Doctor Who Season 7: Episode 1 - Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Flamezdudes said:
Because you want to, you know you do. Sexy, sexy Dalek's with their plummer... things.
WHAT DO DALEKS FIND SEXY
HOW DO DALEKS DO FOREPLAY
DO DALEKS EVEN HAVE GENDERS

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
Flamezdudes said:
Because you want to, you know you do. Sexy, sexy Dalek's with their plummer... things.
WHAT DO DALEKS FIND SEXY
HOW DO DALEKS DO FOREPLAY
DO DALEKS EVEN HAVE GENDERS
THE SHINIER THE ARMOR THE SEXIER.
They foreplay with mind connections?
I'm pretty sure they have genders... look at Oswin.

SirBryghtside said:
...is it just me or did the Daleks say they were scared, an emotion they don't have, right before the Doctor reassured Amy that she wasn't a Dalek yet because she still felt fear?

Come on Moffat, if you're going to ignore established canon at least make your episodes fit with their own continuity. Not impressed.
Yeah, I was quite confused at that as well. They don't fear anything.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
...is it just me or did the Daleks say they were scared, an emotion they don't have, right before the Doctor reassured Amy that she wasn't a Dalek yet because she still felt fear?

Come on Moffat, if you're going to ignore established canon at least make your episodes fit with their own continuity. Not impressed.
Yeah he does that a LOT. One of the reasons I absolutely despise him being in control of the whole series as far as story goes.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Well they lost it as soon as they had a Dalek beg for mercy in that stupid River Song bit....

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Tallim said:
Flamezdudes said:
Well they lost it as soon as they had a Dalek beg for mercy in that stupid River Song bit....
Oh god, you've gone and made me remember that. That was very cringey.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
S'alright.
I don't have high hopes for this season to be honest. It looks pretty mediocre compared to previous seasons. It was an OK episode, but nothing special and it had a few plot-holes.
All in all, pretty good, not mind-blowing and a bit of a let down. Ending was pretty good, I like how they Daleks have forgotten the Doctor. It might make Dalek episode more interesting instead of the usual ''YOU ARE THE DOCTOR, EXTERMINATE, OH NO HE OUT-SMARTED US FOR THE 500th TIME BUT IT'S OK 3 OF US SURVIVED AND WE'LL REBUILD LIKE WE HAVE FOR THE PAST GOD KNOWS HOW MANY SEASONS.''
Yeah, I'm not a Dalek fan. Dalek episodes are predictable and I don't like them, fuck me right?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Tallim said:
Flamezdudes said:
Yes it was, I am deeply sorry for making you relive that trauma. Although today's episode had equally nasty bits.

On an unrelated note, why are there chains on Daleks, who puts them there? They don't do anything, they just sort of slip off as soon as they move.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Tallim said:
Flamezdudes said:
Tallim said:
Flamezdudes said:
Yes it was, I am deeply sorry for making you relive that trauma. Although today's episode had equally nasty bits.

On an unrelated note, why are there chains on Daleks, who puts them there? They don't do anything, they just sort of slip off as soon as they move.
I noticed that too. Those chains were flimsy and if they were meant to keep those Dalek's still and under control they did a very crappy job of it, since they broke as soon as the Dalek moved against it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I liked the ep
Josh12345 said:
Yeah I was kind of wondering how all of those Daleks survived the Time War but I guess the Season 5 finale retconned their extinction, it feels kind of cheap and now all they need are the Time Lords to return and the Time War will have been officially pointless.
That already happened in the last one David Tennant did (I can't remember the name of it). Sure they may have gone straight back into the time lock, but for about half an hour there they were back in black (well, red with funny shoulder pads).

I liked the episode well enough, wasn't the greatest thing ever but I'm still happy with it. I can't wait for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That looks aces!

Encurtidos

May 1, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
I liked the ep
Josh12345 said:
Yeah I was kind of wondering how all of those Daleks survived the Time War but I guess the Season 5 finale retconned their extinction, it feels kind of cheap and now all they need are the Time Lords to return and the Time War will have been officially pointless.
That already happened in the last one David Tennant did (I can't remember the name of it). Sure they may have gone straight back into the time lock, but for about half an hour there they were back in black (well, red with funny shoulder pads).

I liked the episode well enough, wasn't the greatest thing ever but I'm still happy with it. I can't wait for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That looks aces!

Are you talking about the End of Time? I agree, the emphasis on the daleks is kind of lost with so many ways of escaping the time war. So the time war basically means the extinction of Time Lords!?

Dorden

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly, what freaked me out the most about this episode is that Oswin looked at the camera after saying "and remember". Also, the doctor mentioned in the.. parliament of the Daleks to make them remember you. Just find it odd

james0192

Meh!
Oct 12, 2009
Have to say that I saw the twist coming from a mile off, As soon as the Doctor said that organic matter gets converted to daleks my first thought was "Oswin is going to turn out to be a dalek but doesn't know it" though I was expecting her to be one of those human dalek things.

Yeah there were a load of plot hole but then again this is Doctor who - There always is a load of plot holes.

Main question is how are they going to bring Oswin back? as I'm fairly sure that Jenna-Louise Coleman is confirmed to play the new companion. It either be solved by the fact that she plays a different character or, you know, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey stuff!
Hopefully she'll play a similar character though - Oswin actually seemed rather intelligent unlike most of the doctor's companions - she might actually be able to do something for herself!

I am quite glad Amy and Rory are going though - I've never really liked either character and I've always thought too much time has been spent on them.

I'm happy as long as there's no River Song tbh...

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
james0192 said:
Main question is how are they going to bring Oswin back? as I'm fairly sure that Jenna-Louise Coleman is confirmed to play the new companion. It either be solved by the fact that she plays a different character or, you know, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey stuff!
Well, they did it before with Freema Agyemen, but she played only a minor role in one episode before she was Martha. And Karen Gillan was in `The Fires of Pompeii`, but once again, minor character.
But Oswin was pretty central in this episode, so I will be interested as to how they do it.

OT-
Some things I liked about this episode, other things I didn't.
Yes, Moffat, we get it. Love is magical. More aliens please.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I thought it was average at best. Enjoyed the twist but wasnt really gripped by the episode. Getting scared of Daleks who had no weapons and rarely woke up seemed a bit rubbish, really.

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
Snip

Now onto my barrage of questions:
How did these Daleks survive the Time War?
How did the Daleks capture Amy/Rory onto their ship from Earth? (Sure they were KO'd but someone would have seen the ship)
Why were the Daleks afraid of entering the Asylum?
Why were the Daleks in the Asylum still in their armour?
How did Dalek-Oswin still think she was human?
Why would a Dalek have access to deleting memories for the ENTIRE Dalek race?
Why create an Asylum planet if they're just going to blow it up?
Why haven't the Daleks been shown blowing up whole planets before?
Why does a Dalek have access to classical music? (From EARTH nonetheless)
Why did The Doctor hear Oswin as a human through the intercoms despite being a Dalek?

And I'll stop now before my head explodes...
I'm no dedicated who geek but I'll try my best.

They didn't survive the time war. These are new darleks from the Matt Smith episode a while back which ended with a new race of darleks being created. I think it was the world war 2 episodes. The Darleks in the asylum were still there because of the shield surrounding the planet and that most people didn't know it really existed or where it was. The doctor had only heard of it as a rumor as he mentioned early on.

I don't know. Presumably they teleported them to the ship, hence why it wasn't seen.

Again i'm not sure, but I think it was a combination of fear and awe. Fear because these darleks are crazy and and unpredictable. Would you be scared if a madman rushed at you with a katana? Add onto this that the darleks have a semi hive mind and the fear of seing something they should trust and be familier with acting crazy would be even greater. Awe because, to darleks, these creatures are the most beautiful specimens of there species. If there beautiful enough to make the darleks go to no small trouble to keep them alive instead of execution, then they probably wouldn't want to be in a position where they have to kill one in self defense.

I don't know enough about darleks to be sure but I think they require life support so the armor would help keep them alive. Also, if anything did get onto the planet, what better way to defend it than to give the crazy inmates weapons to slaughter intruders with.

She was human to begin with. The darleks value intelligence and she was a very intelligent human so they preformed a full conversion in order to use her mind fully. Putting her into a dream like state where she thought she was human was probably a measure to avoid damaging her mentally. It didn't happen to other conversions because there minds weren't important. They were re-written.

As a darlek, she had access to the computerized hive mind of the darleks. She didn't have acess to delete the data, but she used her intelligence to hack into the database and remove it.

The Assylum was there to preserve the most beautiful darleks where they couldn't harm other darleks or any war plans (due to being unpredictable). The crashed spaceship ment that the assylum darleks could potentially escape. Destorying the planet was the only guaranteed way to stop that. They didn't want the escaping darleks to attack them.

No Idea. It's not really there style.

The music was from Oswins human memories. As she was living in a dream partially produced from those memories, it could be in her dream.

Again no idea. Could have something to do with the different types of speaker in the intercom and darlek body. Both received sound directly from her mind (The Darlek body didn't have to speak into a microphone).

Hope this helps. I may be mistaken on a few points though.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I really liked the premise of the episode, but I think it was horribly framed with the whole Dalek parliament thing. It probably would've worked much better part way into the series, so they didn't have to cram the Rory/Amy stuff in there as well. You know, say that the Tardis just turns up on the Asylum and they explore and the Doctor explains from there. Throwing the Dalek Empire into there as well made the whole thing seem overly crowded and plot-holey. Plus all those Daleks screaming "Doctor who?", because of course the Daleks are renowned for asking questions and shooting second when they meet a creature they don't understand.

Oh, and is it ever clarified whether the Doctor was just bullshitting about all the "power of love" stuff in order to get Rory and Amy back together? I think Oswin actually mentions it at some point and if so it's kind of stupid. Otherwise I'd rather just believe that the Doctor was making it up in order to manipulate them.

Captcha: Pond Life. I see what you did there, captcha.

TheTechnomancer said:
I mainly agree with this guys summary, solutions and answers.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
In 1990 (or thereabouts) I wrote a fan-fiction where Ace was shot and mortally wounded, and could only be saved by transplanting her brain into a Dalek casing. The Doctor then ran about with a female Dalek for a companion.

Damn you Steven Moffat! You owe me for Copyright Infringement!

[sub]I kid about the copyright infringement. Not about the fan-fiction. I really did write the story of the Doctor and Ace, the Dalek. I also had a character strikingly similar to Dalek Sek, except that he A) stayed in a Dalek case and B) joined the Doctor as a companion so that he could C) have a weird Dalek romance with Dalek Ace. In the early 90s.[/sub]