Doctor Who Season 7: Episode 1 - Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
So the first episode of the new series has started, what did everyone think of it?

I personally thought it was quite good, although I was expecting the girl to be the new companion for later on so erm... THAT was a surprise.

The drama between Rory and Amy I felt was kinda forced however, just because she couldn't have a child she kicked him out? What.

Also kinda sucks the Daleks no longer remember the Doctor... I want them to be angry at him!

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Yeah I was kind of wondering how all of those Daleks survived the Time War but I guess the Season 5 finale retconned their extinction, it feels kind of cheap and now all they need are the Time Lords to return and the Time War will have been officially pointless.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
I thought that the twist with regard "the girl" was brilliant, but I am somewhat confused as to why Rory and Amy are still travelling with the Doctor. Bearing in mind the last episode of Doctor Who I watched was the one where the blue head kept asking "Doctor who?", so i'm not sure if i've missed something, but I thought the whole point of that episode was to draw a line to the Doctor's adventures with Amy and Rory and that he would be going off to do his own thing.

The only reason I can see for having Amy and Rory still being on the show, if my recollection is correct, is that this is supposedly the last series of Doctor Who with Matt Smith in it. But other than this question, I found the episode to be quite enjoyable.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I thought it was not only one of the most awful episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen but also one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen.

It was poorly written, "surprises" shoehorned in anywhere there happened to be a bit of downtime and incredible amounts of retcon work with a complete lack of regard to any established lore about anything.

Not to mention the sheer ridiculousness of half the things that happened. Both I and a large group of friends who have always loved Doctor Who are extremely annoyed by this start to the season.

But then we knew it would devolve once Moffat took control.

Mediamania

Sep 1, 2012
U clearly didnt see the christmas episode where he went back to them for christmas, nor did u watch the pond life prequels!

CaptainTrilby

Jun 3, 2011
Tallim said:
I thought it was not only one of the most awful episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen but also one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen.

It was poorly written, "surprises" shoehorned in anywhere there happened to be a bit of downtime and incredible amounts of retcon work with a complete lack of regard to any established lore about anything.

Not to mention the sheer ridiculousness of half the things that happened. Both I and a large group of friends who have always loved Doctor Who are extremely annoyed by this start to the season.

But then we knew it would devolve once Moffat took control.
This. Just the line 'They are subtracting love' summed up the absolute nonsense of this episode.. Moffat can't write Doctor Who. At all.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
I loved the whole episode apart form the "subtract love" thing. That was just silly.

But the twist was really great and I loved the idea of insane daleks.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Christ. When they talked about how smart Oswin was, and when he looked surprised when he first saw 'her', I was was worried that she was going to turn out to be River, Mary Sue extraordinaire!

Regarding the episode, I thought it was okay; 6/10, not great, but there have been worse Dalek episodes in the past.

WHAT I LIKED:
Jenna-Louise Colman seems like a very likeable actress, and I think she'll make a good companion.
I think that the evolution of the Amy/Rory relationship was handled pretty well.
I greatly enjoyed Matt Smiths performance in this episode.

WHAT I DISLIKED:
They lied in the promotional materials. I was hoping that the old Daleks; especially the Special Weapons Dalek, would be more than scenery pieces. Alas, my wish went unfulfilled.
I don't like how all the Daleks forgot about the Doctor. The rivalry just seems ridiculously one-sided now.
I don't think that Moffat writes Daleks well enough.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Mediamania said:
U clearly didnt see the christmas episode where he went back to them for christmas, nor did u watch the pond life prequels!
Oh I saw them, but this seperation between them still seems forced. Suddenly out of nowhere they breakdown their marriage.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I really didn't like this episode.
Oswin was annoying to Mary Sue levels, Amy Pond became even more of an unlikable **** (somehow) and the ending, OH the ending!

Forgetting the frequent shouting of "Doctor Who!" (which just pisses me off in this show) and the twist involving Oswin (which was good, but not enough to make me forgive my previous hatred). Why the hell did they remove all memory of The Doctor from the Daleks? So he could escape slow, mentally regressed Daleks with no guns? Was it really worth removing decades of history over something The Doctor could have simply done a forward roll to avoid? Now it seems they don't hate The Doctor because he slaughtered them in their millions but more because he's just some twat that popped out of a TARDIS and called them "Suckers!"

Now onto my barrage of questions:
How did these Daleks survive the Time War?
How did the Daleks capture Amy/Rory onto their ship from Earth? (Sure they were KO'd but someone would have seen the ship)
Why were the Daleks afraid of entering the Asylum?
Why were the Daleks in the Asylum still in their armour?
How did Dalek-Oswin still think she was human?
Why would a Dalek have access to deleting memories for the ENTIRE Dalek race?
Why create an Asylum planet if they're just going to blow it up?
Why haven't the Daleks been shown blowing up whole planets before?
Why does a Dalek have access to classical music? (From EARTH nonetheless)
Why did The Doctor hear Oswin as a human through the intercoms despite being a Dalek?

And I'll stop now before my head explodes...

EDIT:
Ok, my questions have been answered. You can stop quoting me now M'kay?

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Having gone through the dialogue at the end of "Wedding of River Song", the line that led me to believe that Amy and Rory would no longer be appearing in Doctor Who was when the Doctor stated that his perceived death would allow people to forget him, because he had gotten big. Now, I know this is a minor grievance compared to the other points made, but if the Doctor wanted to be forgotten, why did he go back for Rory and Amy in the Christmas special and why is he popping up in Skarro(?), when (assuming the Daleks heard) he wanted everyone to think he was dead?.

Eh, i'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill again...

MortifiedPenguin

Not So Despicable
Jun 8, 2012
I thought it was an entertaining one, the twist at the end was pretty good, if not a bit obvious. And the whole thing with Amy and Rory's marriage on the rocks did seem a bit forced, even with the Pond Life questions.

What I wonder is how they'll bring back Oswin, isn't she supposed to be the new companion?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
MortifiedPenguin said:
What I wonder is how they'll bring back Oswin, isn't she supposed to be the new companion?
I think that this characters first name was Oswin, and the companions last name is Oswin, so maybe there's a relation.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Well I am done. I have been steadly losing interest since Moffat took over and this episode has killed any interest I had left. The twist was predictable, their was no explanation as to how the older Daleks still exsisted,(then again with the Daleks back it has made the sacrifice of the Time Lord's pointless which is a bit sad) and now they do not know who he is?

I think that since the revivle of the show The Doctor has been a bit too well known by his enemies but making the Daleks no longer know who he take's something away from both them and The Doctor, at least for me.

And Amy and Rory still piss me off more than anything else I have ever encontered in my life. Really hoping they die (and it sticks).

Still could have been worse. River bloody Song could have been in it.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
I really didn't like this episode.
Oswin was annoying to Mary Sue levels, Amy Pond became even more of an unlikable **** (somehow) and the ending, OH the ending!

Forgetting the frequent shouting of "Doctor Who!" (which just pisses me off in this show) and the twist involving Oswin (which was good, but not enough to make me forgive my previous hatred). Why the hell did they remove all memory of The Doctor from the Daleks? So he could escape slow, mentally regressed Daleks with no guns? Was it really worth removing decades of history over something The Doctor could have simply done a forward roll to avoid? Now it seems they don't hate The Doctor because he slaughtered them in their millions but more because he's just some twat that popped out of a TARDIS and called them "Suckers!"

Now onto my barrage of questions:
How did these Daleks survive the Time War?
How did the Daleks capture Amy/Rory onto their ship from Earth? (Sure they were KO'd but someone would have seen the ship)
Why were the Daleks afraid of entering the Asylum?
Why were the Daleks in the Asylum still in their armour?
How did Dalek-Oswin still think she was human?
Why would a Dalek have access to deleting memories for the ENTIRE Dalek race?
Why create an Asylum planet if they're just going to blow it up?
Why haven't the Daleks been showing blowing up whole planets before?
Why does a Dalek have access to classical music? (From EARTH nonetheless)
Why did The Doctor hear Oswin as a human through the intercoms despite being a Dalek?

And I'll stop now before my head explodes...
I think these ones were the ones we saw before back in the WW2 episode, they must have reproduced or something.
I think Oswin as a particular Dalek was chosen because she was a genius, so that is why she could delete the entire memory of the Daleks. Plus, she had access.

That's all I can answer I think.

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
It's nice to see Moffat keeping up the typical quality set in series 6....so on average every 2-3 minutes I'm either asking a question which the episode will never answer/explain or pointing out a plot hole. Also worst name dropping of the shows title since...well the end of last series but it was still pretty painful. Sigh overall the plot progression just seemed so forced to try and push the plot forward so it could reach the 'reveal' (which I half guessed anyway thinking she was one of the humanoid dalek drone things). On a positive it was good to see well designed Daleks as those things Moffat introduced back in victory of the Daleks still make me facepalm.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Flamezdudes said:
I think these ones were the ones we saw before back in the WW2 episode, they must have reproduced or something.
SEXY DALEK TIMES WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME IMAGINE SUCH THINGS

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
Flamezdudes said:
SEXY DALEK TIMES WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME IMAGINE SUCH THINGS
Because you want to, you know you do. Sexy, sexy Dalek's with their plummer... things.

MortifiedPenguin

Not So Despicable
Jun 8, 2012
Froggy Slayer said:
MortifiedPenguin said:
I think that this characters first name was Oswin, and the companions last name is Oswin, so maybe there's a relation.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it was same actress who was named to play the new companion, that played Oswin. It'll probably just end up they brought her back through some timey-wimey magic.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
MortifiedPenguin said:
Froggy Slayer said:
MortifiedPenguin said:
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that it was same actress who was named to play the new companion, that played Oswin. It'll probably just end up they brought her back through some timey-wimey magic.
I know that it's the same actress. Freema Agyeman played Martha Jones and her cousin. Hell, Karen Gillian played one of the priestesses in the Rome episode before she played Amy.