Doc Brown Explains Zelda Chronology Using Time-Travelling DeLorean

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doc Brown Explains Zelda Chronology Using Time-Travelling DeLorean

One timeline isn't enough to contain all the rescuing that the Kingdom of Hyrule needs.

The Legend of Zelda timeline is a confusing beast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_302/8789-Ocarina-of-Timelines], and trying to explain it is a pretty mammoth task. Fortunately, there's someone out there who not only has a big enough brain, but is also sufficiently well versed in 4th dimensional thinking to be able to understand it all. That man is Doctor Emmett Brown Ph.D., the inventor of the flux capacitor and father of time travel.

As you can see in the video, Doc Brown takes the confusing timeline and explains it in a way that is both entertaining and simple. Well, ok, it's still not simple, even with the rather charming visual aids, but it is entertaining. The video is the work of Grant Duffrin, who wrote and directed the video, as well as starring as Link and pulling off a rather good Marty McFly impression. Further cementing his reputation as some kind of fan film Leonardo da Vinci, he also put together the animations, which, along with Doc Brown's narration, is the real star of the show.

What's a little worrying is that as crazy as the video makes the timeline out to be, it's actually only a snippet, and the full timeline - which Nintendo's Eiji Aonuma has confirmed does exist - is crazier still. The whole thing would take much longer to explain though, and there's only so much crazy time malarkey people can take before they go cross-eyed [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o&feature=related].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5806152/only-one-man-can-explain-the-zelda-timeline]

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
That was seriously awesome.
Back to the Future has always been one of my favourite nostalgia movies.
And now it's combined with ZELDA!

Bungalow

Apr 15, 2009
Ha, I personally know this Doc Brown and had no idea about this... That's a bad sign for my social interactions.

Hilarious video though, some pretty impressive props but I think the Marty McFly life preserver at the end is the icing on the cake.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not only does this video combine two of my favourties stuff but also explain the whole timeline in a funny way! Man you would think that Ganon would of give up by the time he is defeated by the tenth or so Link.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Really well done. A lot of effort seems to have gone into this. They even made Link left-handed :D

MazdaXR

Mar 16, 2011
Has anyone got a link to the actual timeline set out by Nintendo? I just want to see how confusing it is without this explanation

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
It would be funny if this became a meme.

I don't mean to demean it, but I feel there's an awful lot of continuity that could benefit from this kind of explanation.

Dreamfiller

May 25, 2011
Im not gona even pretend i understood anything of that( expect what events refered to the games).

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Very clever. Love both franchises. I've played through most Zelda games, and, after seeing that, I still don't understand it.
Does 'Excuuuuse me' Link still count?

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Very clever. Love both franchises. I've played through most Zelda games, and, after seeing that, I still don't understand it.
Does 'Excuuuuse me' Link still count?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
'And then Link spent some time training with his crossbow!' 'Is that important or...?'

Link's voice was a little grating, but in fairness, I can't expect brilliance from someone who isn't Michael J Fox.

The Doc Brown impression was pretty good though...

Not wide-eyed enough though.

And to top it off, I still have no idea what's going on in the Zelda time-line...

ATmatey36

Apr 12, 2011
Gotta love how that scrambled mess wasn't even the whole timeline...and it's still pretty much incomprehensible.