Do you still play on older consoles?

sfried

Dec 20, 2007
dungeonmaster said:
nope, never
anyone want to buy final fantasy 2 for snes?
I will. How much?

On the occassion I will play with my old Nintendos. SNES in particular, with games ranging from Star Fox, Super Scope, Kirby Superstar, and Yoshi's Island. I don't get to play that often. But when I do, the urge often comes from playing specific kinds of classic games, particularly those which are easy to pick up and play, and don't need steep learning curves to have depth.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
iamnotincompliance said:
However, the Atari 2600 is still alive and kicking (NO "STILL ALIVE" JOKES!), and I defy anyone to take me on in Warlords or Surround. If you feel like challenging yourself, try Kaboom! or Adventure. Go ahead, try Adventure: find the invisible dot, take it to the invisible hole in the wall, and see the credits. No fair using a map.
I'm impressed. The joystick still worked after all that time? I thought it was a lost cause.

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
Quaidis said:
I'm impressed. The joystick still worked after all that time? I thought it was a lost cause.
I've heard of roughly everyone else on the planet having joystick trouble with Atari, but at this house they just continue to work perfectly. I don't know what to tell you, except that Genesis controllers work on Ataris if the original joysticks die. I have to say Defender with a turbo button laser is the only way to play, plus the ship is far more maneuverable with a d-pad.

Plus, I believe we have original "joystick repair kits" when and if they ever do break.

Gooble

May 9, 2008
I still play a bit on my Xbox, because I'm I have a couple of non-360 compatible games on there that have a decent replayable factor. Occasionally I whip out the old Gameboy Colour, play some Pokemon and then remember how crap it is.

bunkymag

Jun 11, 2008
I still play all of my old consoles.. right back to Commodore 64 sometimes ^^

What surprises me more though is even when I get a new console, I immediately want to play old games. I buy a Wii, and all I play is Street Fighter II Turbo. I buy a PSP, and all I play is FF7.. hmm.

Colodomoko

Feb 22, 2008
The oldest console that I still use is my old PS1, but I only have so many games for it that I got bored after beating Resident Evil 3 again for the first week.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
jpalfy33 said:
Quaidis said:
Recently I revived one of my old junk computers and installed Windows 98 on it. I plan to use it to play my older unplayable computer games (like 'Day of the Tentacle' and 'Return to Zork')
You should look up ScummVM. It lets you play those game as well as Sam & Max Hit the Road and the first Monkey Islands and more. It make the games look better too and you don't need to have an old OS to run them, I'm playing them on Vista.

That's why I think PCs are so great, you can go from playing games like Tentacle that were released in '93 to playing games like Crysis on the same system.
I tried ScummVM before on my XP machine and had some major issues with volume bugs on Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle. Other times I had color issues (believe it or not). I found, since I have an old and reliable comp sitting around anyway, I may as well use it to play the games.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I bought a Dreamcast shortly after it was pronounced "dead" (even in Japan) to play the Sakura Taisen series, and I maintain my PS2 (hey, it's technically "old") because my PS3 can't play the region-locked Sakura Taisen PS2 releases, and to play my old library of *ahem* backups that are either unplayable on my PS3 or no longer available legitimately at reasonable price. I'm looking at you, Digital Devil Saga.

I lost my old SNES after a classmate I lent it to dropped out of school, and I've since tossed my GBA since a DS is compatible. My old PSone died long ago (around the time you needed to turn it over to get the discs to read), but I was lucky enough to have bought a PS3 during those halcyon days of 60gb 100% backwards-compatibility. Here's to Sony never dropping support for my "old model".

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I still love the games of the PlayStation 1-Era (especially Squaresoft and Atlus stuff). They have this special feeling to them that´s long lost since graphics and Multiplayer are more important than sound and story.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Absolutely, in fact I play older games more than new ones.

Especially N64 or PS1 games. Most of them just seem better than what comes out now. Partly because the shooters have more lifespan (I defy you to get less than 20hours play from Perfect Dark single player).

But mainly the sound, play a current fps and all the guns sound near identical and they all sound like they run on compressed air (Halo games especially). I preferred the old days when guns went BANG!!!

Another thing is the learning curve. Most current games are obsessed with giving people upgrades as a reward for playing, which makes it even worse for the people with little free time.

Dump two people into Goldeneye or Lylat wars and the playing field's even, the one with more free time is still going to win, but he'll win because he's better rather than because he had the deathcannon upgrade.
Also, Alien Resurrection on the PS1 has the best sound design of any game ever made. It makes an above average fps absolutely pant wetting...

Rob Sharona

May 29, 2008
I still get out my SNES for multiplayer.
Super Bomberman 2 and Streetfighter II Turbo are still untouchable in the huddled round a TV screen stakes.

Celtius

Jun 11, 2008
Super Mario RPG, pretty much every LoZ (including Majora's Mask, I can't get enough of fierce deity link!) and I keep going back to Zombies Ate My Neighbors on my emulator cuz my sega cartridge is destroyed....never been able to get past the dang sand worms >.<

Celtius

Jun 11, 2008
Completely forgot about Pokemon! I love that game for some reason...just red&blue though, the others have too many dang mons and I don't know which ones suck and which ones don't...

AmandaGamer86

Jun 11, 2008
I still love my old N64 in my humble opinion the best system of all time (best controller too). I do have a fondness for my new Playstation 3 with guitar Hero III such a good game!

JC123

Apr 10, 2008
Used to have an Atari 2600 with about 10 games (a few of which being "86 in one" style cartridges, so technically more than 10), as well as my old Sega Genesis which I won from a box of cereal. Only thing I've ever won, but considering it was back in the day when they were brand new, I was pretty impressed. Had about 20 games by the time I'd moved on to the PSX. Gave both of them away to childcares etc for kids to play. Stupid kids, I'd still love to go rock some Sonic or Pitfall.

I've been on an old-school grind in the last few months. Went and gradually collected a lot of the "classic" games I'd never played on PC, and was seriously considering buying an old NES and SNES. The only thing that stopped me was A) the fact that they're so old they now cost a lot again - e.g. $100 for a good working console, 2 controllers, and a handful of games, and B) Unless I can find a reverse compatability plug, I can't use the old system on my new TVs.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
I play my GCN games more than anything, but to me, that counts as 'recent'.
I play stuff like mario or Lylat Wars or some of the Rare-made FPSs on my N64, but lately i've been massively into the first Metroid Prime, so i've been sitting in front of my TV a lot because the wii is too far from the sofa on its neat little shelf, all clean and white