Doctor Who and Donna Team Up With the Bard

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Doctor Who and Donna Team Up With the Bard

Doctor Who alums David Tennant and Catherine Tate will rekindle their bantering chemistry as one of Shakespeare's most famous couples.

Season Four of Doctor Who saw David Tennant and Catherine Tate traipsing about the universe as the tenth incarnation of the Doctor and his companion, Donna. Now, the actors are joining forces to bring another bastion of British culture to life: Shakespeare. Tennant and Tate will star as Beatrice and Benedick in a new production of Much Ado About Nothing, opening this June in London's West End.

Tennant and Tate broke the news in an interview with the BBC (that can be viewed here [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12134635]). In between talking about their past projects and their expectations for the production, complimenting one another, and generally palling around, the duo revealed that they had once "been DJs together... as in on the radio." Can I set the tuner in my car to that dial, please?

Both actors have performed with the National Theatre and the Royal Shakespeare Company; in speaking with the BBC, Tennant noted that theatre "feels like my proper job." Since leaving Doctor Who, Tate has appeared in Gulliver's Travels, while Tennant has leant his voice to the animated How To Train Your Dragon.

Much Ado About Nothing will run at West End's Wyndham Theatre from June 1 to September 3.

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12134635]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
But... Tennant's Doctor met Shakespeare in series 3 with Martha.....

Oh god! That's how Shakespeare was influenced to write Much Ado About Nothing! EDIT: And Hamlet!

Damn causality.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
A Spoony Bard, perhaps?

TimeLord said:

Oh god! That's how Shakespeare was influenced to write this story!
Forsooth, the plot doth thicken! Forsoooooth!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
TimeLord said:

Oh god! That's how Shakespeare was influenced to write Much Ado About Nothing!

Damn causality.
Dcotor Who STRIKES AGAIN!

I really wish I could see this

Apr 28, 2008
Amnestic said:
A Spoony Bard, perhaps?

TimeLord said:

Oh god! That's how Shakespeare was influenced to write this story!
Forsooth, the plot doth thicken! Forsoooooth!
I say, I conquer! Milady.

OT: Didn't Tennant also do Hamlet? I should probably watch that one of these days...

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Moriarty70 said:
Please let them film this like his Hamlet and Stewart's Mackers!
YES. I saw Tennant's Hamlet on PBS, and loved it. Tennant plays a good crazy person.

trickfred

Mar 22, 2010
How to Tame Your Dragon? Didn't his character only have like one line right near the end of the movie?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Shakespeare? Meh, *yawn* what/ever.

Catherine Tate & David Tennant? MUST HAVE! I don't care if it's Shakespeare's or Britney Spears, I want it on DVD if it has those two in it! :-D

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Tennant seems to like to make cameo appearances. I think he and Tate will do well in those roles. I wish I could see it.

trickfred said:
How to Tame Your Dragon? Didn't his character only have like one line right near the end of the movie?
At the beginning I think, but yeah.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hm. This could actually work. They had a bit of banter on Who so the constant bickering and insults in Much Ado... could work out quite well (Y)

Meark

Oct 24, 2009
Moriarty70 said:
Please let them film this like his Hamlet and Stewart's Mackers!

Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Tennant and Tate will star as Beatrice and Benedick in a new production of Much Ado About Nothing, opening this June in London's West End.

It's an actual stage production, so if it's filmed, it's either a bootlegged shakey-cam, or a leaked archival version. On the bright side, the audiences will be packed regardless.

xhable

Oct 17, 2008
Love the Tennant.... but Catherine Tate has the most irritating whiny voice in the world. Please stay off my tv!