Doctor Who Game Sneaks Out Early

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doctor Who Game Sneaks Out Early

The first episode of the Doctor Who adventure game is available for download a few days ahead of its official release date.

City of the Daleks, the first episode of the official Doctor Who game, has been released a few days ahead of schedule with relatively little fanfare. You might be wondering why a game based such a popular show is getting such a low-key release, and it's because it's not quite finished yet

"We're testing the system with an almost-final version of City of Daleks' ahead of the official release date," said BBC executive producer Anwen Aspden. "The reaction so far has been overwhelming, but so far we're still investigating whether we should tweak certain elements up to release on 5th June. So whilst those who've downloaded and enjoyed it in its current iteration have the advantage of playing through it early, there may be some minor tweaks coming."

Aspden goes on to say that the BBC expect a fairly heavy strain on the servers after the official release on Saturday, but would let people know if the finished product is available before then.

The release is currently restricted to the UK, but is free to download. Having had a go myself - one of the advantages of being British, aside from the cool accent and free castle - I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It's not going to compare to a hardcore game, but for something that the BBC is giving away for free, I'm pretty impressed.

If you live in the UK, and want to give it a try for yourself, click here [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/theadventuregames] to visit the site.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179616]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Jealousy...Levels...rising!!!!!

How is the game play working so far? Anyone else thinking of Dl'ing it?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly be giving it a shot! I hope it dosnt play too badly...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I am downloading this right now. I'll see you in a few hours once I've decided whether it's good or not.

Now, where's [user]Timelord[/user]?

EDIT: What's with the system check thing? Surely there aren't any computers that can't run these specs:

Operating System: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)
Central Processor Unit: Intel Pentium4 1.6 GHz+ or AMD Sempron 2800 + or higher
Main Memory: Windows XP / Windows 7 - 512 MB, Windows Vista - 1GB
Free Hard Disk Space: 2Gb (pus additional working space)
Sound Card: Direct X 9 compatible
Graphics Card: 100% DirectX 9 or above compatible. 128 Mb memory. Pixel Shader 2.0 or above with the latest drivers for your card.
The game supports onboard graphics cards that have Pixel Shader 2.0 capability (includes the Intel chipsets) but may have reduced framerates.
You also require DirectX 9 to be installed on your PC. The game installer will install these as part of the install process.
It is recommended that you install the latest graphics driver for your video card. The best place to find new drivers for your computer is the manufactures' support website, for example Dell, HP or Samsung.

EDIT 2: I've played it, and the animations are horrible and for some reason Amy's script is totally awful, but it's presented a lot like a full episode so if you just treat it like that it's OK. They didn't make it particularly game-like because they are trying to make it accessible to non-gamer Doctor Who fans as well. Still, it's not bad and could entertain you for maybe... 30 minutes?

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Saw this earlier on Kotaku's #speakup section, downloaded it, played it, it's rather short, about an hour or so depending on how quick you are. But very fun. I loved it and can not wait for the next episode.

Feb 13, 2008
Well worth exploring as well if you want some of the cards. Though how the Adipose is under friends is beyond me.

Chocolate Jellybabies are cool though.

Apr 28, 2008
So this is what its like having something restricted by region.

I'm going to go rage now.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Its nice that i dont have to see the "Sorry, you are not in the Correct Region to download this" Message.

I'll have to download this now.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
SHH! Don't let out to the rest of the world that we get free castles, otherwise they'll have even more of a reason to be jealous of our awesomeness!

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Tharwen said:
EDIT: What's with the system check thing? Surely there aren't any computers that can't run these specs:

Operating System: Windows XP (with Service Pack 2)
Central Processor Unit: Intel Pentium4 1.6 GHz+ or AMD Sempron 2800 + or higher
Main Memory: Windows XP / Windows 7 - 512 MB, Windows Vista - 1GB
Free Hard Disk Space: 2Gb (pus additional working space)
Sound Card: Direct X 9 compatible
Graphics Card: 100% DirectX 9 or above compatible. 128 Mb memory. Pixel Shader 2.0 or above with the latest drivers for your card.
The game supports onboard graphics cards that have Pixel Shader 2.0 capability (includes the Intel chipsets) but may have reduced framerates.
You also require DirectX 9 to be installed on your PC. The game installer will install these as part of the install process.
It is recommended that you install the latest graphics driver for your video card. The best place to find new drivers for your computer is the manufactures' support website, for example Dell, HP or Samsung.
[sub]should I feel embarrased?[/sub]

I downloaded it anyway, on the off chance it will work. Which it won't.

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
Didn't really think it was very good. But it is targeted at kids, which explains a lot of the over-used, simple game mechanics they have in it. Crate pushing? Click and drag puzzles? Nah thanks. But if you're 12 or under, go for it.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Real universal health care, free castles, and a Doctor Who game!?!

Now you're just rubbing it in. I want a refund on this empire.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Optimus Hagrid said:
[sub]should I feel embarrased?[/sub]
You're not the only one... _>

I'm not that torn though, it's really rare that movies/shows make good games, and I have a feeling this won't be such a masterpiece.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
HA! We got something at last! In your face, Americans, with all your competitions and other crap!

Downloading this now, with a full write-up of everything that happens forthcoming :D

If my castle's download limit isn't reached, anyway...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I think that what I love the most about this whole thing is that these games are specifically a direct tie-in and considered completely 100% canon, tieing in directly with the series and it's episodes. Not even the books are considered 100% canon, so this is a pretty big step. Which, as a Doctor Who fanboy, I love :D.

Anyhow, won't be downloading them yet because of memory constraints on my laptop, but when I have some free memory they'll be first on my download list :D

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Where is the region checking happening? Is it on the website or is it in the actual program? If it's the former, then I imagine you could just upload this to a torrent site and just download it from there. I really don't understand why the BBC blocks off their Dr. Who content to American users. I understand wanting to drive people to their American site, but don't pull dick moves like this. It's never a good idea to piss off your fans.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
I really don't understand why Comedy Central blocks off their Daily Show content to non-American users. It's never a good idea to piss off your fans.
Yes, well. Here is my point; feel its wrath! Wrath and splinters!

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Tharwen said:
you called? free things are still awsome though/

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Irridium said:
So this is what its like having something restricted by region.

I'm going to go rage now.
I'd imagine you can still get it through other means.

cough torrents cough.

What? It's not piracy if the game is free. And this isn't even a full game from my understanding.