Doctor Strange Surpasses Iron Man at Box Office

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Doctor Strange Surpasses Iron Man at Box Office

<youtube=HSzx-zryEgM>

What superhero fatigue?

For the longest time, it seemed like Doctor Strange [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(2008_film)], which is still making significant money, has already taken over Iron Man's #1 spot.

Iron Man took home $585 million worldwide. Doctor Strange has already taken in just over $617 million, and it could still be in theaters for a significant period of time. It was only released four weeks ago, and at least domestically is still sitting at the #3 position at the box office - with relatively small drops week-to-week.

Of course, the largest take-home for a debut movie was Guardians of the Galaxy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks], which grossed $773 million worldwide. It gets excluded from these lists because it was the debut for multiple leading characters, not a single superhero. Is that fair? I don't know. But I figured you would appreciate knowing the full story.

The next Marvel Cinematic Universe movie will be Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which hits theaters on May 5, 2017.

Source: BoxOfficeMojo [http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=mcuintro.htm]

[gallery=6644]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Guardians is next? *checks*

Hm, my brother and I got the next 3 movies backwards. But I mean, I was confused why we were getting trailers for that and not Ragnarok. Alrighty then.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Saelune said:

Hm, my brother and I got the next 3 movies backwards. But I mean, I was confused why we were getting trailers for that and not Ragnarok. Alrighty then.
I'm pretty ready for Ragnarok myself. I know the Thor movies don't seem to pull in the kind of money the other films do but I really dig Hemsworth and Thor. Thor 2 was a little weak but far from bad.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I can't wait for the inevitable complete box set of the entire MCU, a decade or so from now.

Also, my mental soundbyte for the second screenshot - the Ancient One opening Strange's third eye - is Sombra's "Boop!" from Overwatch.

Don't ask me why.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:

I'm pretty ready for Ragnarok myself. I know the Thor movies don't seem to pull in the kind of money the other films do but I really dig Hemsworth and Thor. Thor 2 was a little weak but far from bad.
The Dark World only really falters when they go back to Earth in the last third or so, all the stuff before that in Asgard, and even the neat scenes in London with Jane and Co. are excellent and pretty good respectively. It's why I think, based on the pre-release stuff, that Ragnarok will be the most popular Thor movie. That and the Hulk being in it.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Well, good for MCU! I'll be tickled pink when/if Doctor Strange ($619M) passed Suicide Squad ($746M) and Batman V. Superman ($873M) on the worldwide market. I'm not a Marvel fanboy--just a fan of good movies. And I enjoyed Doctor Strange more than either of those DC titles. Deadpool isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed the shit out of that one as well. It's been a good year for superheroes. (Thanks Cap'n!)

Damn, Buena Vista! You're going to wind up with 5 of the top 7 worldwide grossing films this year.
1 Captain America: Civil War BV
2 Finding Dory BV
3 Zootopia BV
4 The Jungle Book (2016) BV
5 The Secret Life of Pets Uni.
6 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB
7 Deadpool Fox
8 Suicide Squad WB
9 Doctor Strange BV

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
How is it film studios manage to pump out high quality sequels that tell boku bucks year after year while the Videogame Industry cannot grasp the same talent and inevitably runs it's franchises into the ground with samey boring bullshit?

I'm not sure if I can blame toy executive for this but i'll certainly try.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
TsunamiWombat said:
How is it film studios manage to pump out high quality sequels that make booku bucks year after year while the Videogame Industry cannot grasp the same talent and inevitably runs it's franchises into the ground with samey boring bullshit?

I'm not sure if I can blame toy executive for this but i'll certainly try.
Because they suck at paying their voice actors?

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Well I wasn't that into it but I'm glad it's doing well. At this point you want all Marvel movies to succeed so that there will continue to be more Marvel movies.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Good on Strange, it had pretty good writing even if the plot was kind of paint by numbers at this point, but oh my god the special effects were gorgeous. I wish they had been more experimental and less "sparkly kung fu" with how the magic worked but some of the scenes where they went all out (Not spoiling anyone here) were gorgeous.
JUMBO PALACE said:
I really dig Hemsworth

Seriously though, I do like the Thor movies and I want to see more of Loki in Ragnarok.