Do you want Half life 3 to be VR or traditional game?

Half life 3 Traditional or VR?

• Traditional

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • VR

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Nah, you don't particularly need Freeman. You don't play as Freeman in Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Half-Life Alyx, but they still feel like Half-Life. Out of all the things that define the franchise, Gordon Freeman is the least important.
they are expansion pack. not main titles.

Alyx is VR spinoff.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Alyx is VR spinoff.
Yes, but they still show you don't really need Freeman for something to be Half-Life, whether you like it or not.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is half life. you cant change its main character that define the game. thats my point.

its like making tomb raider not starting lara croft.
Lara Croft is Tomb Raider, without her you just have an Indiana Jones game. Gordon Freeman is literally a blank character, for as much education as he has, you never use it in any of the games. Hes a total blank slate.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Lara Croft is Tomb Raider, without her you just have an Indiana Jones game. Gordon Freeman is literally a blank character, for as much education as he has, you never use it in any of the games. Hes a total blank slate.
and Gordon freeman is much better character than Lara "this is soo hard, I cant do this" croft

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yes, but they still show you don't really need Freeman for something to be Half-Life, whether you like it or not.
Freeman is already well established as the main character and it's his journey and should end with him, whether you like him or not. I don't even like mute protagonists and don't think much of Freeman as a character, but replacing him at this point would just be wrong.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Freeman is already well established as the main character and it's his journey and should end with him, whether you like him or not. I don't even like mute protagonists and don't think much of Freeman as a character, but replacing him at this point would just be wrong.
Well, I've seen the ending to HL Alyx. While by no means a certainty, Valve might have already replaced him. G-man pretty much explicitly says so. And I don't see why not. Alyx is likeable enough.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Alyx is VR spinoff.
No, Alyx does propel the plot further.
and Gordon freeman is much better character than Lara "this is soo hard, I cant do this" croft
No, hes really not, he isn't a character. There is no Gordon Freeman, there is a player and the personality that the player gives him.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Doesn't matter. Those games prove the most obvious thing in the world - that a Half Life game can work without Gordon Freeman. And of course it can. He isn't a character. He can be replaced by some other voiceless guy by the name of Jim von Jim and it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I picked traditional, but by the time Half-Life 3 comes out(if), VR might be as cheap as average gaming peripheral, so i stay open-minded.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
A traditional game, because I'd like to actually play it.

This is half life. you cant change its main character that define the game. thats my point.

You mean Uncharted?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Well, technically you could have a Tomb Raider game without Lara Croft. It would be iffy, but I'm sure there's more than one 'tomb raider' in the setting.

But they're not quite equivalent. Lara Croft has starred in every Tomb Raider game. Gordon hasn't starred in every Half-Life game, and that became the case as soon as Opposing Force was released.

Again, what is Gordon's personality? What is conveyed in the games themselves?

Even if we accept Gordon as the main character of the setting (which isn't unreasonable), what has that translated into, story and character-wise? Because Gordon's never developed as a character. And his role in the plot is entirely reactionary. I can't really say he's on a "journey" when that journey has never really translated into anything approaching character growth. Even Chell felt more developed in that stuff about her was hinted at within the game, and there was a more intimate sense of character between her and GLaDOS, even if Chell never talked.

Some silent protagonists can still demonstrate emotion, character arcs, and backstories revealed in the game (e.g. Link and the Doom Slayer), but Gordon fails even at that.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Even if we accept Gordon as the main character of the setting (which isn't unreasonable), what has that translated into, story and character-wise? Because Gordon's never developed as a character. And his role in the plot is entirely reactionary. I can't really say he's on a "journey" when that journey has never really translated into anything approaching character growth. Even Chell felt more developed in that stuff about her was hinted at within the game, and there was a more intimate sense of character between her and GLaDOS, even if Chell never talked.

Some silent protagonists can still demonstrate emotion, character arcs, and backstories revealed in the game (e.g. Link and the Doom Slayer), but Gordon fails even at that.
None of that really matters, though. It's still his journey, shit character or not. I don't wanna finish it as someone else, because giving you some character with a voice would invalid the previous games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Traditional. That said, I stopped caring for Half Life 3 back in 09. Was not that in to the series anyway. Said before, HL3 will be the new DNF. The only difference being HL3 will most likely not be a buggy mess with outdated memes and pop culture references.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Let's cross that bridge when Half-Life 3 actually happens. (which it wont).
Well, if Valve can't count to three, maybe it can use the alphabet? I mean, what comes after Half-Life: Alyx?

-Half-Life: Barney
-Half-Life: Corporal Shepherd
-Half-Life: Dog
-Half-Life: Eli
-Half-Life: Freeman
-Half-Life: G-Man
-Half-Life: Half-Life III

Think about it...

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I voted for VR without even owning one, cos I wanna see the world burn.

Ok, there's some more reasonable reasoning could take time to delve into but I just cannot be arsed.