Do you think Sony will come out with a half way console upgrade again?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
In a way, they just released the 3rd PS5 model.

200 grams lighter! Lower power usage. 144 hz support.

Still this doesn't seem like the leap PS4 OG to PS4 Pro was. I hope for better.
That's just a small hardware revision within the current PS5 model, it's not supposed to be a leap forward.

144hz support is a software update that every PS5 user gets.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You think the design of the console matters that much? Nothing to do with the games?

I dunno why people have such a hate for the Ps5's look. I think it's better than the fucking refridgerator of the new xbox and even if it was ugly as shit. It's behind my TV and you can't even see that shit.
True, most people will get a PS console regardless of design, but I’d like to think that sleek, clean lines didn’t hurt either of them.

Reactions: gorfias

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You think the design of the console matters that much? Nothing to do with the games?

I dunno why people have such a hate for the Ps5's look. I think it's better than the fucking refridgerator of the new xbox and even if it was ugly as shit. It's behind my TV and you can't even see that shit.
Well it depends on the space. I game in the living of an apartment I share w/ my wife and we have nice things and like to keep things clean, spacious and modest. My console is in a TV stand that has clear shelves, no back, and a few pictures and tcatchkes. It's the same TV we use for, well.. TV, and the music system is there etc.

And then I bring the surprise space station aliens from that first episode of Next Generation and it's like wtf lol. Looks so dumb.
I agree the Xbox Series X is a horrendous fridge that's why I like the S (and I don't need the beefier specs of X anyway). Another reason why I like the XBoxes this generation is the difference between the two options is significant and not just if it has as disc drive lol

I do plan on buying a larger condo or something with a dedicated personal office space. In which case, yeah, I would care less because I'd have the place to hide or even "ironically" display a behemoth nerd toy. But now I don't wanna.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well it depends on the space. I game in the living of an apartment I share w/ my wife and we have nice things and like to keep things clean, spacious and modest. My console is in a TV stand that has clear shelves, no back, and a few pictures and tcatchkes. It's the same TV we use for, well.. TV, and the music system is there etc.

And then I bring the surprise space station aliens from that first episode of Next Generation and it's like wtf lol. Looks so dumb.
I agree the Xbox Series X is a horrendous fridge that's why I like the S (and I don't need the beefier specs of X anyway). Another reason why I like the XBoxes this generation is the difference between the two options is significant and not just if it has as disc drive lol

I do plan on buying a larger condo or something with a dedicated personal office space. In which case, yeah, I would care less because I'd have the place to hide or even "ironically" display a behemoth nerd toy. But now I don't wanna.
That just sounds like restrictive decorative choices that you've made for yourself and less a problem with the console though. You could place it behind something (especially if you got digital only and never need to reach for it, or arrange things in such a way that the system could sit somewhat hidden on the floor or hell use that system in the bedroom or side room if you got one.

I mean it is what it is, you've got your preferences and whatever I just don't understand the concept of having to have a very specific astetic for things. Then again, I've not lived with many women and I've always made my gaming space in a way where everything is behind the tv and out of sight, so I speak from only my own abstract.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That just sounds like restrictive decorative choices that you've made for yourself and less a problem with the console though. You could place it behind something (especially if you got digital only and never need to reach for it, or arrange things in such a way that the system could sit somewhat hidden on the floor or hell use that system in the bedroom or side room if you got one.

I mean it is what it is, you've got your preferences and whatever I just don't understand the concept of having to have a very specific astetic for things. Then again, I've not lived with many women and I've always made my gaming space in a way where everything is behind the tv and out of sight, so I speak from only my own abstract.
Woman ain't the problem, it is all me.
So it is the size that annoys me (hence why I agree with Series X complaint) and why I say I'll come back when there's a slim.

Look- if in like 3 years or whatever there's no slim, a lot of exclusives are on the system and they are reasonably priced and available, I'll get another one, no biggie. The size and shape is a minor quibble not that important. I am just looking forward to a day when getting any of these consoles is just another product not some Big Deal.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am just looking forward to a day when getting any of these consoles is just another product not some Big Deal.
On this I agree.

Though my local Target has both Xboxs pretty much any time now, the same with the Switch and the OLED switch.

Which makes me wonder if the PS5 is in THAT short supply OR does nobody want an Xbox?

The switch is different because I think that most people just have one if they want one at this point so it's easy to keep stocked for new kids or replacements to get.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Woman ain't the problem, it is all me.
So it is the size that annoys me (hence why I agree with Series X complaint) and why I say I'll come back when there's a slim.

Look- if in like 3 years or whatever there's no slim, a lot of exclusives are on the system and they are reasonably priced and available, I'll get another one, no biggie. The size and shape is a minor quibble not that important. I am just looking forward to a day when getting any of these consoles is just another product not some Big Deal.
Don’t you understand? A new PS console is an EVENT!!. As such it must be designed to stand out, and preferably displayed prominently as the centerpiece of any main dwelling area.

You hear that, @CriticalGaming? No hiding these beauties behind ugly TVs and shit anymore!!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
On this I agree.

Though my local Target has both Xboxs pretty much any time now, the same with the Switch and the OLED switch.

Which makes me wonder if the PS5 is in THAT short supply OR does nobody want an Xbox?

The switch is different because I think that most people just have one if they want one at this point so it's easy to keep stocked for new kids or replacements to get.
It is interesting. I am seeing the Xbox available pretty regularly but no PS5s. You would think Xbox would easily pass the PS5 as you can actually get one. (Has something to do with Microsoft buying up chips ahead of time) but so far that isn't happening.

1662758856150.png

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It is interesting. I am seeing the Xbox available pretty regularly but no PS5s. You would think Xbox would easily pass the PS5 as you can actually get one. (Has something to do with Microsoft buying up chips ahead of time) but so far that isn't happening.

View attachment 6965
I mean it's pretty obvious that nobody wants what Xbox is selling...aka Gamepass. It's a novelty and it should be the bonus to also having great games, NOT the sole reason for having the console.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

If your console design is ugly enough that people want to hide it then that's a problem, regardless of how easy it might be to hide it.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I mean it's pretty obvious that nobody wants what Xbox is selling...aka Gamepass. It's a novelty and it should be the bonus to also having great games, NOT the sole reason for having the console.
I think a lot of people actually really like the gamepass idea. It's just that there's really no reason to get an xbox since all xbox games are now on windows, and PC gaming got much bigger in the last 10 years.

Playstation and Nintendo have exclusives. Xbox doesn't.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think a lot of people actually really like the gamepass idea. It's just that there's really no reason to get an xbox since all xbox games are now on windows, and PC gaming got much bigger in the last 10 years.

I am hearing that Gamepass is killing it. EDIT Example: https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-game-pass-is-here-to-stay-so-deal-with-it 25 million subs. And Microsoft is buying up all these content creators so they will have exclusives. For me, my next big purchase is my next gaming PC build in Winter 2024. It will play Gamepass games if I go in that direction, my $ goes to MS even if I don't get the Series X. I got to play the Series X for a weekend and it was fun but, I really could barely tell a difference between it and my Xbox 1X (loads faster).

That, the PC, is the priority. After that? I am interested in the PS5 especially if it has a next gen mid console realease then as the controller is supposed to be pretty special. But if I can play Gamepass on a great PC? MS gets my money whether I buy their console or not.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Kinda a sign of the problem with getting a PS5. Season 5 of Cobra Kai, which is freaking great... Daniel brings a peace offering, in 9/22 of a PS4 ?

1662774065706.png

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Well I have beens aying this for a long time actually. On this forum even. The problem is that it's gotten even worse by MS not actually putting anything out.

Now Gamepass is pretty cool, I agree it's a good thing to have around for people who want it. The problem is that Gamepass is the ONLY offering Xbox has and at some point having a library of old games is going to lose it's luster.

I am hearing that Gamepass is killing it. EDIT Example: https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-game-pass-is-here-to-stay-so-deal-with-it 25 million subs. And Microsoft is buying up all these content creators so they will have exclusives. For me, my next big purchase is my next gaming PC build in Winter 2024. It will play Gamepass games if I go in that direction, my $ goes to MS even if I don't get the Series X. I got to play the Series X for a weekend and it was fun but, I really could barely tell a difference between it and my Xbox 1X (loads faster).
These subs are not quite right because they are heavily inflated due to many many sources of free subscriptions. i myself have gotten months and months of free Gamepass ultimate by simply having a Discord Nitro sub.

It's cool that there are a lot of people there, but I feel like it's a too good to be true kind of thing.

But hey at the end of the console gen, Gamepass may turn out to be the most amazing thing to ever happen to the industry who knows.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well I have beens aying this for a long time actually. On this forum even. The problem is that it's gotten even worse by MS not actually putting anything out.

Now Gamepass is pretty cool, I agree it's a good thing to have around for people who want it. The problem is that Gamepass is the ONLY offering Xbox has and at some point having a library of old games is going to lose it's luster.

These subs are not quite right because they are heavily inflated due to many many sources of free subscriptions. i myself have gotten months and months of free Gamepass ultimate by simply having a Discord Nitro sub.

It's cool that there are a lot of people there, but I feel like it's a too good to be true kind of thing.

But hey at the end of the console gen, Gamepass may turn out to be the most amazing thing to ever happen to the industry who knows.
Microsoft is trying to fix this issue by buying up a bunch of studios and publishers, but it's going to take a few years for any of that to create some revenue and hype generating exclusives for them (if ever, given that Bethesda and Activision Blizzard aren't exactly beloved right now). Even if they start working on some new exclusive property as soon as they're purchased it still takes at least 2-3 years to make anything decent.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

The reason to get an XBox even though all the games are on PC are environment and convenience.

I have built PC's, know all about them, and I have an XBox now instead. Because it's in my living room connected to a TV and I can play on my couch. Yes I know it's possible to do that with a PC- I've done it- but it's annoying and bulky. And I don't have to futz with operating systems and settings and whatnot.

It's great PC's have become more easy to get into and popular but they will never match the convenience of consoles.

PlayStation and Nintendo have exclusives, absolutely and of course that has kept Nintendo super popular. But now XBox has an exclusive- GamePass. It's a really powerful clever hook. I would go so far as to wager that most gamers don't care about "games preservation" and "owning the physical copy" and all that stuff, we just want to play stuff.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

That, the PC, is the priority. After that? I am interested in the PS5 especially if it has a next gen mid console realease then as the controller is supposed to be pretty special. But if I can play Gamepass on a great PC? MS gets my money whether I buy their console or not.
And how many of those actually pay full price for the service and haven't gotten it free with something else?

As long as MS keeps giving it away, sure, it's "killing it".

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
And how many of those actually pay full price for the service and haven't gotten it free with something else?

As long as MS keeps giving it away, sure, it's "killing it".
I would be interested in finding that out. I'm told you get 3 months free with a purchase of their console. Reviewing.
EDIT: Difficult to find that exact stat. Here's a link claiming to $3.74 billion in revenue.

Still worth looking around some more for Sony stats too.

2nd Edit: They're also claiming that Gamepass subscribers spend more on games than others. Not sure that means they would not do the same without Gamepass.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The reason to get an XBox even though all the games are on PC are environment and convenience.

I have built PC's, know all about them, and I have an XBox now instead. Because it's in my living room connected to a TV and I can play on my couch. Yes I know it's possible to do that with a PC- I've done it- but it's annoying and bulky. And I don't have to futz with operating systems and settings and whatnot.

It's great PC's have become more easy to get into and popular but they will never match the convenience of consoles.

PlayStation and Nintendo have exclusives, absolutely and of course that has kept Nintendo super popular. But now XBox has an exclusive- GamePass. It's a really powerful clever hook. I would go so far as to wager that most gamers don't care about "games preservation" and "owning the physical copy" and all that stuff, we just want to play stuff.
I just stream from my PC to my TV. Works pretty well for anything that isn't competitve (which I would play on PC anyway).