Doctor Who: How do you transition from David Tenant to Matt Smith?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
snipped for length. You should learn to do that.
cry harder, newkid. Don't want anyone to challenge your precious little fantasy and keep thinking your happy thoughts, don't ask.

Matt Smith pulls off the Doctors benevolence and his brutality perfectly.

Once you watch enough of his series, you'll realize how much better it is, and hopefully learn some taste in characters.
That's a bit rude, don't you think?

albino boo said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
undeadsuitor said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Ugh.... I just got to the episode where they upgrade the daleks.

Seriously? Taller and bright new colors? Are they fucking George Foreman Grills now? The Daleks were already unstoppable killing machines, they didn't need an upgrade let alone one that made them STYLISH! How are these ones any better? Because the eyestalks are a bit different? Because their voice isn't the iconic screetch anymore?

And Pond doesn't remember the planet fucking moving? They seriously ret-conned that with the cracks on the wall? And I also just met River... Not going to ask how she knows who the Doctor is already but she seems like an entirely different character then the one we met in the library.

V,V It's just easier if I pretend this is an entire reboot.... Sides a version of 10 is still out there, in Pete's World. Granted he's human.
I'm not sure what's the point of the new colors, other than to distinguish the "Leader" Daleks from the normal ones (since you see normal colored Daleks in later episodes) , but the reason the Daleks are taller (and even changed at all) is because Matt Smith is a good bit taller than David Tennant. The "old" (really not that old) Daleks were designed to be Tennant's height to make them intimidating. Now that Smith's the Doctor he literally towered over the old Daleks so they made them taller to match.

Also it's not a "ret-con" if ONE person doesn't remember.

And the point of River is that her history is reverse to the Doctor's so you aren't supposed to know how they met (even though her story is explained in later episodes) The River in the library is the last River. The end of her story, you know..with her dying and all. It's River after she's spent a lifetime crossing paths and learning from the Doctor.

I'm not saying the 11's run is beautifully written or anything, but a lot of the problems you have with it are answered in the episodes.
I can see if, say he was taller than the Cybermen. Yeah that be a problem. But a Dalek? First time I saw them they were hard enough to take seriously, fucking trash can with a plunger ductaped to it and telescope. One episode and murdering an entire base of people later, yeah one Dalek = pretty fucking scary. They shoot freaking lazer's they'd be terrifying at any size..... But I can forgive the size.

The colors? No. There is no defending the colors. They look like they should be sporting the Apple logo now.

Yeah I've come to realize that about River... That's actually not a bad gimmick.

EDIT: I'm assuming if Amy doesn't remember it was erased from existence... but I'm only 5 episodes in.

The Daleks have colours because they had colours from the early 70s, when colour TV came in, to when they added Davros in the late 70s. Its not new, but a reference back to classic Who and also means these Daleks reject the authority of Davros. The Daleks rebelled against Davros and gave the leaders colours to donate rank, which was explained in the early 80s. Both Moffat and Gattis watched the show in that era and keep making references back to the old stuff, so when you think something is new and radical the chances are that it isn't and is probably 40 years old.
Oh well c'mon. They can't be expecting everyone to dig into the lore of a television cannon that has been around this long. Unless one already had that frame of reference in mind, I'm telling you they look too damn pretty. Like they rolled around in a skittles factory.

I did just google the 70's Daleks and the modern one in comparison. I like the look of the 70's ones far better then their current incarnation.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Oh well c'mon. They can't be expecting everyone to dig into the lore of a television cannon that has been around this long. Unless one already had that frame of reference in mind, I'm telling you they look too damn pretty. Like they rolled around in a skittles factory.

I did just google the 70's Daleks and the modern one in comparison. I like the look of the 70's ones far better then their current incarnation.
Its a throw away thing to bring backed coloured Daleks, it wasn't a plot point and it was a nice reference to classic who. The simple reason why I know it is because I was watching at the time, in fact I can just about remember the first appearance of Davros, I must have been about 5 at the time. The 70's Daleks looked ok until they moved at which point they looked like someone sitting a in tin can pushing it along with his feet.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Silvanus said:
He pulls it off better, there's no denying that, but he's still lacking in real gravitas or respectability. When Ecclestone made a decision, got angry, got upset, it meant something... and then almost any Tennant performance, to me, felt interchangeable with any other. Smith is a marked improvement, but he still lacks gravitas. The role still suits an older man, but target audiences have changed, unfortunately.

People seem to exclude Ecclestone from New-Who discussions for the simple reason that he's not a teenage fantasy in an eccentric get-up.
I exclude him because he's really not BAD he's just not what the doctor should be. all of season one, even the awful, still had the PROMISE, but since he gets lost after its over, there's less to say about him.
You are correct, though, that Smith is too young to be the doctor, but all three of them were

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
How the hell is Rose in any shape was a slut? Because she leaves Mickey for The Doctor? Oh boo fucking hoo, Mickey was a wimp at the start of the series and walks out of the Tardis box in 4 a fucking man. Christ sake, Captain Jack is the whore of the series if there ever was one. Christ, Pond herself was working as a fucking kiss-a-gram, not the same thing but still.
Rose didn't just leave Mickey for the Doctor. It wouldn't be a big thing if it had been just that. But she was quite simply a wishy-washy, fickle little thing who was basically yo-yoing between them pair. Hell, you can't even call it that as it quite obvious that the Doctor is winning here and she's just dragging it out and leading Mickey on.

I won't call her a slut. But I do think she's a bit of a ***** in that regard.

You remember that episode where Mickey tells her that he was starting to get involved with another girl that they knew? She's getting all emotionally attached to our doctor but she had the nerve to have a fucking fit when she learns this and get pissy. And when Mickey points out that she's never around, just keeping him on the bloody string, what does she say to that? Nothing. Because she can't say anything worth a damn.

Hell, Rose didn't even officially leave him. Mickey left her by all technical aspects when he chose to stay in that parallel world. Where once again she got all sniffly from his words that "there was nothing left for him in our world." Yeah, he became badass and all. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Rose was a terrible girlfriend once the Doctor graced her presence. Who knows how long she'd have just kept leading Mickey on by said string if the guy hadn't made his decision when he did.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
game-lover said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
How the hell is Rose in any shape was a slut? Because she leaves Mickey for The Doctor? Oh boo fucking hoo, Mickey was a wimp at the start of the series and walks out of the Tardis box in 4 a fucking man. Christ sake, Captain Jack is the whore of the series if there ever was one. Christ, Pond herself was working as a fucking kiss-a-gram, not the same thing but still.
Rose didn't just leave Mickey for the Doctor. It wouldn't be a big thing if it had been just that. But she was quite simply a wishy-washy, fickle little thing who was basically yo-yoing between them pair. Hell, you can't even call it that as it quite obvious that the Doctor is winning here and she's just dragging it out and leading Mickey on.

I won't call her a slut. But I do think she's a bit of a ***** in that regard.

You remember that episode where Mickey tells her that he was starting to get involved with another girl that they knew? She's getting all emotionally attached to our doctor but she had the nerve to have a fucking fit when she learns this and get pissy. And when Mickey points out that she's never around, just keeping him on the bloody string, what does she say to that? Nothing. Because she can't say anything worth a damn.

Hell, Rose didn't even officially leave him. Mickey left her by all technical aspects when he chose to stay in that parallel world. Where once again she got all sniffly from his words that "there was nothing left for him in our world." Yeah, he became badass and all. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Rose was a terrible girlfriend once the Doctor graced her presence. Who knows how long she'd have just kept leading Mickey on by said string if the guy hadn't made his decision when he did.
Yeah but Mickey... I have a hard time blaming Rose because Mickey kinda starts out this real weak lacking backbone of a character. The real sweet, nice guy but emotionally Mickey's a kid. Yeah Rose pitches a fit because all of a sudden, Mickey kinda rebels a little and tries growing a backbone but he's never able to properly kick Rose to the curb is he?

Lets face it. Rose was settling for Mickey, the same way she was settling for her existence of watching TV and eating chips all day before the Doctor came along. They were not right for each other in the least, and in the long run both end up better.