DoA Dev Says Jiggle Physics Are Part of Japanese Culture

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DoA Dev Says Jiggle Physics Are Part of Japanese Culture

Yosuke Hayashi says Team Ninja won't change the way it represents female characters.

In a recent interview the head of Team Ninja, Yosuke Hayashi, talked about Dead or Alive 5, and what players could expect from the most recent addition to the franchise. Dead or Alive has been notorious for its portrayal of female characters, and naturally the conversation turned to their portrayal in the latest game. What could players expect? Hayashi was unrepentant, claiming that the representation of women in DoA was a part of Japanese culture and Team Ninja wasn't about to change its ways.

"For us, within our culture," said Hayashi, "we're showing women like that, and we're trying to make them look attractive. We can't help if other cultures in other countries around the globe think that it's a bad representation. Within our nationality and within our national borders, we obviously have morals that we create our female characters from, but within our Japanese sensibilities, we've made those characters the way they are and we're not going to stop doing that." He also said it was "common sense" to portray females in the DoA style, though in context he may not have intended the phrase "common sense" in the same way English speakers would understand the term. The full quote reads: "We are a Japanese developer, and we're making the female characters with our common sense and our creative sense. When you take that to countries outside of Japan, it tends to be very misinterpreted in some cases, people considering it sexist or derogatory etc."

Though Hayashi claimed that Dead or Alive 5 would be more sophisticated than its predecessors, it became clear that he was referring to visual style only. "We really wanted to make the game look good in motion," he said, "and not shy away from adding a layer of filth and grit. We're making a game that looks like it could be a blockbuster movie, while being grounded in a fighting game."

Dead or Alive 5, jiggling warts and all, is due out in September 2012 for Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/interview-head-of-team-ninja-talks-dead-or-alive-5/0101641]

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
My initial reaction: That'll go over reeeeeal well with the gaming community
Upon further analysis, maybe it will. This isn't the first time the fighting game community has been unapologetic, if not proud to be anywhere from insensitive to discriminatory to female gamers.
Escapist, I wanna know your thoughts; Is this really a defining trait of the fighting-game community, or Japanese culture for that matter, or are these guys just making excuses?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
And sexism is a part of fighting game tournament culture. Just because something is 'part of your culture' does not make it fair, accurate or beneficial. Eugenics used to be a part of western culture, slavery was a part of many cultures, so was human sacrifice. Japan is in dire need of changing its depiction of women, hopefully this will happen sooner than later.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Well... at least he's being honest about it, not very many other devs/publishers would just come out and say something like that.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't actually see how sexuality is discriminatory. In that line of thought, is Twilight sexist for its shirtless werewolves in skinny jeans?

If anything, isn't it sexist to depict fighting females as all butch and shit? It'd be equal to a whole, girls have to be like guys to fight with them deal.

A girl can dress provocatively and still kick ass.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uh... don't worry Japan, I'm pretty damn sure that portraying women as jiggly pandering cheesecake isn't specific to your culture.

I'm honestly not sure what that guy's trying to say.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Boudica said:
>Implies breasts larger than your head look attractive.

lolwut
I think it's more the 'attraction' of knowing you'll be safe, when airbags save lives.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
I just came here to talk about tits, but uhm... I think Japan in most anime forms, need to calm down on the jiggly-puffs. I can't tell whether or not they're trying over-compensate for a possible reality of a lack of boobage, in Japan but, oh well.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I think this explains my reaction rather well.
[img=300]http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq326/flmhdpsycho/owl-funny-guy.jpg[/img]
In all seriousness i understand what he means,As a dutchman who likes sinterklaas I know how it feels to have another culture trying to crack down on a part of your own culture because it offends them.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm all for a more accurate portrayal of human anatomy, though I haven't actually seen these "breast physics" in action so I have no idea if they look realistic or not! But honestly, you'd think a woman who jumps around a lot kicking at the air and doing backflips had the sensibilities to put on a sports bra or something!

Outside of the bedroom, bouncing breasts are nothing but annoying. (Ok, running down the beach in slow-motion wearing tight red swimsuits is fair enough I guess) But boobs, am I right guys?

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Boudica said:
Draxz said:
Boudica said:
>Implies breasts larger than your head look attractive.

lolwut
I think it's more the 'attraction' of knowing you'll be safe, when airbags save lives.
I dunno. These ones might explode on hard impact.

*Mental image*
Sounds messy and kinda brutal... I think the recoil on whoever's face might go flying in the opposite direction, into the sky, Anime-style.

But in reality, I like to believe it's like a pair of mobile-pillows.. Or airbags that save lives. Without Japanese-anime nose bleeds, at anything relates to sex.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Video game media has recently been bringing up the issue of the sexualisation in Video Games.

It's good to see Team Ninja is still incredibly out of touch.