Doc Brown Meets His LEGO Self In Dimensions Promo

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Doc Brown Meets His LEGO Self In Dimensions Promo

"Great Scott!"

Warner Bros. has released a new promotional video for LEGO Dimensions, with Christopher Lloyd reprising his career-defining role as Emmett "Doc" Brown from Back to the Future. In the spot, Brown unboxes a LEGO Dimensions kit containing a toy version of himself (noting that the figure is, "very handsome") and constructs the Dimension Portal toy.

Lloyd is one of four actors known to be revisiting prior work in LEGO Dimensions. Troy Baker will be back in the Batman role he performed in the second and third LEGO Batman games and Elizabeth Banks will contribute her voice to the LEGO original character, WildStyle, as she did previously in The LEGO Movie. The part of Gandalf will be played by Tom Kane, who also voiced the character in a 2002 action-adventure game based on The Fellowship of the Ring.

[gallery=4169]

The video also includes new footage from LEGO Dimensions, with an emphasis on Back to the Future expansion content. Both of Doc Brown's temporal vehicles (the DeLorean and Time Train) appear, along with glimpses of the 1800's Hill Valley setting.

LEGO Dimensions is in development for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Wii U consoles. It is scheduled to launch September 27 in North America, followed by a European release on September 29.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCQF5WRugec]

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
OK, well, someone is seriously trying to give my inner child an aneurism here...

Computer games... Lego... AND back to the future!?

You'd have a hard time finding something more obscenely fine-tuned to mess with my head if you actively went looking for it...

I mean, I'm way, way, more excited here than I should be about something like this... >_<

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
LEGO Dimensions is in development for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Wii U consoles. It is scheduled to launch September 27 in North America, followed by a European release on September 29.
And you lost me, bring it to PC and i would more then happily pay for the game + expansions, to this day i still don't understand why developers shoot themselves in the foot and leave out systems.

Edit: And i just found out this is just some Lego version of that skylanders thing where you pay millions of dollars for some plastic toys to play a video game, got excited to think this was a new normal lego game, still i stand by my confusion as to why no PC.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Woah that was heavy.

I know I will buy the McFly set for sure (love Lego AND the film) but I'm not sure about Doc Brown with that portal.

Either way it was great to see Christopher Llyod on the screen as he hardly appear on the screen well the non kids ones.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Lego sure is putting a lot of money into this. A couple of my friends are already talking about what sets they are going to buy, so I guess lego's efforts are paying off.

I'm rather ambivalent, as I'd still prefer a pc version of the game and the only thing that's really tempting me is the portal stuff. Even if I don't get the game, I must admit that I'll probably get Chell and Glados.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I'm going to need to see some price points, but I'll call myself cautiously optimistic. If it's something like 5 dollars added to the cost of every LEGO kit in exchange for being able to go all Disney Infinity on it, I may need to buy a bigger house...

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Alfador_VII said:
Oh wow, Christopher Lloyd got old :(

He can still pull off the Doc though. Awesome advert
He is looking a bit haggard for sure.

Not that it matters, but I actually got to meet him at a con about 4 or 5 years back. Such a nice guy. So many of the nostalgia farming con circuit mainstays just seem not to care, but Lloyd was all smiles and enthusiasm.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Hmm.
On the one hand, wee! another TT LEGO game, those are always fun and have generally been worth my money.
On the other hand, it's another one of these expensive figure collection games that essentially have no end.
Amazon has the starter pack pre-order up for $100.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Oh wow, Christopher Lloyd got old :(

He can still pull off the Doc though. Awesome advert
Yeah... On the other hand, they had him playing someone over 60 in Back to the future back in 1985, so... 30 years later?
Just as well he was younger than 1985 doc... XD

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I wonder how long til we arrive in a future where people are using 3d-prnters to try to pirate lego sets?

I like the look of this, though I hear the pricetag may be high. Never was a far of the "buy a shit ton of small parts" stuff I saw from the Skylanders and Infinity ideas, doubt I will like it here.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
God damn it Escapist, you had to go and post this didn't you? I could resist Skylanders, I could resist Disney Infinity, I even managed to resist the Amiibos as I don't have a Wii U. But this? I can't resist this. I was hoping it would be at least jut be Xbone/PS4/Wii U, but it's not, RIP wallet.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
runic knight said:
I wonder how long til we arrive in a future where people are using 3d-prnters to try to pirate lego sets?

I like the look of this, though I hear the pricetag may be high. Never was a far of the "buy a shit ton of small parts" stuff I saw from the Skylanders and Infinity ideas, doubt I will like it here.
It'll take a while. The quality of 3d printed parts doesn't compare that well to lego.
Neither does the cost of it in many cases.

It can easily cost more to print certain parts in terms of the cost of the raw plastic than the same official parts cost in bulk.

People largely print lego blocks as a curiosity, to prove they can. (not an easy task, because the tolerances are absurd. To get them to stick together properly, and not be too hard to separate, or come loose too easily, they have to be within 10 micrometres. And that's assuming ABS is being used. A lot of current 3d printers can only manage 100 micrometre tolerances.)

Another possible reason is custom pieces with unusual shapes not actually produced by lego.

Anyway, to a large extent you can't 'pirate' a lego set in the first place. The patents on most of the basic elements have long since expired, and while newer elements could still be covered by design patents (ones created after about 1990 could still be covered by patents of some kind), many basic elements are not.

Minifigures are something of an exception, because those have an iconic design that is more than just functional, so they managed to trademark those.

Anyway... The real issue is it largely just isn't viable to 3d print lego at the moment.

Chinese knock-off lego is a more realistic issue. I've certainly seen sets from some weird chinese company that look an awful lot like official sets.

3rd party lego-like stuff isn't actually that rare, but this is considerably more blatant than the majority of those...

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
runic knight said:

It'll take a while. The quality of 3d printed parts doesn't compare that well to lego.

It can easily cost more to print certain parts in terms of the cost of the raw plastic than the same official parts cost in bulk.

People largely print lego blocks as a curiosity, to prove they can. (not an easy task, because the tolerances are absurd. To get them to stick together properly, and not be too hard to separate, or come loose too easily, they have to be within 10 micrometres. And that's assuming ABS is being used. A lot of current 3d printers can only manage 100 micrometre tolerances.)

Another possible reason is custom pieces with unusual shapes not actually produced by lego.

Anyway, to a large extent you can't 'pirate' a lego set in the first place. The patents on most of the basic elements have long since expired, and while newer elements could still be covered by design patents (ones created after about 1990 could still be covered by patents of some kind), many basic elements are not.

Minifigures are something of an exception, because those have an iconic design that is more than just functional, so they managed to trademark those.

Anyway... The real issue is it largely just isn't viable to 3d print lego at the moment.

Chinese knock-off lego is a more realistic issue. I've certainly seen sets from some weird chinese company that look an awful lot like official sets.

3rd party lego-like stuff isn't actually that rare, but this is considerably more blatant than the majority of those...
That is actually some good info to know, I didn't know that 3d printers were still so limited in precision. Guess I kinda thought of them as plastic versions of automated CNC mills capable of a bit finer detail. Kinda makes me a little worried about the sort who want to use them to print out fake hearts and stuff. Good intention, but sounds less plausable now.

As for the legos themselves, I have seen some good custom piece makers out there. And I have seen a lot of knock offs too. I suppose I now know why sometimes they play nice with lego brand and sometimes they don't though

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
runic knight said:
CrystalShadow said:
runic knight said:

That is actually some good info to know, I didn't know that 3d printers were still so limited in precision. Guess I kinda thought of them as plastic versions of automated CNC mills capable of a bit finer detail. Kinda makes me a little worried about the sort who want to use them to print out fake hearts and stuff. Good intention, but sounds less plausable now.

As for the legos themselves, I have seen some good custom piece makers out there. And I have seen a lot of knock offs too. I suppose I now know why sometimes they play nice with lego brand and sometimes they don't though
Well, it's not impossible to get better tolerances out of a 3d printer. And there are alternative methods that get used.
Lego itself prototypes new parts with a Stereolithography based system.

But, you're talking 3d printers in the $100,000 mark here.

The more affordable ones have a long way to go. And there have been improvements. (some designs focused specifically on precision have gotten to 10-20 micrometres), but the majority are still pretty far off that.
There's also something of a discrepancy between the directions. The Z axis (the layers that get built up) typically gets better precision than the X-Y axis that prints each individual cross-section.

I mean, give it another decade or so and even the cheap home 3d printers could likely be precise enough to just about meet those tolerances, but that's not the case just yet.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Kind of a little sad to see Christopher Lloyd got old :(

Wait, are they pulling a Skylanders with Lego now? Oh lord lol. RIP wallets come this holiday season.