Do you still play old games online?

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I still play CS: Source, I tried playing Battlefield 2 a few years back, I sometimes play CoD4 MP and a few days ago I tried finding a game of MW2.
Occasionally I'll try playing one of the UT games online as well, and unlike MW2 you can actually find games!

Other games I tried playing online without much success; GRAW. The multiplayer was slightly active for a few weeks and then died completely.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
I still play UT '99 every now and then. It's still surprisingly active!
Yeah, that's true of pretty much any PC game -- if the online was worth playing in the first place, it'll last at least 10 years. Exceptional games will last even longer. For example:

Gatx said:
I occasionally get the urge to play some Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight but I'm not even sure if the game has an in-game multiplayer lobby. I mean it looks like it does but no one is ever on it. Most people used to play through MSN's Zone (remember when that was a thing?) and after that went down it just got harder to find people to play with.
Last I looked, people still played the original Jedi Knight online. As far as I know, there's a couple of servers still running, which you have to add manually by IP address. There may also be a community made MSN Zone replacer, like the community for X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance has.

Edit: As for old games I still play online, I regularly play Battlefront 2, semi-regularly play Battlefield 2, and occasionally hop on UT99. All three have active enough communities that at least one server is mostly full at any time of the day. Heck, Battlefield 1942 still has an active community.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Blunderboy said:
lRookiel said:
Sadly no, I wish I could get someone to coop baldurs gate with (Trying to get my friends into this game has been impossible).
Where are you from? I've liked the idea of doing a six man BG play though. It would make a nice change to just control a single character. I'd ideally love to have a new player take on the roll of the Baahl Spawn and chose the direction of the story.
I am incredibly interested in doing this. If anyone makes this happen please let me know, as I've wanted to do this for many years but either couldn't find interested people, or they didn't have their own computer...etc.

To respond to the topic about a year ago I was pleasantly surprised to find there were still people playing Quake 3 Arena (probably because it's still awesome) and they're decently cool people at that.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Me and a friend still try Magic 2012 from time to time. It's a bit more difficult to find 2v2 matches now though.

I miss the days of our Auramancer/Grave Whispers deck combo.

I wish Skullgirls still had a fraction of its playerbase left. It is completely barren of all life now and has been for a few months. It's a really fun game and I honestly can't tell you why it died so suddenly. Unless everyone moved onto SFXT which I doubt because it was sort of a colossal failure in many people's eyes.

Hope to god the P4A community isn't dead by the time it arrives in the UK... Over 2 months late I might add. Hell it might not even get an EU playerbase started at all because people have forgotten about it.

There's having publishing problems then there's just being plain old incompetent.
Got Xbox 360 for Skullgirls? I think most people are just waiting for patches and new content. Still, Kyosai7 on Xbox Live for Skullgirls!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
kyosai7 said:
The Wykydtron said:
Me and a friend still try Magic 2012 from time to time. It's a bit more difficult to find 2v2 matches now though.

I wish Skullgirls still had a fraction of its playerbase left. It is completely barren of all life now and has been for a few months. It's a really fun game and I honestly can't tell you why it died so suddenly. Unless everyone moved onto SFXT which I doubt because it was sort of a colossal failure in many people's eyes.

Hope to god the P4A community isn't dead by the time it arrives in the UK... Over 2 months late I might add. Hell it might not even get an EU playerbase started at all because people have forgotten about it.

There's having publishing problems then there's just being plain old incompetent.
Got Xbox 360 for Skullgirls? I think most people are just waiting for patches and new content. Still, Kyosai7 on Xbox Live for Skullgirls!
Whenever people tell me that everyone is only waiting for patches I really want to believe them since I like the game and don't want it to die but... It just seems unreasonable that literally everyone who used to play the game is only waiting for patches/character DLC then they'll flood back onto the servers like nothing is wrong.

There is literally nobody, not a single soul playing Skullgirls, at least in the EU searches. Surely a decent chunk of people would still be playing it regardless of how much they want DLC if they're still interested in the game?

My XBL name is "The Wykydtron7" because some dick stole my 3IOB reference before I could use it :/

Add me if you want, i'm not on as much nowadays though. I'm playing too much LoL and FTL recently. XD

If you play UMVC3 we could get a game going more reliably I think. I can deal with the types of lag UMVC3 throws at me occasionally. It's usually just some input latency, not too bad.

Still I wouldn't trust a decent game of SG unless you're in the EU regions, as good as the game plays in a somewhat local area in say EU to NA distances it's laggy as hell.

Plus I suck. I devised a cool Valentine combo just abusing her hitstun extension needle to loop as much shit as possible without triggering the Infinite Protection System (while dashing mid-combo to keep it going if it's not in the corner) I was super hyped to pull it off online, pulled it off then, and only then I noticed it did fuck all damage because lol damage scaling is a thing.

My Parasoul is so bad... Valentine/Parasoul is my main team but try to imagine Valentine just carrying Parasoul across the finishing line, bridal style with Parasoul occasionally willing herself into existence for one second to maybe help with a decently timed Napalm Pillar assist.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
kyosai7 said:
The Wykydtron said:

Whenever people tell me that everyone is only waiting for patches I really want to believe them since I like the game and don't want it to die but... It just seems unreasonable that literally everyone who used to play the game is only waiting for patches/character DLC then they'll flood back onto the servers like nothing is wrong.

There is literally nobody, not a single soul playing Skullgirls, at least in the EU searches. Surely a decent chunk of people would still be playing it regardless of how much they want DLC if they're still interested in the game?

My XBL name is "The Wykydtron7" because some dick stole my 3IOB reference before I could use it :/

Add me if you want, i'm not on as much nowadays though. I'm playing too much LoL and FTL recently. XD

If you play UMVC3 we could get a game going more reliably I think. I can deal with the types of lag UMVC3 throws at me occasionally. It's usually just some input latency, not too bad.

Still I wouldn't trust a decent game of SG unless you're in the EU regions, as good as the game plays in a somewhat local area in say EU to NA distances it's laggy as hell.

Plus I suck. I devised a cool Valentine combo just abusing her hitstun extension needle to loop as much shit as possible without triggering the Infinite Protection System (while dashing mid-combo to keep it going if it's not in the corner) I was super hyped to pull it off online, pulled it off then, and only then I noticed it did fuck all damage because lol damage scaling is a thing.

My Parasoul is so bad... Valentine/Parasoul is my main team but try to imagine Valentine just carrying Parasoul across the finishing line, bridal style with Parasoul occasionally willing herself into existence for one second to maybe help with a decently timed Napalm Pillar assist.
Don't have UMvC3. I do have Soul Calibur 5, King of Fighters 13 and Tekken 6, though. I'm also wanting to get Dead or Alive 5 at some point. Digitally, I have King of Fighters 2002, Skullgirls, and SSF2THDR.

Also, <3 3IoB

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
kyosai7 said:
Don't have UMvC3. I do have Soul Calibur 5, King of Fighters 13 and Tekken 6, though. I'm also wanting to get Dead or Alive 5 at some point. Digitally, I have King of Fighters 2002, Skullgirls, and SSF2THDR.

Also, <3 3IoB
I miss King of Fighters...

its tough to play old games unless you arrange it with friends, and right now all my friends no longer game.

I have this version of King of FightersKing of Fighters [http://bit.ly/Jneeor] to reminisce.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I sometimes try to play the original Dawn of war games again sometimes but usually give up because my CD codes to unlock the races in multiplayer have stopped working -_-

It's so damn annoying, im not sure if I would call it unreasonable DRM but it has pretty much stopped me from playing them online anymore.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I guess Battlefront 2 is old? It's not that old really... Well, we do play that some times, but coop. Not many people seem to play, but there still are a bunch of servers running.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
DrunkOnEstus said:
Blunderboy said:
lRookiel said:
Sadly no, I wish I could get someone to coop baldurs gate with (Trying to get my friends into this game has been impossible).
Where are you from? I've liked the idea of doing a six man BG play though. It would make a nice change to just control a single character. I'd ideally love to have a new player take on the roll of the Baahl Spawn and chose the direction of the story.
I am incredibly interested in doing this. If anyone makes this happen please let me know, as I've wanted to do this for many years but either couldn't find interested people, or they didn't have their own computer...etc.

To respond to the topic about a year ago I was pleasantly surprised to find there were still people playing Quake 3 Arena (probably because it's still awesome) and they're decently cool people at that.
I'd certainly be innarested too, although absolute dedication is...negligible...I don't really go for long-form multiplayer much, because RL.

Aren't there places on the internet that basically run servers for the purpose of multiplayer on older titles (like AoE etc)

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'd still play battlefield 1942 every week if there was still anyone else playing it online over here...

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Angie7F said:
kyosai7 said:

Also, <3 3IoB
I miss King of Fighters...

its tough to play old games unless you arrange it with friends, and right now all my friends no longer game.

I have this version of King of FightersKing of Fighters [http://bit.ly/Jneeor] to reminisce.
You should get 2002 off Xbox Live ($10) or 13 ($30 at GameStop) Both are fantastic.