Do you want Half life 3 to be VR or traditional game?

Half life 3 Traditional or VR?

• Traditional

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • VR

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Hello friends,

so we all know valve has confirmed that Half life alyx was return to franchise. and alyx is just VR spinoff, but this still remain to be seen either next Half life will be Traditional game or just VR game.

well if you ask me, if they want to make VR half life. they can make more spinoff. they can make Half life barney, Half life eli, Half life vontigruents etc.

but if they are making mainline game. it must be real traditional game to be played with mouse and keyboard.

so friends, lets vote and discuss that do we want Half life 3 to be real game or VR game? lets discuss

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If someone would be willing to gift me a very nice VR headset along with a super nice and powerful PC, I would definitely want it in VR.

But since that won't be in the cards...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Don't really care. I never saw the gamer obsession and worship of Half Life as anything remotely approaching rational. I played those games but barely remember them.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If anyone votes VR, take the VR off your head, open it up, and check that your brain is working.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Not really interested in VR. Those headsets can't even do HDR, the Rift I tried looked pixelated with the screen being right in front of my eyeballs. I prefer the third person perspective anyway. Besides, Half-Life would need to slow down its combat for VR, which I'm not in favor of.

Master Of Puppets

Apr 5, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
VR.

I think games that have me moving rather than being sat in a chair are a very good thing, and I'm not exactly hurting for non-VR games to play.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If anyone votes VR, take the VR off your head, open it up, and check that your brain is working.
What if I vote for VR without owning a VR headset with no intention of ever getting one?

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Don't care about VR and I doubt that I ever will. I want to relax when I'm playing a game. A mouse and keyboard or a gamepad in a comfortable chair is all I want.
As for Half Life, I hope that Valve has enough sense to move past Gordon Freeman already. He's not a character and never has been. Alyx, on the other hand is, so I wouldn't mind a Half-Life 3 with her as a protagonist. I think that would be swell.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't think it matters whether I want a traditional or VR Half-Life 3, because I don't think it'll be either of those. Valve has made it pretty clear they don't like doing the same thing twice and they also like checking out new possibilities and techniques. HL1 delved into 1st person storytelling. HL2 and its episodes played with physics. HL Alyx explores the capabilities of VR.

If there is ever a Half-Life 3, it will because some new technology emerges that Valve wants to sink their teeth into, see what kind of potential is there. Probably something that doesn't exist yet. The game will probably still be 1st person but other than that, I have no idea what form it'll take or what direction they'll be taking.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think I would prefer that Half Life 3 be a more standard type of game, but I sure as hell want to see more Halflife VR games since Alyx was pretty damn amazing.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Don't care about VR and I doubt that I ever will. I want to relax when I'm playing a game. A mouse and keyboard or a gamepad in a comfortable chair is all I want.
As for Half Life, I hope that Valve has enough sense to move past Gordon Freeman already. He's not a character and never has been. Alyx, on the other hand is, so I wouldn't mind a Half-Life 3 with her as a protagonist. I think that would be swell.
come on, Gordon Freeman define Half life. cant imaigne HL without him. yes he is character although silent one. He is a scientist whose experiement failed. lead to alien invasion in original game, in second game he lead resistance to fight combine.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
come on, Gordon Freeman define Half life. cant imaigne HL without him. yes he is character although silent one. He is a scientist whose experiement failed. lead to alien invasion in original game, in second game he lead resistance to fight combine.
I think that's debatable.

Gordon's the 'face' of the series, but he's not the only playable character in said series - Adrian Shepherd, Barney, Gina Foley, Alyx, etc. But on the other hand, he's barely a character. We don't know what he thinks, what he feels, what he hopes for, etc. He's less a character and more a vessel for the player.

Can you give a silent protagonist personality? Yes - look at the Doom Slayer for instance. But silent protagonists with in-depth characterization are few and far between. Keeping this to Valve's catalogue, even Chell arguably has more personality than Gordon.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Not really interested in VR. Those headsets can't even do HDR, the Rift I tried looked pixelated with the screen being right in front of my eyeballs. I prefer the third person perspective anyway. Besides, Half-Life would need to slow down its combat for VR, which I'm not in favor of.
Can't they do both? Unless I dreamt it (which is possible, my memory is getting worse) didn't they do a VR Doom '16? I never played it due to not owning a VR headset or an interest in Doom '!6, but it struck me as being a very fast paced game. Surely a theoretical Half Life 3, could be both a VR game and a game for people unwilling to spend money on an expensive gimmick, seeing as the combat can't possibly be quicker than Doom '16.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
I think that's debatable.

Gordon's the 'face' of the series, but he's not the only playable character in said series - Adrian Shepherd, Barney, Gina Foley, Alyx, etc. But on the other hand, he's barely a character. We don't know what he thinks, what he feels, what he hopes for, etc. He's less a character and more a vessel for the player.

Can you give a silent protagonist personality? Yes - look at the Doom Slayer for instance. But silent protagonists with in-depth characterization are few and far between. Keeping this to Valve's catalogue, even Chell arguably has more personality than Gordon.
He is PHD scientist. He has character but he dont speak actually

A Seattle native, Gordon exhibited an early interest in theoretical physics, especially quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. His childhood heroes were Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Richard Feynman. After observing a series of teleportation experiments conducted by the Institute for Experimental Physics at the University of Innsbruck, the transmission of matter became Gordon's obsession. Gordon has no known dependents. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a Ph.D. degree in Theoretical Physics. His doctoral thesis on the teleportation of matter through extremely dense elements was titled Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array. Gordon's research into science eventually led him to accept a job offer by the Black Mesa Research Facility, and begin working on a top-secret research project headed by his mentor at MIT, Dr. Isaac Kleiner. He takes up residence at Black Mesa, conducting nuclear and subatomic research in its Anomalous Materials department. Despite his education as a theoretical physicist, the work Freeman is involved with at Black Mesa is of a more experimental nature.

Just Read this.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Can't they do both? Unless I dreamt it (which is possible, my memory is getting worse) didn't they do a VR Doom '16? I never played it due to not owning a VR headset or an interest in Doom '!6, but it struck me as being a very fast paced game. Surely a theoretical Half Life 3, could be both a VR game and a game for people unwilling to spend money on an expensive gimmick, seeing as the combat can't possibly be quicker than Doom '16.
There were parts in HL2 that definitely required quick reflexes. In the chapter where you have to ward off everyone coming into the cell block area, they shoot you so quick. I know they'd have to slow that for VR.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
He is PHD scientist. He has character but he dont speak actually

A Seattle native, Gordon exhibited an early interest in theoretical physics, especially quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. His childhood heroes were Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Richard Feynman. After observing a series of teleportation experiments conducted by the Institute for Experimental Physics at the University of Innsbruck, the transmission of matter became Gordon's obsession. Gordon has no known dependents. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a Ph.D. degree in Theoretical Physics. His doctoral thesis on the teleportation of matter through extremely dense elements was titled Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array. Gordon's research into science eventually led him to accept a job offer by the Black Mesa Research Facility, and begin working on a top-secret research project headed by his mentor at MIT, Dr. Isaac Kleiner. He takes up residence at Black Mesa, conducting nuclear and subatomic research in its Anomalous Materials department. Despite his education as a theoretical physicist, the work Freeman is involved with at Black Mesa is of a more experimental nature.

Just Read this.
All of that's true in of itself, but to say that translates into "character" is shaky. First, barely any of that translates in-game. There's a trope that exists for that, it's called "all in the manual." If anything, it contradicts what we see in the game because Gordon Freeman, egghead, is apparently a super-soldier who can fight his way through anything the multiverse throws at him. To borrow another term, it's a classical case of ludonarrative dissonance.

Secondly, how much of that tells me about Gordon Freeman, the person? That above excerpt tells me about WHAT Gordon is, but not really WHO he is. All I can gather from that in regards to the following is that Gordon was interested in science from a young age, and is apparently very intelligent. That isn't much basis for a character. It's kind of telling that if we looked at all the characters in Half-Life 2 and its episodes, Gordon is probably the least interesting character of the bunch. He never displays any personality, and everything he does is reactionary.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
come on, Gordon Freeman define Half life. cant imaigne HL without him.
I'm aware that you lack the imagination necessary for making changes in games. You want everything to stay just as you like it. That's a sad and narrow view of what is probably the most imagination dependent part of the entertainment industry.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
I'm aware that you lack the imagination necessary for making changes in games. You want everything to stay just as you like it. That's a sad and narrow view of what is probably the most imagination dependent part of the entertainment industry.
This is half life. you cant change its main character that define the game. thats my point.

its like making tomb raider not starting lara croft.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This is half life. you cant change its main character that define the game. thats my point.
Nah, you don't particularly need Freeman. You don't play as Freeman in Opposing Force, Blue Shift and Half-Life Alyx, but they still feel like Half-Life. Out of all the things that define the franchise, Gordon Freeman is the least important.