Doctor Who: Heaven Sent

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I've virtually given up on Doctor Who episodes written by Steven Moffatt at this point, but I thought Heaven Sent was one of the best episode in years. Really strong performance by Peter Capaldi, creepy atmosphere and a great score.

It did make me wonder if Steven Moffatt is a fan of Dark Souls, the castle the Doctor was trapped in could have come straight from Lordran.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoyed it, to be honest, but it's worth noting that Steven Moffatt only wrote the script. The bits which really stood out for me were, again, the atmosphere, score and strong visual design, which I would presume comes from Rachel Talalay (the director) and Murray Gold (the composer).

As a script.. well, it wasn't fluffy and breezy which I think became a problem in recent Doctor Who, and I think Moffatt has realized that he cannot write metaplot. Having the doctor be on his own rather than surrounded by an expanding cast of woodland friends definitely brings back more of the Steven Moffatt who wrote episodes like The Empty Child and Blink but I think as usual with Moffatt it was less clever than it thought it was being.

Overall though, yeah.. Really good.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Another episode that was held by Capaldi's acting, with a different Dr, it wouldn't have worked. Clever use of Cardiff castle for the interiors. The story itself was bit obvious and I got there before the wonder genius that is the Dr, however I did like his mind palace. The Clara haters are in for bad time next week as they find out who ( sorry I couldn't resist) ends up stopping the Dr from destroying Gallifrey.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
I personally really enjoyed this one. I like how the look inside the mind of the Doctor and the general creepy atmosphere of this episode. I thought it was a good follow up to last week's episode.

I thought using Clara as a figment of his imagination was the perfect amount of Coleman for the episode. My biggest fear for the next episode is that Moffat might bring back the actual Clara for a happier ending somehow and in my opinion take away from the emotional power of these two episodes.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I liked it, especially:

the Jericho trumpet sound effect when he was diving out the window, and the part where it went cyclic, going back to him counting up thousands, hundreds and millions of years. That, and the "beat down a diamond wall with your own fists" concept was an interesting trial, as was the concept of it all being in a pocket dimension inside the confession dial

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
It seems to me like they finally figured out how to play to Capaldi's strengths, as he's been the thing holding this season (especially this episode for obvious reasons) together

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
This is my new favourite episode. Along with others, I figured out what was going on as soon as I saw the skulls (I had my suspicions when we didn't see who pulled the switch at the very beginning), but the bird part confused me until it was all but hammered into the audience.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Chris Mosher said:
I thought using Clara as a figment of his imagination was the perfect amount of Coleman for the episode. My biggest fear for the next episode is that Moffat might bring back the actual Clara for a happier ending somehow and in my opinion take away from the emotional power of these two episodes.
I dont think that will happen. Moffat did write the episode that killed off Amy and Rory after all.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
so about his line at the end of the episode, do you think he's referring to himself, and they're clarifying the 'half-human' line from the 8th doctor's movie, or do you think he's referring to 'Me' the immortal played by maise williams?

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Artistically bold, supremely well directed, and boasting an outstanding performance from Peter Capaldi; I really do not have enough praise for this episode. And it's quintessentially Moffat. Everything about it is Moffat. All of the very best of what Moffat has had to contribute to Who distilled, refined, and presented in one tidy package.

Dec 10, 2012
It's the best episode of at least the last two years. I've always liked Capaldi but the scripts and stories he's had have been mostly mediocre. This is the episode I've been waiting for since he began his tenure.

I don't know if it's because of Clara's absence as everything but a motivation for the Doctor, or whether it's because it took them this long to give Capaldi something worthwhile, but I am so thrilled with this hour of television. I hadn't even realized how disappointed I was with the last two series until after this episode.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The_Kodu said:
I kinda hope the Half Human line (as I kinda liked that as an idea) but I'd also like to see the return of a known half human time lord. The Doctors Daughter (seriously they implied she'd be back at some point). Heck in the First Doctor Who series it's hinted in his time on Earth the Doctor had a family so there's that too.
I think you are going to be disappointed

It's going to be Clara. Ashildr said that she and Clara had long conversations written in her diary. Clara has entered the Doctor's time stream so versions of her have been throughout time and space. The trailer for next week showed someone in a regeneration chamber but it was meant to look the Dr but the old bait switch means its going to be Clara coming back.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
The_Kodu said:
I think they overdid the repetition at the end a bit to fill time (first time I've ever thought an episode was trying to fill time rather than rushing it)
It felt that way at first for certain, but I think in the end that it was perhaps a directors choice, to sort connect you somewhat with the doctor, endless repetition of doing the run around over and over again for well over 2 billion years.

OT: Yeah, really liked it, this season has been really enjoyable so far, really knows how to play to Capaldis strengths as an actor(especially the last 10 minutes of The Zygon Inversion), and his Doctor feels waaaaay better than whatever the fuck they were trying to do with him in Season 8. Fucking Danny Pink *grumble*

Heaven Sent was more or less Dark Souls as done by The Doctor(including throwing your self at a brick wall til it breaks!) and it was marvelous. Carrying an entire episode on your own as an actor is no mean feat and Capaldi did so flawlessly, the episode was very well scored, cinamatography worked very well with the themes and mood of the episode, and it managed to tell a story that had all of the pieces plainly in sight to line up to a an excellent, deep story with a currently satisfying payoff, but did so while keeping everything simple.

The worst episode has to be The Sleep Monster episode, but even that wasn't bad, just forgettable. I really hope Moffat doesn't spoil everything up in the last five minutes like he did in the opener with the Dalek Shit Mutants and that ludicrous "Ah, but I knew that you knew that I knew you knew" gambit with the Time Lord DNA extraction.

The scenes before with Davros and the Doctor were so good and then you piled it in shit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, finally got round to seeing it on iView. And all I have to say is this:

"Fantastic!"

But, yeah. Atmosphere is brilliant. Acting is brilliant, made even more so that Capaldi is carrying an entire episode by himself. Cinamatography was brilliant. The plot and its twist was brilliant. Whether one likes Doctor Who or not, I think that even by itself it's a stunning piece of fiction conceptually. Probably not the first of its kind - time loops have been done before after all - but even so...well, "brilliant."

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Well clearly you guys saw a different episode to me, because the one I saw was bloody awful. Capaldi was great - obviously - but the episode was utter shite. I thought maybe with Clara's death the Doctor would learn to function as an adult again, and boy was I wrong. He opens the episode swearing vengeance against whoever was involved in killing her, and ends it by punching a wall until he dies. Repeatedly. For over a billion years - which does make me wonder if time was kept separate inside the confession dial. But, then, the stars wouldn't have shifted so much, so the Doctor really is a billion years into the future. He's really kept Gallifrey waiting, so at this rate he'll be invading and conquering a Gallifrey that has literally no idea who he is or what he's playing at.

There's also the implication that if the Doctor is dying he can simply climb back into his Confession Castle and activate the teleporter and come out fresh and new.

And, now, no offence to Jenna Coleman, but I hate Clara. I've hated her from the start. And I've only grown to hate her more. I find her character ridiculous, pointless and otherwise find that she detracts from every season she's in. Where are the companions who caused trouble with their ignorance or curiosity? Isn't that the point in a companion? The Doctor's been around for over a thousand years and spent most of it floating about learning intergalactic laws and customs and generally knowing what's what. It seems very odd, to me, that the whole point of Clara's character seems to be "I cover all the Doctor's mistakes" where previous Doctors have only pretended to be farcical madmen and have actually been playing a different game all along. I just don't understand why the Doctor suddenly became 90% reliant on Clara. It doesn't make sense to me. Where's the hinted-at callousness of his character? How is the dark side of the Doctor meant to be believable when he has to go ask Clara for permission to do things inside his own goddamn head?

Clara should have ended her role when she got trapped inside the dalek. That would have been the best way for her character to disappear. It would close the circle, in a way, and be damned dark. And no, this episode wasn't dark at all. This episode was shite. The villain was ridiculous. For one, the Doctor could have barred the doors to the super-diamond wall and punched it to his heart's content and there would be shit-all that the monster could've done about it. I'm also annoyed by the whole "It's trying to scare me, I can freeze it with a confession" when it just straight-up murders him anyway. Surely it stopped because it was trying to scare a confession out of you and not kill you? If it kills you, there's no more confession. Unless the chessmaster behind the whole scheme knew you were going to murder yourself, teleport yourself back into life and punch the diamond wall a lot. And repeat the same two confessions for a billion years. I have got literally no idea what the possible intention of that whole arrangement could've been. It's just silly. Especially "Time Lords are hard to kill."

Really mate. You were trapped in a Tardis of sorts. Clearly Time Lord technology. Whoever is trying to kill you is a Time Lord, and they've been around for a while. By now, they've most assuredly mastered the art of killing other Time Lords, so the fact the monster almost killed you and then teleported out is either deliberate or a massive fucking oversight. Why does the monster even teleport back in when the castle resets? Who designed that ridiculous feature? Moreover, who decided to have the castle keep resetting? In what world did that make sense?

The only answer is that the Doctor inexplicably sealed himself in that castle to teach himself a lesson about feelings.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Fantastic episode, on my top 5 list for sure.

On the subject of Clara though.
I hope she stays dead.
I really like her as a companion, but now she has the longest run of any companion (tied with Rose), and it's time for someone new.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Breakdown said:
I've virtually given up on Doctor Who episodes written by Steven Moffatt at this point, but I thought Heaven Sent was one of the best episode in years. Really strong performance by Peter Capaldi, creepy atmosphere and a great score.

It did make me wonder if Steven Moffatt is a fan of Dark Souls, the castle the Doctor was trapped in could have come straight from Lordran.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the spinning corridors, that place is like The Duke's Archives and Sen's Fortress crossed with Anor Londo, it'd be a totally awesome level in Dark Souls.

On Topic, I enjoyed the episode alot, I like that it played with time travel concepts and really enjoyed the monster and environment design throughout. Another plus is that Clara is now gone for good, I've honestly had enough of her self-righteous perfectness.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
First off, I agree with the others who got a Dark Souls vibe from this. When the Doctor emerged from the water it reminded me a lot of the wharf in New Londo, and the castle certainly is reminiscent of the various structures in Dark Souls ( definitely The Duke's Archives).

Absolutely loved this episode, and shows what Capaldi is capable of; I knew I liked him as the Doctor from the start. Only saw glimpses of it though ( like in that train episode in S8 ) until now. First episode in his tenure that I've watched multiple times. Besides the Doctor, loved the haunted setting and the score complements it very well. Definite top 3 of the new Dr Who ( girl in the fireplace and blink still occupy the top spots, sorry Capaldi ).

Just to be safe

I'm still at a loss though, how did he end up at Gallifrey? And I'm still unsure how I feel about this Hybrid thing, first I ever heard of it ( but I've been told there have been hints/mentions of it beforehand, and I did miss some episodes so I'll have to rewatch it.)

Still, loved the mind closet concept ( never watched Sherlock so I don't know about the similarity) and even Clara's part in the episode. Looking forward to the next episode ( and I haven't said that about Dr Who in a while ). I also think The ole Doctor is wrong about what he said at the end there ( I think it's just misdirection ) and I think that Ashildr will play a role in this.

PS - I do love the concept of Ashildr, and I like Maise's portrayal of it ( I don't watch GoT, so I don't have that frame of reference)