Do you think girls are good gamers?

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Are 'girl gamers' the new zombies? Because is it just me, or has there been an influx in these threads recently? I don't see the discussion value here, to be honest: OT, a person's gender does not determine their skill in playing video games. Seems pretty objective to anybody even remotely sane/not a 12 year old brat with an Xbox Live account.

Boemmel

Jan 1, 2009
Wow, that thread title smelled like flamebait initially, good rescue with the actual post OP, but it was a close call ;)

Personally, I can understand that an attitude like the one described by the OP can be very frustrating, but my two cents are: I do not see a difference in gaming abilities based on gender, meaning I think, yes, girls can be good gamers.

Do I think most girls are merely average gamers? Well, yes, because I think so about the guys as well. Most of the gamers are mediocre at best (which empirically should be kinda "duh" ;) , so the group of gaming women should contain plenty of mediocre gamers, exactly the same as the group of gaming men.

I think there might be statistical differences based on preferred game types/genres and skewed because of the differing number of female to male "core" gamers (or at least the ones you typically find online), but that would be an entirely different (and pretty long discussion) and those do not change my personal belief that yes, girls can be good gamers with at least the same potential for gaming greatness as guys.

Ara69

Aug 23, 2010
Girls have the same basic motorskills, the same degree of logic thinking, so of course I belive there are good girl gamers.

BUT! Girls, and I am talking the 16+ are sometimes (Not always its just a theory) - limited by the people around them not expecting them to WANT to play with computers and electronic games, and therefor through their young years will not have gaming on their backbone.

My girlfriend who only recently started playing WoW aged 27 agrees, this is the first game she has ever played, because her parents thought "Girls wouldnt want that electronic stuff".

So Isla, the world in my view is against female gamers, but genetically, I´m sure they are just as good as their male counterparts

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I don't know any good female gamers personally, but I don't see why they would be any worse (or better, for that matter) than male ones.
When I meet female gamers online though they very rarely seem to be trying to be good. Maybe it's just that there aren't enough female gamers around for me to make an accurate judgement.

DeaconSawyer

Aug 19, 2010
Of course there are good girl gamers, I have met plenty who are much better than the average, and one or two who are better than me, though I am loathe to admit that ANYONE is better than me. I don't think girls or boys are naturally good at gaming. While I have seen a lot of bad female gamers I have seen a lot of male gamers who it hurts my head to watch them run into a wall or jump down the same pit 5 times in a row. Some are shitty some are good, just like anyone in anything else.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
I'm a female gamer and I don't play CoD, Halo, etc. I only play the good games, dood.

gmergurl

Jan 27, 2011
Isla said:
I felt just a little offended when he said that.

Made me a bit angry, I'm pretty good at L4D when I play with other people and if it's not the clown level because I'm terrified of clowns. Classic fear, but I've had it since I was a kid.

I like playing with girls as well, but I only ever find them on girly games. Like viva pinata
Not saying for any boy reading this that it's girly....well...it is.

I'd like to add that you have every right to be offended, but I wouldn't let it bother you too much. Like I said, he's probably some immature 12 year-old (or younger) who still thinks girls have cooties. He never did really say you were bad (technically). And just know, that he really is missing out if he jumps out of every game with a girl in it. I'd hate to say this particular factoid mostly because I'm biased a tad, but most of the people I know who play L4D(2) are actually girls... given the amount of people I know who play that game are 5, and 3 are girls (so I guess that's more half technically). So I'd hate to screw-up anyone's stats or anything. But seriously, we're always going to get that, I've gotten that on MMO's and even stupid games like Runescape, we just have to get over it, and if possible, kick their little sexist butts!

WildManBill

Sep 26, 2009
My girlfriend sucks at them. My sister won't play, and if you gave my mother a Wii zapper, she would probably blow my head off at 500 yards. (New York State rifle champion in high school and college, still got it).

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
in the starcraft 2 beta, I had a 2v2 partner that I later found out was a girl. She was decent, but I still played with her, and still talk with her on xfire. I say let the skills do the talking. If they are actually bad at the game, then say something. Otherwise, just enjoy who you are playing with be it male or female.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
Being male or female has absolutely no effect what so ever on your ability to play a video game.
Agreed.

I'm a lady, and I take pride in my Something to Prove Acheivement in Left 4 Dead.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The questions aren't as relevant to me, and I will explain why.

But do you consider girls good gamers? - They are also individuals, so if they are good, then they're good. Just like everybody else.

Do you think they are as good as boys? - Not relevant as a whole, only relevant for individuals. Some are better than me, some are worse than me. I do not use gender as a way to set skill levels.

Do you mind facing a girl online? - I don't really aim to do PVP, so my experiences are all co-op, and I'm fine with that.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I've yet to meet a girl who was a good gamer. With that being said, I certainly don't mind playing with one or against one, and I think there are some out there who ARE just as good, if not better, then guys.

But, like I've said, I just haven't met any yet.
Ninja'd, if I had $1 for every girl who claimed she was amazing at a game, only to suck at it, i'd be too rich to care about girl gamers being pants at competitive gaming
Yup. Any girl that I've spoken to that claims to be good at a video game...isn't. Simple as that.

PeePantz said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I've yet to meet a girl who was a good gamer. With that being said, I certainly don't mind playing with one or against one, and I think there are some out there who ARE just as good, if not better, then guys.

But, like I've said, I just haven't met any yet.
Oh I have, groups of them. Whether it be playing TF2, Gears 2, or MAG, I've met a shit ton who just destroyed everyone. I have a bunch of real life friends who are girls that play video games, and about 60% of them are better than any male gamer I know.

So OP, girls playing video games are just as good. There aren't as many, but the numbers are growing.
Well, then you're lucky? I guess? I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me to be completely honest. I'm just saying that there has yet to be an actual "good" gamer girl in my presence.

neoswed

Apr 15, 2009
I haven't really met many girl gamers, of course I wouldn't really know since I don't play much online and even then I don't really hear any talking. Although whenever I do meet one or I have some friends over and we play some games I find myself going easy on them.If I however met a girl who was a serious gamer (or at least plays games now and then) I'm sure she could beat me no problem. Gaming is mostly male dominated (online gaming that is don't know about offline) and there is a lot of the mentality that girls are somehow magically worse than guys. The girls get hammered even though the guy may just be kidding it would still be quite off putting.

All of that said, I believe gender doesn't matter its all about how much you practice. I also never mind playing with or against a girl.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
My sister kicks my ass at fighters like Tekken and my girlfriend is a gamer, so yeah :)

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
You know what I find odd? Every time I play someone who explicitly mentions that they're a girl in their psn names, they've always been a cheap ****. What's that about?

Draithx

Jul 8, 2009
I don't think all girls are worse then male gamers, as I've played with some who are quite good and I've seen top level (e-sports level) female gamers as well.

That said, guys are better at gaming then girls in general. Male gamers probably enjoy competition more and therefore take it more seriously then female ones.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
I know a couple girl gamers that can kick my ass in Halo as well as CoD. So I'd say that girls can be good gamers.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Just going by the girl gamers I know, they're not amazing at shooters, pretty good at RPGs and can kick you ass eight ways to Sunday at fighting games.
But I'm sure overall they're just as varied as blokes with how incredible or abysmal they are.