Doctor Who Ratings Rise in the US, Fall in the UK

GreigKM

Dec 9, 2008
This wasn't a very good premier, I must say. Not a bad Dr. Who episode, no, there are far worse ones out there, but not a very good premier.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
I watch Dr. Who because it has the Brit Flair to it, it was nice not to watch another show that was exactly the same for the past few years for me.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Plinglebob said:
Logan Westbrook said:
While the figures seem a little bleak,
I'm sorry, but I don't think 10% of a countries population watching a program (and 37% of the total viewing public as Forsinain shows) makes the figures "A little bleak". Considering in most countries it would be counted as a Niche program (Sci-Fi Action Comedy) I think the figures are fantastic.

Also, as you pointed out in the article, few families (the target audience) are going to be in during a 4 day weekend when is 25c and Sunny.
And when American shows like Stargte Universe are getting 900,000 or less a week in America, I would say 6.5m in a smaller country is a success.

OT: 6.5m is a hell of a lot in Britain. And I'd like to point out that it was also the second most watched program that entire day next to Britains Got Talent with 9m, which is to be expected.

I liked the series opener. I have watched it 3 times so far. Also, it was a rare day of sun in the UK.

k-ossuburb said:
Gah, that Christmas special annoyed me. Not for the shark, I was okay with that, it was the fact that the guy comes in physical contact his past-self which we were already informed that YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THAT.

Captcha: Retype above.

What the hell?
That's been a broken point for a while now. He did it in series 5 too. But then again the ONLY time it has been mentioned was in Fathers Day, and the only reason it's a plot point is because creating a paradox gave the Reapers strength and allowed them into the church.

Mad1Cow said:
I missed the beginning of it because of traffic, however I was still disappointed. It's like they tried to throw every plot twist they could in the first episode. And not matter what you say, those aliens were based off of the slenderman, yet the writer claims it was his own original monster. I think the cherry on the cake was "I'm pregnant", let's not lie, that's for your soap operas your mum watches...in fact I was surpised this wasn't playing at the end
Moffat actually said that the Silence are based off the Scream painting.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
£500 says the reason it was rated so high in the US was because it was based in the US. Yanks take nationa... erm... "patriotism" to new extremes =p
More extremist than the Brits and the BNP? Doesn't the "N" in "BNP" stand for "nationalist?" At least the Yanks don't have a major political party proudly founded on the principles of racism and xenophobia.
LOL

You think the BNP is a major political party.
It may not be "major," but it isn't inconsequential. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
£500 says the reason it was rated so high in the US was because it was based in the US. Yanks take nationa... erm... "patriotism" to new extremes =p
More extremist than the Brits and the BNP? Doesn't the "N" in "BNP" stand for "nationalist?" At least the Yanks don't have a major political party proudly founded on the principles of racism and xenophobia.
Republicans?

Honestly, republicans are founded on Xenophobia. Racism seems to be more of a minor thing.
Actually, no. The Republican Party isn't called "The Party of [Abraham] Lincoln" for nothing. It wasn't until the 1950s that the Southern Dixiecrats defected from the Democrat Party and joined the Republicans over the issues of desegregation and civil rights.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
They are nowhere near being a major national party. Please don't associate Brits with BNP, associate racists with the BNP.
I wouldn't be keen to have my country associated with that lot but the fact remains that someone over there likes them enough to vote for them in significant numbers. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Da_Vane said:
JDKJ said:
Just wanted to correct this: Yes, the British National Party are a racist and xenophobic party, but they are not a major political party yet. They have yet to claim a single seat in the House of Commons, and while they may have aspirations in this regard, much of the populace consider them abhorrent because of their racism and xenophobia - as well as other aspects of discrimination. They exist because we allow for a multi-party system and any number of candidates on any number of platforms, under the principles of free speech and free assembly.

Compare this to the Tea Party, who are part of the Republicans/GOP that is a major national party in the US Senate. Whether any Tea Party-ers are actually in the Senate, is a matter for debate, but strong racist, nationalist, principles are more present in the US political system than the UK political system. Whether these principles are representative of the population as a whole, however, is also a matter for debate.
The Tea Party candidates may have run as Republicans and the ones elected may now caucus with the Republicans (although I suspect that there are many Republicans that wished they wouldn't), but to say that the Tea Party is a part of the Republican Party may be to misstate the case. They themselves claim to have many registered Democrats among their ranks.

And that "strong racist, nationalist, principles are more present in the US political system than the UK political system" is also a matter for debate. At least the American politicians couch their hatred in code words and dog whistles. The BNP's candidates don't hesitate to call a Pakistani a "Paki bastard."

cWg | Konka

Feb 9, 2010
I was out playing football in the sun and didn't watch it on tv, got in on bbc iplayer a few hours later tho

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
seniorsharptothetouch said:
The WEATHER is the reason?

Ya! If the sudden storm of Will & Kate watchers counts!

The same thing happened with Heroes... The last season took place during the election of the century!

Which would YOU rather watch? A TV show or HISTORY in the making?

Besides I'm still waiting for the EXTRA SPECIAL "alternate timeline" episode...

here's a hint

What were you watching that featured Will and Kate? The weddings on Friday...

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
I missed it. Me and my friends were just hanging around so we just forgot about it. And yes the past couple of weeks over here have been brill! I'm glad I got two weeks off college to spend out side in the parks, town and have BBQ's with friends.

However I did watch it last night on BBC iPlayer and, although the concept for the new monster was interesting, I found the show less compeling. Not only that but the show seems to be getting more and more kid friendly. Yes, its always been like that but it always had an extramore adult undertone with more interesting story elemnts. But that said I am 17 now so I guess I'm less interested than maybe when it started as I was closer to a child when it came back.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Not surprised personally. The show's kinda lost momentum since Tennant left.

Not bashing Smith or anything, but Ten was 'the' Doctor for a lot of people(including myself) hitting the target age bracket during his tenure and I think we grew very attached to him. Combine that with the complete change of every other aspect of the show(from the writing staff to the logo), perhaps for some it's just not the same.

I know that's how I feel about it. :/

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
forsinain42 said:
6pm.

It was on at 6pm.

Doctor Who shouldn't be used by the BBC to prop up it's shit Saturday night lineup. It should be the centre, the gleaming jewel of the BBC.

Here are the 15 minute breakdowns.

17:30 ?.. 1.6 (13.0%)
17:45 ?.. 2.2 (16.4%)
18:00 ?.. 6.0 (35.3%)
18:15 ?.. 6.6 (37.1%)
18:30 ?.. 7.0 (37.5%)
18:45 ?.. 3.2 (18.5%)
19:00 ?.. 3.4 (19.4%)

See that jump? That's Doctor Who.

Now the 5 minutes...

17:55..3.91m
18:00..5.73m
18:05..5.98m
18:10..6.27m
18:15..6.43m
18:20..6.55m
18:25..6.79m
18:30..6.90m
18:35..6.96m
18:40..7.10m
18:45..3.88m

Note 2 things. One is that a 15 minute delay could have nabbed about 0.7 million more views and second note the drop off. People aren't just watching Who because its on. They are watching it because its Who!

Now what did the 11th Hour get on it's first night?

8.0m ..... (38.4%)

See that? About a single % less. It just shows that so many fewer people were watching TV. 1.5 million people didn't abandon Who, they abandoned ALL TV!

Not only that but it was the highest rated non-soap/reality show on during the whole week!

It did well. Ignore the media.
Quoted for truth.
Good some people are able to use their brain a bit.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
DanDanikov said:
Also, I'm a bit disappointed that Britain (population: circa 62 million) can drum up 7 million live viewers on a nice day, while the USA (population 307 million, in 2009 anyway, 5 times as much) only managed 3.5 million. Doctor Who is 10 times more popular over here?
well it IS a British show >.>

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
JDKJ said:
Abandon4093 said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
LOL

You think the BNP is a major political party.
It may not be "major," but it isn't inconsequential. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)
Oh yea, they sure aren't inconsequential. Them having NO seats in parliament is by no means a downer on that theory.

They're a fringe party. The only reason they exist is because the UK has a multi-party system. Anyone can create a political party and anyone can vote on them. The UK obviously has Racists and Xenophobes, as does your country. If you think otherwise you're a grade A moron.

You may aswell say that the 'Pirate Party' is a major British political party.

What you're looking at is the downside of freedom of speech mixed with a multi-party system. Any idiot is free to say what they like. And even more idiots are free to agree with them.
The Parliament isn't the only representative body. If you think it is you are a Grade "A" moron. The BNP are apparently able to do rather well at the local level. A quarter million votes and 14% of the votes cast ain't peanuts. What percentage of the vote did Cameron and the Conservatives get last time out?

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
Republicans?

Honestly, republicans are founded on Xenophobia. Racism seems to be more of a minor thing.
Actually, no. The Republican Party isn't called "The Party of [Abraham] Lincoln" for nothing.
I thought they called themselves the GOP... either way American politics worries me, in England, we see that cameron is being a twat and it his actions benefit only the upper class and call him out on it (fruitlessly I know, I have already mentioned the fact that he is a twat), whereas in the states, you have a leader who talks big and gets votes, then basically gives the republicans exactly what they want, then is called out by conservative media for not being right wing enough, then when the effects of conservative priorities cause a load of jobs to be lost they then blame the same guy who gave them what he wants, yet he and the American people still seem to think that the republicans are the good honest guys... even when they directly oppose something that the people are crying out for, they say "well the people want the [exact opposite of what they are saying] and by sticking with our priorities you will get them.
At least in England the cycle goes: labour comes in, sorts some stuff out, spends some money in the wrong places/has to pay off a bunch of pikeys whilst not paying out dole money to people actually hunting for jobs, the conservatives come along, totally screw everything up for everyone not on a 7 figure income then the people realise they have been duped and vote labour again... needless to say I vote MRLP for great justice.

Anyway, back on the ACTUAL topic of this thread:

I think that the good weather through zombie awareness weekend (otherwise known as easter), which is a rarity in our oft drenched isle, lead to a lot of people (like me) being out with family walking dogs, having barbeques etc, whereas if it were any other weekend then I would be at my own house, watching doctor who on my telly, my sister on hers, my parents on theirs and my best mate on his, rather we all gathered round my parents more expensive TV in the lounge of just one house, therefore reducing the potential pool of people watching it by a huge margin, with people doing that all over the country, it isn't really surprising that the viewership appeared so low, I remember last year me and my mates would crowd round the telly in the pub to watch the F1, instead of us all being in our respective houses, so it has an obvious effect on a TV's numbers.
As for the content of the show, well we all like to pretend that no one likes america because of that whole... uhh... Bush... thing that was going on for a while over there, not to mention the small issue of playing moral authority to the middle east despite the actions of their own soldiers whilst over there (seriously, my brother and sister had more horror stories about troops from the states than the actions of the people they were actually fighting!) so a good portion of people don't like seeing america taking centre stage in a primarily British show (guess we are the xenophobic ones right?)
And well, Matt Smith, hes a love it or hate it character, a lot of people still have a bitter taste in their mouth from the RTD era, and he is kind of a newer crazy doctor that not many people are really comfortable with, no one, I mean NO ONE can emulate the level of alien wierdness that tom baker pulled off in his tenure as the fourth doctor, but Smith does a better job than previous doctors, but some just don't like it.
To be honest I liked Doc 9 for being more like me (a leather jacket wearing pissed off northerner) so that was a good introduction to the show for me (but thanks to the magic of torrents i have discovered the previous doctors were also quite fantastic.
Doc 10 was good but my main problem with him was the fact that he played the whole apologist timelord angle that got boring a few episodes in, I mean the quote that Doc10 will be remembered for is likely to just be "Im sorry, Im so so sorry", which doesn't really sit right with me, however his last few episodes really turned it up for me, and by the end I was kinda in the same boat as him "dont wanna go!"
Doc 11 seems a bit more cocky, far more tenacious and way more sure of himself and his abilities as the timelord, not exactly the timelord victorious, but damn close, to some I guess he would come off as acting a bit like, well a twattycake, but he certainly makes it suit him, not to mention his preference for fezes, as I have to agree, in the right scenario, they are indeed cool.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
They are nowhere near being a major national party. Please don't associate Brits with BNP, associate racists with the BNP.
I wouldn't be keen to have my country associated with that lot but the fact remains that someone over there likes them enough to vote for them in significant numbers. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)
They're still not a major political party, and should never be associated with all British citizens

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
Republicans?

Actually, no. The Republican Party isn't called "The Party of [Abraham] Lincoln" for nothing. It wasn't until the 1950s that the Southern Dixiecrats defected from the Democrat Party and joined the Republicans over the issues of desegregation and civil rights.
Yes, because the Republican party clearly hasn't changed in the time between Abraham Lincoln and now.

Honestly.
Did you miss the part where I said that there was a major shift in the Republican Party's constituency in the 1950s?