Do you think exclusives are good for the gaming community.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Are they good for businesses? Yes I think so. Exclusives are the one thing that makes people buy a certain kind of hardware. I wish we could get everything on every platform so people could just play what they want on their chosen machine but we dont live in that utopia. I also think that certain studios are allowed to make much better games due to the backing of studio's behind the platform of choice.

Are they good for the gaming community? No. I really dont think theyre good for gamers or consumers overall. IMO gamers should be advocating for more multi-platform releases, backwards compatibility, cross platform play, and expansion sized additions to games. Exclusives make us pay more money for the products we want because you have to buy multiple bits of hardware and the software to boot. Then theres the issue with lack of cross platform play. If you make a new friend and find out he plays the same game as you but you play on PC and he plays on playstation your screwed just because of your hardware choice and I dont think thats healthy for a community

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I'd say no.

Sure, you may get some extra push put into a game thats meant to sell the console, tapping those hypothetical megabucks from the generation before to make some truly major project, or at least a willingness to treat it as a loss leader budget wise.

This doesn't seem to pan out very often though, with many exclusive launch titles falling really flat. Around mid-generation you maybe see a bare handful that thrive on that focused attention to working on one set of hardware, but by end generation times, optimizations and so on tend to have evened out everything.

That is mostly speaking to the first-party games of course. The more general association with the term "exclusive" is a third party title that's had its rights purchased up. The odd occasion means that the game gets made despite lack of other offers (Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 2, I'm sure Sony has one somewhere), but mostly its more of a forced restriction on what would otherwise be a third party title. Which cuts off any number of potential customers arbitrarily (I have a Playstation based on controller preference mostly, I might enjoy Nintendos games, or whateve Xbox has, but not enough to cramp my hands up with their goofy off-symmetry sticks (or in Nintendos case, the various obnoxious controllers)

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Definitely no, because the 'it makes developers put in their best effort' is a weird argument to make. It seems to argue that hundreds of people putting in thousands of hours of work would want their efforts to reach as small an audience as possible. Like Yahtzee once said: "Exclusivity is an utterly anti-consumer practice." For instance, The Last of Us. Most people say it's a great game and I'd be willing to buy it, but I am not forking over 300 euros for a console just so I can play one game on it. If they did a PC port, sure, I'd try it, but since that isn't the case, tough luck for me, I suppose.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I think they're a fact of life. Outside some incredibly draconian law that dictates that the many platforms use a common system, it will be a cold day in all the circles of all the hells before Sony and Microsoft make their systems somehow cross compatible.

Warhound

Oct 24, 2017
They are not good for the gaming community, no. Anyone who thinks otherwise is likely just suffering from from something similar to Stockholm syndrome.

You can just look at the movie market to see how much of a lie exclusivity being a good thing is. Imagine if you could only see disney movies in disney theaters, sony movie in sony theaters, and so on.

praveenpolisheety

Jan 24, 2018
shareit download for pc [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
shareit app for windows [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
shareit app for laptop [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
shareit for windows 7 [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
shareit for windows 8 [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
shareit for windows xp [https://www-shareit.com/pc-windows/]
Anyone who thinks otherwise is likely just suffering from from something similar to Stockholm syndrome.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Maybe.. Sony, MS and Nintendo has to put in a lot of effort into making great games to help sell their hardware, i don't know how good The last of us, Zelda and whatever MS has would be without the support of these corporations. Perhaps these devs would be under the wing of something like EA and would be popping out incomplete games riddled with microtransactions.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The answer to this question is always going to be the same: yes, the entire point is to prevent a market monopoly unlike, say, the film industry which increasingly suffers from cannibalization and thus oligarchical structure where competition is minimal. This idea that exclusives are "held hostage" is also pretty silly as they're always done of free will and a lot of exclusives are also IPs that are owned BY THE HARDWARE MAKERS.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hmmmmmmmmm yes and no.
It's a shame I can't play every game on a single console. But if I could, most of the games I wanted to play probably wouldn't exist.
^This. The argument that exclusivity ?holds IPs hostage? is, while not grossly self-righteous, is quite a shallow one. Let?s face it: video games are a LUXURY hobby, not medicine, food, shelter or any other vital necessity. As someone privileged enough to be able to play games, I also acknowledge that I CHOOSE to indulge as far as my wallet will take me; if I?m curious enough about a title, I weigh my options and if I can afford it, I follow where my interest lies. I bought my first [Original] Xbox to play Halo and have bought every generation of the platform since for largely the same reason; that, and most of my gaming friends are on the same platform. I also bought my first PS3 to play Heavy Rain, which led me to other PS exclusives I enjoyed. I can honestly say those titles and other exclusives tend to be a lot more interesting than a lot of those spread thinly across every platform, and I appreciate that. Point being, if they can create an exclusive IP interesting enough (they call them ?console sellers?) to move units to their limited market, they?re likely going to put in the effort to make it pretty damn good. Conversely, when they know their game is going to reach everybody with a console of any stripe, why bother with what might make it a stand-out experience? (Ass Creed much?)

It?s the argument of quality over quantity; I, for one, prefer quality, especially seeing as I?ve myriad mediocre, forgettable cross-platform titles that can fill the gaps between the titles like those that merit a one-time purchase of the hardware they?re exclusive to. I wouldn?t but ANY console if my only choices were to play Ass Creeds or CoD #2,493.

BaronVonVaderHam

Jan 17, 2018
I like a little exclusivity. It can help give a system its personality. Maybe not every game but a bass of IP's for a system is fine.