Doctor Who Season 9 Prologue Keeps Things Mysterious

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Doctor Who Season 9 Prologue Keeps Things Mysterious

The new Doctor Who is entering it's ninth season on Sept. 19, and what's a new season without a tease to get us talking and speculating.

OK, I'll admit that it has taken awhile for Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor to grow on me as the supposed last regeneration of Doctor Who. I like both Matt Smith and David Tennant better, but I digress. Capaldi enters his second season as Doctor Who, the ninth overall [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141509-Doctor-Who-Series-9-Trailer-Has-Peter-Capaldi-Jenna-Coleman-And-Maisie-Wiliams] for the latest reincarnation of the really old franchise. And to tease the new season, we get a cryptic prologue set on the Planet Karn.

The last time we saw this planet was in the mini-episode "Night of the Doctor," where we were introduced to the Doctor without a number, John Hurt, after he takes over for #8 Paul McGann. We see Capaldi talking to Ohila, one of the sisters of Karn. They chat about a meeting that the Doctor has been invited to by an enemy. We also see him give her his Last Will and Testament (see the Season 9 trailer below) before he goes off to meditate before leaving. Ohila leaves him with a final thought that he can't hide from his friends.

OK, in the two teaser trailers below, we see numerous old enemies of the Doctor, including the exterminate-happy Daleks and the red suckerfolk Zygons and even Missy, the female incarnation of The Master. We know that Missy somehow gets hold of the Will given to Ohila. And why isn't Clara in the prologue? Everything else is a bit of a mystery, but of course, that's what good teasers do.

So let's indulge a little bit. What do you think it all means? What tidbits can you pull from the prologue and the teasers to the Season 9 premiere "The Magician's Apprentice" that give a clue about what we will see? Take it to the comments, folks.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/extras/video-season-9-prologue/]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
To be honest, the fact that Clara is back despite the fact that the previous series ended with her being written out of the series quite well and the fact that the whole series was overall pretty shit and part of an overall downward spiral which has been happening for the past 5 or so series, I'm out. I'm done with it. Until someone tells me otherwise, the show is dead to me now, it ended when Moffit became the showrunner.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Huh. That was actually pretty good.

Course there's still the issue of Moffat being the showrunner, but hey, take what victories you can get I suppose.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
John Keefer said:
OK, I'll admit that it has taken awhile for Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor to grow on me as the supposed last regeneration of Doctor Who.
Incorrect there, the Doctor was granted a new regeneration cycle in Matt Smith's last episode "The Time of the Doctor", otherwise Doctor Who would have ended right there with Smith's regeneration being the last.

As for the new season... I probably won't bother to keep track of it, but I'll watch it at some point after all the episodes air.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Isn't it weird that I hardly remember anything from the later Matt Smith episodes, other than enjoying them? That's totally not a jab at the Silence, btw, I legitimately just don't remember much.
On the other hand, I haven't followed any social media feedback, like, at all on Dr.Who, so I'm always amazed at how much people are upset about the show.

I'll watch it, I guess, when I find it somewhere. I like Capaldi so far.
I just feel that Clara's arc should end by now. And hey, maybe it will. Many scenes in the trailers only have the doctor, so maybe she leaves halfway through and they don't want to spoil a new companion.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
SomeLameStuff said:
John Keefer said:
OK, I'll admit that it has taken awhile for Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor to grow on me as the supposed last regeneration of Doctor Who.
Incorrect there, the Doctor was granted a new regeneration cycle in Matt Smith's last episode "The Time of the Doctor", otherwise Doctor Who would have ended right there with Smith's regeneration being the last.
Yes, I know. Capaldi technically should not exist as a new doctor. That's one of the reasons that I used "supposedly last." They can write whatever they want to get around the 12 regens. Unless I am mistaken, Capaldi should be #13 if the Ward Doctor had a number.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
John Keefer said:
Yes, I know. Capaldi technically should not exist as a new doctor. That's one of the reasons that I used "supposedly last." They can write whatever they want to get around the 12 regens. Unless I am mistaken, Capaldi should be #13 if the Ward Doctor had a number.
There was the War Doctor, Nine, Ten, Ten.5 (the Metacrisis Doctor), and Eleven. Matt Smith was #13, and he actually explains this in his final (full) appearance, the Time of the Doctor. That's the only reason the Time Lords needed to step in.

OT: Cool. Though I preferred the "Night of the Doctor" banter with the sisters of Karn to this, it's still a nice lead-in.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Zontar said:
To be honest, the fact that Clara is back despite the fact that the previous series ended with her being written out of the series quite well and the fact that the whole series was overall pretty shit and part of an overall downward spiral which has been happening for the past 5 or so series, I'm out. I'm done with it. Until someone tells me otherwise, the show is dead to me now, it ended when Moffit became the showrunner.
Pretty much this. Moffat can fuck off and stop ruining Who

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Was that the seal of Rassilon he handed off to the sister?

I'm sure I've seen another trailer that refers to a disk like device or object as his last will and testament, though passing that on could be interpreted as such a thing.

Just find myself wondering if that's less an attempt at resolving final business and more a way of luring out the help he's going to need.

I do like Capaldi as the doctor.
Not to say I didn't like Smith and Tennent.
They were spectacular and left me wanting more.
Capaldi has a delivery and demeanour that, while certainly his own, would have fit shoulder to shoulder with some of the earliest doctors.
Also knowing the life long love Capaldi has for the show it's been nice seeing what must be someone in their very literal dream role.