Do you still play old games online?

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
Do any of you still play old games multiplayer?
I've tried once or twice but unless it's with friends it's near on impossible to find games.

I guess what I'm getting at is where do you go to find people to play with if you want to have a session on an old game? - Short of the games inbuilt MP lobby. I don't think i've ever come across a forum/site that has a section for this.

It would be cool to do a multiplayer run through of games like Rainbow Six original series for example but I guess people just view these games as unplayable and/or dead.

I'm interested to know if any of you still play old games online with people - since this community is a nice mix of 'decent' gamers that won't just reply with "zomg, latest COD onlyzz"

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Sadly no, I wish I could get someone to coop baldurs gate with (Trying to get my friends into this game has been impossible).

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
It depends what you consider old.

I was still playing CS:Source in 2009.

I was still playing DotA allstars when the HoN beta came out and my friends all moved across.

I still play Halo: Reach and Black Ops on occasion.

I agree that it's almost pointless trying to play with people who you don't know.
You could consider joining a community group. Generation Game or [GenG] are a pretty cool community which started on the Escapist, but there's not a whole bunch of activity.
Destructoid's community is also pretty good for weird old games too.

lRookiel said:
Sadly no, I wish I could get someone to coop baldurs gate with (Trying to get my friends into this game has been impossible).
I know some people who would play co-op bg with you.

I would offer but I know I'd get too busy.
My gaming is sporadic and comes in 18 hour bursts every 3 weeks - 3 months.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Depends on what old means; I've played TF2 & Company of Heroes since launch and have played Counter Strike: Source for a while.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
unless it's prearranged with friends. no but i do still play on a private server for Halo and Counter Strike with said friends on a weekly basis.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I occasionally get the urge to play some Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight but I'm not even sure if the game has an in-game multiplayer lobby. I mean it looks like it does but no one is ever on it. Most people used to play through MSN's Zone (remember when that was a thing?) and after that went down it just got harder to find people to play with.

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
Gatx said:
I occasionally get the urge to play some Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight but I'm not even sure if the game has an in-game multiplayer lobby. I mean it looks like it does but no one is ever on it. Most people used to play through MSN's Zone (remember when that was a thing?) and after that went down it just got harder to find people to play with.
Ah, haven't heard someone mention that in ages! I used to use that to match-make Rogue Spear games!
Happy to hear that UT 99 still has players,I last played it about 18months ago and managed to find a game quite easily! Swat 4 seems to have a fairly active server list too.
Thanks for the input, just wondered if there was a secretive site somewhere where people who enjoyed older games online set up lobbies!

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
medal of honor allied assault, 10 years old but i can still find a match once in a while. Just jump in and get absolutely owned, but its still good fun.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Me and a friend still try Magic 2012 from time to time. It's a bit more difficult to find 2v2 matches now though.

I miss the days of our Auramancer/Grave Whispers deck combo.

I wish Skullgirls still had a fraction of its playerbase left. It is completely barren of all life now and has been for a few months. It's a really fun game and I honestly can't tell you why it died so suddenly. Unless everyone moved onto SFXT which I doubt because it was sort of a colossal failure in many people's eyes.

Hope to god the P4A community isn't dead by the time it arrives in the UK... Over 2 months late I might add. Hell it might not even get an EU playerbase started at all because people have forgotten about it.

There's having publishing problems then there's just being plain old incompetent.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
the oldest console i have that was actually heavy on the internet connectivity is a dreamcast. i'm pretty sure all of the servers have been shut down by now.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
lRookiel said:
Where are you from? I've liked the idea of doing a six man BG play though. It would make a nice change to just control a single character. I'd ideally love to have a new player take on the roll of the Baahl Spawn and chose the direction of the story.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
I still played CS:Source actively (usually 2-5 times a week) right up until CS:Global Offensive came out.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I once tried to get back into Warcraft 3 battlenet, but I rather enjoy playing it and Starcraft with my friends through LAN.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If I enjoy the game and the community is still active then sure. I had a go on CS:Source. I died. Quickly

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Blunderboy said:
lRookiel said:
Where are you from? I've liked the idea of doing a six man BG play though. It would make a nice change to just control a single character. I'd ideally love to have a new player take on the roll of the Baahl Spawn and chose the direction of the story.
Does it work like having a 6 man party of player created characters?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
PieBrotherTB said:
Blunderboy said:
lRookiel said:
Does it work like having a 6 man party of player created characters?
I believe so. You can even decide which players can talk to NPC's and make purchases.