Do you think girls are good gamers?

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
Being a girl myself I'd like to be classed as a decent gamer. I don't play COD, or mass effect or any of those kinds of games. I'm more of an RPG based player (if any of you have read my posts before you could gather I hate online play)

But do you consider girls good gamers?
Do you think they are as good as boys?
Do you mind facing a girl online?

I was online once and I was playing L4D some boy was playing with me and as soon as he saw I was a girl he left the party sent me a message saying "I don't want to play with you cause you're a girl"
In chat speak mind.

Judged on my sex, yet again.

edit: I know mass effect is an rpg, I meant jrpg's, sorry for the confusion.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I've yet to meet a girl who was a good gamer. With that being said, I certainly don't mind playing with one or against one, and I think there are some out there who ARE just as good, if not better, then guys.

But, like I've said, I just haven't met any yet.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I don't care. If your are good, you have a place on my team.
Skill can not be predetermined by gender, especially in gaming..

If it was say weightlifting you would be at a natural disadvantage.
But in games? Hardly.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
girls can be just as good as guys in any video game. they just tend (repeat, TEND) to be less interested in the same sort of games most guys are interested in. i haven't played many shooters with girls, but in fighters and MMOs, i've seen many girls (or even old women) who are just as good as any guy.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
A person's gender has nothing to do with their ability to play games. Being a girl should give you no more of an advantage or disadvantage in gaming than having green eyes or liking smooth jazz.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
I consider girl gamers just as good as any other gamers. It lies in the person and experience, not the gender.

I would have nothing against playing with a girl online and I have in the past.

I get the feeling that someone is gonna take a stab at us using the word "gamer", there was some fuzz about that earlier..

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
endnuen said:

But in games? Hardly.
True.
But have you ever seen any female body builders? Highly, highly unattractive and a tad scary if you ask me. Why a woman would ever want to take that career is beyond me.
Little off subject but I thought I'd throw my two pence in.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
1: Why not? What does sex have anything to do with it?
2: Of course. I see no reason why they would not be.
3: No I do not. Just so long as the are not a jerk (and this goes for both sexes), I am perfectly fine playing against a girl online.

I suspect that everyone's answer will be basically the same as mine.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Gender doesn't change gaming skill.
So really, sure, lots probably are, but we've got far too many people acting like girls shouldn't play games and discouraging them.

Also, don't know why you said you don't play Mass Effect because you like RPGs and don't like multiplayer seeing as Mass Effect is a singleplayer RPG.

gmergurl

Jan 27, 2011
I'm a girl too.

It entirely depends on the type of games you play. I can school my boyfriend at playing RPGS, just because I have more practice (meaning kill bosses in half the time, find all the secret treasures, etc.) where as he can kick my butt in any FPS we play simply because I don't play those games and he does. Given, for some inexplicable reason those who play FPS are automatically given the "top gamer" title, although there are other types of games. However, the L4D situation was just plain stupid on his part, he must've been 12 or something and scared of girls. He's probably missing out.

As for your questions:
YES!
Yes, if they play the same type of games.
I actually seem to enjoy it more being a fellow girl gamer, but that's just because "oh man! I'm not the only one!" other than that, no difference.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Man, if I had a quarter for every time I got schooled by a girl, I'd... actually not have a whole lot. I think this has less to do with general skill and more to do with me not knowing very many girl gamers. That and I flat refuse to play with someone outside of the sphere of physical retribution.

Platti

Nov 16, 2009
Isla said:
But do you consider girls good gamers?
If they're good gamers then I consider them good gamers

Isla said:
Do you think they are as good as boys?
Similar to my last answer; if they're as good as boys at games then I consider them as good. In my opinion, it's more than a little idiotic to judge someones gaming skills based off of their gender.

Isla said:
Do you mind facing a girl online?
I married some randomer on Fable 3. She was dressed as a chicken and accused me of bestiality.

:(

Isla

Aug 25, 2010
gmergurl said:
I'm a girl too.

It entirely depends on the type of games you play. I can school my boyfriend at playing RPGS, just because I have more practice (meaning kill bosses in half the time, find all the secret treasures, etc.) where as he can kick my butt in any FPS we play simply because I don't play those games and he does. Given, for some inexplicable reason those who play FPS are automatically given the "top gamer" title, although there are other types of games. However, the L4D situation was just plain stupid on his part, he must've been 12 or something and scared of girls. He's probably missing out.

As for your questions:
YES!
Yes, if they play the same type of games.
I actually seem to enjoy it more being a fellow girl gamer, but that's just because "oh man! I'm not the only one!" other than that, no difference.
I felt just a little offended when he said that.

Made me a bit angry, I'm pretty good at L4D when I play with other people and if it's not the clown level because I'm terrified of clowns. Classic fear, but I've had it since I was a kid.

I like playing with girls as well, but I only ever find them on girly games. Like viva pinata
Not saying for any boy reading this that it's girly....well...it is.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Isla said:
endnuen said:

But in games? Hardly.
True.
But have you ever seen any female body builders? Highly, highly unattractive and a tad scary if you ask me. Why a woman would ever want to take that career is beyond me.
Little off subject but I thought I'd throw my two pence in.
Thankyouverymuch.. How do I get that image out of my head now??

Actually a girlfriend of mine kicked my ass 6/4 in Tekken 6.
Actually I enjoy playing with/against girls. They are just not as immature as the hoards of 12-16 year old tossers that floods the online section of most games.. Makes me fear for my enjoyment of KZ3..

fordneagles

Dec 22, 2010
He was probably just pissy because you were playing better than he was :p

Speaking as a girl who plays most genres, I find that when most guys find out I'm a 'girl gamer' (and not a half bad one, or so I like to think :D ) they actually gain a lot of respect for me, which is nice :) Also, a lot of the time in MMO's I get the 'there are no girls on the internet' line, I usually just roll with that :p I don't think gender makes that much of a difference, I find age comes into play more often than gender does.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I don't distinguish skill level based on sex. I don't really see the point of saying "wow, she was really good!... HURR DURR, FURR A GURRL! HEHEHE!!!"

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
This is why I don't play anything that relies on online multiplayer. Too many ass-hats.

OT: It's sort of an individual basis. I mostly play RPGs (I count Mass Effect as an RPG, even if it got clubbed by the FPS fairy) and the occasional sandbox (Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2). Am I "good"? Well, I've raised a dozen gold chocobos, (three in the same playthrough, just cause I could), beaten most Final Fantasy bonus-bosses for kicks, and I play Rockband on Hard (still working on Expert) on Guitar. Does that make me good?

I know a girl who can beat pretty much anyone at Tekken and Soul Calibur. I'd say she's good (although she is terrible at FPS games, which tends to be the standard by which ass-hats rank gamer skill, so maybe not).

The thing is, IMO CoD, Gears of War, Halo, and all that other crap can pretty much fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong the the games, mind, just not how I want to spend my free time. Anyone who thinks that makes me a bad gamer or "just a girl" can suck a rusty tail pipe.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I am a girl, and I'm pretty badass at some games, but it's not relevant to my gender, it's relevant to how much time I've put into them. Give me a heavy or a sniper in TF2 and I'll give you a mostly dead team. Give me a demoman on TF2 and I'll blow myself up - because I play heavy or sniper, and don't play demo. I put in a fair showing for myself at other games too, but it's all down to what I play and what I don't. I'm awful at competitive RTS because I never play it, and I'm bad at RPG games because I never optimise my character, I roleplay their stats - but I'm usually pretty good at grand strategy games like Victoria 2, or third person shooters (like Max Payne 2.) I've never encountered the people quitting because they won't play with a girl problem because I don't use my microphone, unfortunately.