Doctor Strange - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Special Effects

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Doctor Strange - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Special Effects

Doctor Strange is another relatively formulaic Marvel movie.

Read Full Article

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Marvel, I know every once in a while some really good character stuff comes out. We're talking the effects of PTSD on a super hero, the delightful 'band of losers' theme in guardians (and really there was excellent writing in there. a smile at a troll doll informed more about two characters than 10 minutes of exposition would have), and the best supporting cast ever in a superhero movie in Ant Man.

But then this good stuff was crammed into 15 minutes of Civil War and Strange is an explosion fest. This sort of vapid focus-grouped removal of deeper content isn't sustainable, just ask DC.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I want to see it but it is too bad.

We have seen enough origin stories. Mutants and inhumans no longer need one. Dr. Strange however needs SOME exposition. It should have been a relatively brief scene told in reflection. I would want to sense that Strange is not some Luke Skywalker novice that nearly became a Jedi between meals for Han and Leia. I would want the movie starting out with him being the Sorcerer Supreme.

Then, the only limitation is the imagination of the writers. The guy travels through dimensions and fights fiery demon over-lords of nether realms. Makes Thor look like brick layer by comparison.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Considering that the movie had to sell us both on Doctor Strange's character and the fact that magic coexists with the aliens and future tech that are already present in this cinematic universe, I thought it did a really good job. Frankly, I don't think that audiences are particularly fatigued by the fact that this is an origin story. It was formulaic perhaps, but I do not think that is an envelope that Marvel has to push when it comes to new characters.

I think my only gripe (well, a small one anyway) is that this origin is firmly established after the events of Civil War. Thus Strange is more of a newcomer to this superhero thing, whereas the scope of his role almost makes it feel as though he should have been at this longer than anyone. But again, just a minor nitpick.

But yeah, the special effects blew me away. :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
No mention of how Mads Mikkelsen played the villain role? Aww.

Kinda reminds me of that 90s film The Shadow with Alec Baldwin and Tim Curry where he had to learn mystical powers in Eastern lands to meld other people's perceptions.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Considering that the movie had to sell us both on Doctor Strange's character and the fact that magic coexists with the aliens and future tech that are already present in this cinematic universe, I thought it did a really good job. Frankly, I don't think that audiences are particularly fatigued by the fact that this is an origin story. It was formulaic perhaps, but I do not think that is an envelope that Marvel has to push when it comes to new characters.

I think my only gripe (well, a small one anyway) is that this origin is firmly established after the events of Civil War. Thus Strange is more of a newcomer to this superhero thing, whereas the scope of his role almost makes it feel as though he should have been at this longer than anyone. But again, just a minor nitpick.

But yeah, the special effects blew me away. :p
The events of his training and defeating the villain take place before Civil War.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008

The events of his training and defeating the villain take place before Civil War.
No they don't, infact you can tell they don't because right before his car crash he is given a list of potential patients by an associate and one of them is Rodie (an airforce colonel with spinal injuries received whilst using a powered suit, or something close to that) which he in turn dismisses.

My understanding was that the movie was meant to be part of phase one but due to Cumberbatch having other work commitments it got sidelined.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Fischgopf said:
Whenever I read a Review that's goes on like this, I can't help but wonder what EXACTLY the Reviewer wanted to see. Did you go into this Movie expecting it to be a heavy drama about a surgeon coming to grips with being unable to continue to be a surgeon or what gives?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but I can't shake the feeling that you wanted this Superhero Movie to not be a Superhero Movie, which is a weird sentiment.
At least he didn't dismiss it as bad only because it was a Superhero Movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it in IMAX for maximum tripiness. And I can understand why the movie didn't throw everything about magic at the audience; in this universe of super science and alien tech, we have to be EASED into magic, which was only touched upon in the THOR movies. You know, to compare and contrast, science vs. magic. That's a classic trope.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
It was a fun and visually impressive movie. It never really comes into it's own however. The plot was tight and proficient where I think it would have been better to slow down and build it's magical world more.

I think Christine Palmer should have had 1 less scene not more. The movie really didn't need a love interest to work and it felt rushed enough that I'd rather we get a little less mundane and some more strangeness in it.

The message was very confused also and the after credit scenes were a little jarring.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Is Benedini Cumberlini any good in this? I've been real/ lukewarm towards seeing this since I think he's got the acting power of a wet towel, and 'decent visual effects' isn't quite the selling point needed for me to sit through something he's the main character of.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Laughing Man said:
No they don't, infact you can tell they don't because right before his car crash he is given a list of potential patients by an associate and one of them is Rodie (an airforce colonel with spinal injuries received whilst using a powered suit, or something close to that) which he in turn dismisses.
Nope, That's not him, that's the Guy who got his back spun in one of Hammer's Iron man suit knock-off from Iron-Man 2.
-The Ancient One asks Strange how did he became a genius surgeon? His answer was Years of Study and Practice. This line is not to be taken lightly.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I personally was a tad disappointed by the magic on display in the movie. No Crimson Bands of Cytorakk, just magic energy linr things. I'm guessing we'll see more eventually.

The timeline was confusing as well, but it works.

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo has me hoping that Loki won't be the only good Marvel villain in the MCU forever.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Because Doctor Strange is relatively unknown to the non-comic universe, an origin story suffices for him. Its not as if he's Spidey and everyone knows the "great power... great responsibility" Yoda-ism from Uncle Ben or radioactive/genetically altered spider-bites. Now beyond that? I haven't yet seen the movie, but I'm going on Monday.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Y'know, it's weird. Usually I agree with Marter's comments, but not the score. This time, I agree with the score, but not the comments.

Anyway, detailed my thoughts elsewhere, but for me, it's the best MCU film I've seen, and one of the three I consider to be genuinely "good," rather than "average."

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
The movie was damn good for a single viewing. My biggest gripe with it is that while this movie is about mages, the combat felt more like "magical kung-fu" than anything actually magic-ish.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Mister K said:
The movie was damn good for a single viewing. My biggest gripe with it is that while this movie is about mages, the combat felt more like "magical kung-fu" than anything actually magic-ish.
Yeah, that is one of the points that I feel that they've missed an opportunity on. But I feel that it's more of a deliberate choice than a "they can't do it". I also can't imagine how good an action scene without turning into wizards LARPing at each other.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Nope, That's not him, that's the Guy who got his back spun in one of Hammer's Iron man suit knock-off from Iron-Man 2.
I doubt it, ignoring the fact that the director of the film has now stated that we shouldn't read to much in to the phone call, i.e he's not saying who it is, the time line doesn't match. Right at the start of Dr Strange you see the post Avenger's fully repaired Stark building that alone suggests that the time line for Hammer's guy just doesn't add up.

So while it may not be Rhodie the time line certainly doesn't add up to Hammer's guy either.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Fischgopf said:
Whenever I read a Review that's goes on like this, I can't help but wonder what EXACTLY the Reviewer wanted to see. Did you go into this Movie expecting it to be a heavy drama about a surgeon coming to grips with being unable to continue to be a surgeon or what gives?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but I can't shake the feeling that you wanted this Superhero Movie to not be a Superhero Movie, which is a weird sentiment.
No, he's complaining that Marvel follows a boring, rigid formula for their movies that makes them all feel the same, and if someone tries to exert some creativity then they get fired. He's saying that, while the movie has its moments, it's the result of a lot of focus testing and business shenanigans.

I actually enjoyed the film. My brother wanted to see it. It was better then I thought it would be. Even I acknowledge that that's just because I like wizards more then iron men, though. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's just sort of forgettable. It's a Marvel movie. If you like their other movies, you'll like. If not, you'll hate it. It won't be changing any minds. But, given the money those movies make, it doesn't really have to.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Laughing Man said:
I doubt it, ignoring the fact that the director of the film has now stated that we shouldn't read to much in to the phone call, i.e he's not saying who it is, the time line doesn't match. Right at the start of Dr Strange you see the post Avenger's fully repaired Stark building that alone suggests that the time line for Hammer's guy just doesn't add up.

So while it may not be Rhodie the time line certainly doesn't add up to Hammer's guy either.
Haven't seen Strange yet, but Dr Strange is namedropped as one of the powerful individuals Hydra wants to eliminate in Winter Soldier, which means him becoming the Sorcerer Supreme has to take place before then, middle of Phase 2.