Doctor Who Ratings Rise in the US, Fall in the UK

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
forsinain42, that's fantastic- I'm surprised they still rely on viewing figures as opposed to relative percentages. If the BBC were an advertisement-funded channel, that might matter more, but only in the sense that the channel is being watched less. Looking at the percentages, the show is definitely performing.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
If I recall correctly, it was still nice and sunny at 6pm on Saturday, so I'm not surprised many people didn't watch it live and recorded it instead.

Case in point, my Mum asked me to record it for her (so I didn't watch it live either) because at the time it was broadcast she was enjoying the evening Sun, bobbing around on our boat in Devon (200+ miles away) and having a barbecue on the beach.

Regardless of the weather, 6pm is a little too early for most people and if anyone worked a full day on Saturday, it would be unlikely that they made it home in time to watch it live.

If a flagship new series gets less than expected viewing figures when it's broadcast at 8pm in December, then maybe you could start to worry and draw negative conclusions from the figures.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
tghm1801 said:
IAmTheVoid said:
The show's gone to hell? Huh? Sure, the first of this two parter wasn't all that impressive, but last season was pretty good. Where's all this pessimism come from?
I love the last season, don't get me wrong.
It's just gone all... well, let's just say it's catering to a different audience now.
An AMERICAN audience - which is completely different to a BRITISH audience.
For example, compare these two television shows - 'The Office (UK)' and 'The Office (US)'.
I don't see that in Doctor Who at all. After all, why would it cater to the smaller audience? Even if it's become more popular in the U.S, they still had far less viewers. We had roughly 6 times as many viewers as America, they're not going to switch focus yet.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
A number of people Ive talked to where annoyed at a perceived "americanisation" of the show.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
Also, I'm a bit disappointed that Britain (population: circa 62 million) can drum up 7 million live viewers on a nice day, while the USA (population 307 million, in 2009 anyway, 5 times as much) only managed 3.5 million. Doctor Who is 10 times more popular over here?

Feb 13, 2008
Pretty simple reason.

It was broadcast at 6pm Saturday here. So not only on the weekend everyone was out, but on one of the hottest weekends of the year and at a stupid time.

TBH as well, it was a pretty weak episode. Good but not great.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I've said it before and I mean it.

On the one hand Gasoline and River bloody Song.

On the other it had Mark Sheppard in it.

It balances a bit but the second half would want to be damn good.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
While the figures seem a little bleak,
I'm sorry, but I don't think 10% of a countries population watching a program (and 37% of the total viewing public as Forsinain shows) makes the figures "A little bleak". Considering in most countries it would be counted as a Niche program (Sci-Fi Action Comedy) I think the figures are fantastic.

Also, as you pointed out in the article, few families (the target audience) are going to be in during a 4 day weekend when is 25c and Sunny.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
This probably a result of Doctor Who's new direction from the original way it was presented which made it so popular in the UK in the first place, so since it has change the original fans don't like it so much. Russell T. Davies didn't write the best Doctor Who series' but he did adapt to include a wider audience without losing the core principle of the show: The Doctor is Awesome and can do anything with style weather it be wearing a scarf, celery or even a bow tie.

Feb 13, 2008
HankMan said:
I don't believe however that Doctor Who being tilted toward Americans automatically makes it bad.
It really does.

It's like Paul Bunyan wearing a Redcoat. Canadian Mounties using boomerangs. Bobby Kotick joining Jack Thompson.

While not bad as such, it's so horrifically reality shattering that you can't come back from that.

I'm trying to think of a more contemporary American version, but if you can imagine Obama referring to Fries as Chips.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I thought it was a great episode and one of the best I've seen(thanks Steven Moffat, now somebody fire Russel T Davies and we might have something decent to work with). That said I must have missed all the advertising for it as I didn't even realise it was happening until the day before when I caught a teaser while channel hopping. I also watched it time-shifted (tech term for Sky+) because I had a barbeque to attend so yeah, probably slightly to do with the weather.

Also I didn't even notice the use of the word "gasoline" and I don't give a shit.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, the episode was kinda weak in my opinion... it tried to go for a big 'wow' factor, but... kinda didn't really work. Still, its only the start of the season yet, so lets see if it improves :)

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Doctor Who started again?
Meh, I lost interest when halfway through David Tennant's last series.
Besides, if there are people using 'Gasoline' in it now, there goes the last % chance I might watch it again.

I was outside enjoying my arse off in the heat, and will likely be doing so again today.
Easter Holidays end a week later for my school, bitches.

Jul 22, 2009
6pm on Saturday I was sitting in the middle of town in the sun during a water/beer fight.

Also the series isn't as good anymore, the constant 'next biggest threat to earth/the universe' really starts to grind...

Plus some of the storylines/explanations are downright awful... 'Starwhale'... brought back by memories.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well I was outside at the time. And if it was nice enough for ME to go outside then I'm surprised anyone watched the show at all. I watched it on iPlayer in the evening and really liked it. Though I rarely watch live TV anymore.

I'm also really surprised how low the US numbers are. I keep an eye on viewer figures of varios shows for my Stargate User Group on here and a maximum of 1.3m is fairly low for a show I would have thought would be far more popular.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It really does.

It's like Paul Bunyan wearing a Redcoat. Canadian Mounties using boomerangs. Bobby Kotick joining Jack Thompson.

While not bad as such, it's so horrifically reality shattering that you can't come back from that.

I'm trying to think of a more contemporary American version, but if you can imagine Obama referring to Fries as Chips.
...seriously? People are getting upset because of the five freakin' minutes they've done in America to the show (and, while saying this, I'm aware of the TV Movie, let's not bring that any further into the conversation)? Look, I'm not trying to troll here, but while the show is quintessentially British, it's a show for everyone (speaking as a Yank). Yes, a single word from American jargon (gasoline) was used. *sarcasm mode* Oh, sweet merciful Lord, the show is over! NOOOOO!!!! /sarcasm mode

So, the show isn't allowed to expand and try to appeal to a more broad audience to achieve more success? Because nothing about what the show is will change because of it. Not so long as Moffat is in charge, I'm fairly sure (disagree if you like, but after last season, I have great faith in the guy, even if the opener for this season was lackluster in my opinion).