Doctor Who Takes a Breather Before the Finale

harpere

May 20, 2014
Doctor Who Takes a Breather Before the Finale

This week's episode is pure filler, but filler can be fun too.

Read Full Article

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
I must say that Clara and the PE teacher have been ruining what would otherwise be an amazing season of Doctor Who. Them as a couple and individually, they drive me nuts. Simply in the way they treat the Doctor, it almost feels like hatred for a being that has done far more good than anything else in his absurdly long life. Hell #11 did far more for Clara than she really deserves... Perhaps her send off will have her become the villain I feel she is.

I guess on topic of the episode. I feel it is deplorable that Clara decides everyone should go home to die. Honestly it makes me sick. Although the Doctor may do something like this, I think he's often done so much to that point that he gets a big pass. Clara does nothing, she used to be cute, inquisitive and adventurous. Now she's just along for the ride on a mega period, and for some reason believes it's better for people to die than to spend anytime with the Doctor.

The crux of my problem really is that if you don't want to be on an adventure through time and space. Well, you don't deserve to be there. So please everybody at the BBC, please have Clara stop pooping on my party. Pretty please could the Doctor go on an adventure through time and space where the main plot point is the adventure. Not how a young woman is feeling that particular day about her relationship issues and how Doctor Grumpy Gus is speaking to her... I may be in the minority here, but I don't watch a show like Doctor Who hoping for a 10-20 min section devoted to weird quirky British romance. Though I certainly get it more than I'd like.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It was a fun little episode even if there was a little too much Danny in it. It was funny when the entire class got in the TARDIS and started playing with everything and The Doctor was going nuts. "Don't touch that!" It was also funny when the kid's don't react to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside. "An entire forest grew up overnight, nothing surprises us anymore."
ShaqLevick said:
Perhaps her send off will have her become the villain I feel she is.
Judging by the trailer for next week's episode, that could be just what happens.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I think it would have been a mediocre episode if it weren't for the annoying kids and Captain Boring (Clara's Boyfriend) simply made it a bad episode.

Something else that annoyed me abit was the Doctor's throw away line about the downside of being the last Time Lord was that he could not ask them for help as to why the Tardis was not working. I know it was just ment as a laugh but it is a problem I have had all this series. The Doctor spent 400 years regreting killing his people, he then spends 900 years protecting them from the rest of the universe using the last reamining years of his life only for them to reward him with a new regeneration cycle and he does nothing. There has not been even a hint that he has been trying to find a way to bring them back despite the fact he knows they are out there.

This whole series has been a big letdown for me. A great new Doctor cursed with a companion who gets too much of the focus and some bad writing.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
First things first.
A big thumbs up for the Art director for this episode.
London as a forest lookt great.

Indeed, you have to ignore the science a bit on this one (even though it's always a bit wibbely wobbely).
An increased magnetic field would would make more sense, but that probably wouldn't give us this nice forest.
So gladly give them this one.

I must agree that Clara was a bit too O.K. with the entire earth being destroyed and not saving the kids and her self.
And maybe the Doctor left a bit too easy (but that's not entirely outside his character).

Just realized that the Doctor had noting to do with the solution of this week's problem, but only was the first one to realize that the tree's weren't the problem, but the solution.

only that they only glazed over the fact that the girl was asking for the Doctor was bugging me a bit.
At first you think Clara send her, turns out not to be the case (hm, ok so who did)
Then they think it were the light dot's, but if so i would have expected the conversation with them when they speak trough the girl to go somewhat different.

And lastly
Is it just me or do others find the "next week" clip on the end of the episode often a bit to revealing.
It lookt like they showed some major plot points.(forums ask spoiler tags for less)
Or maybe they edit the clip in a way so they can trow a curve ball at you in the actual episode.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
An entire -season- of filler, more like.

No, really, what plot have we even progressed throughout all these episodes? It doesn't take an entire season to introduce the fact that the Doctor is grumpy this time around.

Also, don't tell me that the mystery lady and all the dead people will be the payoff of it all, cuz I know BBC is too SAFE to make it anything more than a punchline when the finale ends. Another victory or failure for the mighty Doctor to ponder away in his checklist of reasons to stop being grumpy.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
This is a pretty horrible episode. I mean I can usually suspend my disbelief enough to have fantastic things happen with pseudoscientific babble filling the gaps, but anyone with a basic knowledge of how our atmosphere is comprised and how solar flares work know that the entire premise of this episode is bullshit. The ultracrontrivance at the end with the big sister appearing out of nowhere was the nut punch. This season has been supremely disappointing from a writing perspective, the finale had better fix that.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I'll just quote what I posted in another thread

Just finished watching it and it was.... meh

I mean, sure I enjoyed it. But the kids kinda irritated me through out the episode. I actually thought they we're going to go humanity burns today route just to show the Doctor cant do everything (Or something of the sort) but nope! TREEEEE POWAAAA! Happy endings for everyone.

So far not a single episode has kept me intrigued like the LISTENING episode.
At least the next episode seems interesting and darker.

I'd give this a 2/5 :l
I have really nothing else to add other than this whole season with the exeption of a single episode felt like a giant filler and just... bland.

Next week's episode looks exciting though, so there's that.
Also Pinky is slighty starting to annoy me, the whole concept of "of course you can no worries" then "you were with him werent you" just really makes me want to yell at Clara to just TELL him what you want to do! Jeez.

So again. 2/5

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
ShaqLevick said:
The crux of my problem really is that if you don't want to be on an adventure through time and space. Well, you don't deserve to be there. So please everybody at the BBC, please have Clara stop pooping on my party. Pretty please could the Doctor go on an adventure through time and space where the main plot point is the adventure. Not how a young woman is feeling that particular day about her relationship issues and how Doctor Grumpy Gus is speaking to her... I may be in the minority here, but I don't watch a show like Doctor Who hoping for a 10-20 min section devoted to weird quirky British romance. Though I certainly get it more than I'd like.
Given me and my friends have complained quite a bit about the show being too focused on the Companions and their personal life rather then that "Doctor Bloke" and the adventures through time and space...no, you're not.

It's really starting to bug me how they're focusing a bit too much on the personal life of the Companion and essentially making them the center of the universe. Hell, I actually used to like Clara until this season came along.

Seriously guys, it's not that hard: Adventures in TIME and SPACE.

If you wanna write about relationships and romance, go get a job on fucking EastEnders or some other soap.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
The idea that mankind has an inherent fear of the primeval forest was totally undermined by the way the cast are trekking through some bright sunny woods looking like they're having a great time. It's got me wondering if this episode was originally supposed to be filmed at night?

A night shoot would have helped to obscure the lack of houses or cars or anything city related in the woods bar the odd set of railings or traffic island. A night setting would also explain why all the Londoners were staying indoors.

Feb 28, 2008
For me it had the same problems as the Moon episode earlier in the series. Both got bogged under by this tedious moral sentiment and a lack of any kind of meaningful resolution. Both feature the Doctor playing zero part in what the audience anticipates will be a major trial, but which turns out to require no input whatsoever. It's filler, but even with that moniker it could have contributed more to the series as a whole. For instance, why can't Missy get the teeniest bit more of a feature? To intrigue me I need to have something to go on, but at the moment that character and her purpose in the series is so mystifying that I haven't ever really been able to care.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Gizmo1990 said:
Something else that annoyed me abit was the Doctor's throw away line about the downside of being the last Time Lord was that he could not ask them for help as to why the Tardis was not working. I know it was just ment as a laugh but it is a problem I have had all this series. The Doctor spent 400 years regreting killing his people, he then spends 900 years protecting them from the rest of the universe using the last reamining years of his life only for them to reward him with a new regeneration cycle and he does nothing. There has not been even a hint that he has been trying to find a way to bring them back despite the fact he knows they are out there.
"Last of his kind not currently stuck in a lost time loop."

Kind of like knowing tech support is out there, but all the phone lines are busy. You still can't get your problem resolved...

But yes, I would have liked some kind of hint dropped that he was at least looking for them as a side project.

Captcha is referencing the wrong Square. It should be Trafalgar, not Times!

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Maybe it was because I was in a particularly foul mood when I watched this episode, but I absolutely hated it.

"Hey kids, stop taking your pills, the fictional space Doctor knows what's good for you and that's listening to the voices in your head!"

"Hey, don't chop down those trees, you big meanies! Sure, you almost certainly need to in order to guarantee the delivery of food, medicine, and all the other stuff that people need to, y'know, survive, but I'm sure that can wait."

"Gosh, where did all these trees come from? Did they grow overnight? It sure is a pity that literally no one on the planet was awake during the last eight hours to see what happened! Oh well, we probably wouldn't be able to communicate with them anyway, it's not like the phone lines are still completely operational or anything."

Ugggghhhh...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
STOP WITH THE FUCKING CHILD ACTORS.
It was fucking awful, and they were the maggot-infested cherry on this pile of steaming shit.
Was Doctor Who always this shit?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
ShaqLevick said:
Please don't let this be your example of British romance. Because it's fucking painful.

But yes, I will be very glad when Clara goes bye bye at this point, her and captain boring are just fucking awful. Especially Danny, he's physically draining in every scene he's in.

The strange thing is, that just prior to Clara, they had Amy and Rory, whom they didn't decide to eat away at entire episodes worth of content with their relatonship.
Alpha Maeko said:
An entire -season- of filler, more like.

No, really, what plot have we even progressed throughout all these episodes? It doesn't take an entire season to introduce the fact that the Doctor is grumpy this time around.

Also, don't tell me that the mystery lady and all the dead people will be the payoff of it all, cuz I know BBC is too SAFE to make it anything more than a punchline when the finale ends. Another victory or failure for the mighty Doctor to ponder away in his checklist of reasons to stop being grumpy.
Yeah this season has been pretty dire. I mean, I /like/ Capaldi as the Doctor, but the episodes have been so naff. I liked the episode where they chased the possibly non-existant invisible monsters, and Robin Hood being a total cock was enjoyable, but otherwise, I can barely remember any of this season. Which is made even more frustrating by the fact that the Missy storyline is much more interesting a premise, yet we never get to see bugger all of it. Granted, it'll likely be a massive letdown with the way things are. God damn you Moffat. Go back to writing single episodes, let someone else take over for fuck sake.