Do you wanna see a big budget Zelda film?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I simply feel that the Legend of Zelda was not meant for the world of cinema. Also, there have been way too many movies based on video games already.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Oh HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO, unless you can get Peter Jackson this would be perhaps the worst idea to ever spawn from the film industry.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
spencer91 said:
I simply feel that the Legend of Zelda was not meant for the world of cinema. Also, there have been way too many movies based on video games already.
Meh if you can make a game of it you can as easily make a film of it they are piratically the same IMO.

NeuroticMarshmallow

Nov 18, 2009
I won't lie. I have always wanted to see a movie version of Zelda since I was like 5 (8? I don't know I can't keep track). But the idea loses its charm when you realize video game movies are almost always terrible

YamadaJisho

Sep 22, 2009
I've heard a lot of people on this thread say things like "As long as it's done right". I have never seen a video game-based movie done right as a large production. Actually, the only video game movie I've ever seen that was really any good at all was Street Fighter 2, the animated movie. Mortal Kombat was retarded, FF7: Advent Children was a huge convoluted mess, Prince of Persia is going to suck hardcore, and the only game that had a reasonable chance of being adaptable to the big screen, Silent Hill, the producers completely missed the point and botched that too.
The thing that made LoZ great was not just the story, but the execution of the story. Think about it this way. Could you sit down and watch someone play Zelda from front to back (and not your girlfriend or brother or anything, just some random guy you care nothing about)? The execution demands a sense of interactivity. The only games that present themselves well for theatrical adaptions are those with an extremely good sense of atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is the best candidate for that. Fighting games and RPGs just don't have what it takes. Fighting games simply don't have enough atmosphere (unless you make up your own story, like they did in SF2), and RPGs have FAR too much. Adventure games are like fighting games in that respect, as what makes them great is the gameplay, not the story. Even if the story is awesome, the gameplay is what people play them for. Ergo, Prince of Persia is going to suck.
So no, I would say that there should not be a Legend of Zelda movie. I'm not going to say that it could be good "if it's done right", because I don't believe it can be. To make a good movie, it would no longer be the Legend of Zelda. It would NEED its own story, not one out of the games, and that would piss gamers off. It would need to rely heavily on the predetermined mythos, and that would lose newcomers to the story. The movie would flop, and rightly so. The Legend of Zelda simply doesn't lend itself to the experience.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
YamadaJisho said:
I've heard a lot of people on this thread say things like "As long as it's done right". I have never seen a video game-based movie done right as a large production. Actually, the only video game movie I've ever seen that was really any good at all was Street Fighter 2, the animated movie. Mortal Kombat was retarded, FF7: Advent Children was a huge convoluted mess, Prince of Persia is going to suck hardcore, and the only game that had a reasonable chance of being adaptable to the big screen, Silent Hill, the producers completely missed the point and botched that too.
The thing that made LoZ great was not just the story, but the execution of the story. Think about it this way. Could you sit down and watch someone play Zelda from front to back (and not your girlfriend or brother or anything, just some random guy you care nothing about)? The execution demands a sense of interactivity. The only games that present themselves well for theatrical adaptions are those with an extremely good sense of atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is the best candidate for that. Fighting games and RPGs just don't have what it takes. Fighting games simply don't have enough atmosphere (unless you make up your own story, like they did in SF2), and RPGs have FAR too much. Adventure games are like fighting games in that respect, as what makes them great is the gameplay, not the story. Even if the story is awesome, the gameplay is what people play them for. Ergo, Prince of Persia is going to suck.
So no, I would say that there should not be a Legend of Zelda movie. I'm not going to say that it could be good "if it's done right", because I don't believe it can be. To make a good movie, it would no longer be the Legend of Zelda. It would NEED its own story, not one out of the games, and that would piss gamers off. It would need to rely heavily on the predetermined mythos, and that would lose newcomers to the story. The movie would flop, and rightly so. The Legend of Zelda simply doesn't lend itself to the experience.
Not really as their is only so many ways you can do save the country/princess stories. I would not mind it going in a romantic comedy direction like Princess bride but it would be more like dark crystal in the way it works itself out.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
No.Nononononono! Bad idea. Way too much potential for being turned into shit. Then everyone would remember that Zelda was that crappy movie they watched.

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
gonna go with a MASSIVE "No" here.

I have less then zero interest in seeing this in movie format. Hell, I would go out of my way to avoid even acknowledging its existance if it were ever produced.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
No. Not Zelda. The main character is a mute (for the most part, aside from grunts and various guttural noises while partaking in swordplay), so giving him a voiced character in film would be a risk in the first place. No one really knows Link's personality, seeing as all his only responses are "Yes" and "No".

If someone were to pick up a Zelda movie, they wouldn't know what to do with Link, and no matter what they do with him, people will be upset with what they did with Link's character.

Hazufrazen

Nov 19, 2009
YamadaJisho said:

i have watched many people play zelda that i didnt know and personally i enjoyed just ignoring the person playing and watching link go on a grand adventure. personally i feel the potential in zelda to be a movie but video game movies are always trying to either cater to the fans or stay loyal to the game. movies like the upcoming prince of persia find a nice balance in making a movie that can be directly linked to the game (no game, no movie) and at the same time give fans what they would want to see in a stand-alone movie.

Hazufrazen

Nov 19, 2009
Instant K4rma said:
No. Not Zelda. The main character is a mute (for the most part, aside from grunts and various guttural noises while partaking in swordplay), so giving him a voiced character in film would be a risk in the first place. No one really knows Link's personality, seeing as all his only responses are "Yes" and "No".

If someone were to pick up a Zelda movie, they wouldn't know what to do with Link, and no matter what they do with him, people will be upset with what they did with Link's character.
i can almost agree with you up to the point of we dont know his personality. we all know link is confident but not arrogant guy who will face any challenge put in his way and give it his all. he is couragous and we know this from the games. even tho he is silent it isnt what you say that determines who you are, it is what you do.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
OverweightWhale said:
Love LoZ, Would hate to see a movie ruin it. I was so pissed when I saw Dragonball Evolution.
DB:E was a poor attempt at remakeing dragon ball for the real world, they did not have to do it like they did.....

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Yes, directed by Uwe Boll. I love Zelda too, but the potential for lulz is just too great.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
As a Hideo Miyazaki anime? Sure, that might work. As live action Hollywood? No sir, good day.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
If they made it out of Ocarina of Time or Windwaker I would watch it. I'm not exceedingly interested in the stories of the others.

Maybe Majora's Mask.