cue hand suddenly punching it's way out of rubble)

May 5, 2010
Can't afford to. I live on campus at a university, so religious nuts, army recruiters, and hippie saddlebags[footnote]This is what my spellcheck suggested instead of "doucebag". I've decided to take it's advice. Maybe it'll catch on.[/footnote] are everywhere, just waiting to give me a lecture. Don't want to attract their attention.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I do in the village (inhabited by around 400 people, all of none of whom I know) but when I'm anywhere else I usually don't.