Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock Review

Stryc9

New member
Nov 12, 2008
1,294
0
0
Well, that's unfortunate. It's not even like they had to rush to meet a certain date, like say the premiere of the new season\series whatever you want to call it. In a way I was kind of looking forward to this. I saw a preview video for it a while back, I think on here, that actually looked like it would be a fun game but if the controls are as horrible as they sound I won't bother.
 

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
5,237
0
0
Ouch. Haven't seen a review score that low in awhile. I was kind of looking into playing it, but remained definitely skeptical, what with the Doctor being significantly more fun to watch than control. Bullet dodged, I guess. Thanks, Susan.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
Judging by the trailers, I was guessing that the platforming was going to be the lead weight. Seems it's quite a heavy lead weight :(
 

PhunkyPhazon

New member
Dec 23, 2009
1,967
0
0
Funny enough, as a new Doctor Who fan, I just finished playing those free adventure games from a couple years back. For a free download, it was alright, but certainly not anything I would ever consider paying for.

But if Doctor Who is ever going to work as a game, then it does need to stick to the adventure genre. No platforming, crate puzzles, or silly stealth sections (All of which were also present in the "adventure" games). Just give the reins over to someone like Telltale and let them do their thing.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Part of the problem is, frankly, the price. Twenty dollars? For this? absolutely criminal. It's not that the game is unpolished (I don't believe it was rushed), it's just poorly done.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
Susan Arendt said:
Part of the problem is, frankly, the price. Twenty dollars? For this? absolutely criminal. It's not that the game is unpolished (I don't believe it was rushed), it's just poorly done.
I'd say poorly done is worse than rushed. Either is bad but at least if a game is rushed you can say "Oh but if they had more time...". Poorly done leaves little room for excuses.
 

Kurt Cristal

New member
Mar 31, 2010
438
0
0
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
Kurt Cristal said:
Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
I hate you. Erase that damn episode from existence!
 

bluepotatosack

New member
Mar 17, 2011
499
0
0
I had so completely erased that episode from my mind that I had to look it up.

That may have been a mistake.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.
 

Rainboq

New member
Nov 19, 2009
16,620
0
0
TimeLord said:
Kurt Cristal said:
Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
I hate you. Erase that damn episode from existence!
And here I was, hoping to just forget all about that.
Susan Arendt said:
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.
Agreed. Love and Monsters had... Some londoner and generic rock...
 

Erja_Perttu

New member
May 6, 2009
1,847
0
0
PhunkyPhazon said:
Just give the reins over to someone like Telltale and let them do their thing.
Now there's a version of a Doctor Who game that I'd play, I loved what they did with the Back to the Future games.

Shame about the low score, I was looking forward to it - guess I'll just go over the free ones again, as they seem to be on par.
 

Vegan_Doodler

New member
May 29, 2011
201
0
0
I had nothing to do with this game and I still feel bad because I remember Susan saying she was exited about it. I do get why it would be hard to make a DrWho game (an action game about a guy who refuses to be violent) but seeing as they didn't have to realise it in time for anything there's no excuse for it being this bad, and it raises the question as to why they even bothered making it in the first place.
 

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
5,498
1
3
Country
United States
Looks like that small part of me that thought the platforming looked like crap in the trailers was right, and I was really hoping this would be good.

And "Curse of the Black Spot" was....odd. I've seen it twice and I still have no idea how anyone thought that that was a good idea.
 

UnderGlass

New member
Jan 12, 2012
210
0
0
Curse of the Black Spot was slow and predictable but it wasn't that bad.
Immortal privateer father & son sail off into the nebula to be interdimensional space pirates!
Which earns a 7/10 on the UnderGlass Awesome scale. Its biggest issue was following the incredible opening episodes for the season.

And come on- Love and Monsters? The idea of a Doctor Who witness support group is hilarious!
 

Suicidejim

New member
Jul 1, 2011
593
0
0
I wanted my predictions about this to be wrong, so badly. But sadly I was right. Doctor Who isn't exactly a good fit for videogames in my opinion. The best you could manage would be an adventure game, I suppose, but considering the Doctor usually wins via a combination of deus ex machina and science fantasy technobabble, I'm not sure how you'd expect a regular human with no knowledge of the inner workings of a Dalek warship to succeed.

And Curse of the Black Spot was pretty bad, but almost worth it for the space pirate bit at the end. You don't mess with space pirates.

EDIT: With the exception of Samus Aran, obviously.
 

La Kias

New member
May 31, 2012
22
0
0
I disagree, Doctor Who has a great universe for games, they are just implemented so badly. They are choosing to form new questions and push current show issues when the fact is there are a lot of unanswered questions from the gap between the 1996 movie and the 2005 reboot. The Time War could make an excellent game. The universe has plenty of lore but the BBC seem unwilling to implement it in order to keep the games to a child-friendly level.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
In all honestly, the only kind of gameplay that makes sense is for it to be a point and click adventure (ala Telltale games). Any other gameplay style will never fit in. And it should not be mimicking the show or working within the confines of the show at all, but it should happen in the universe. There was no way this was going to be good.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.

you.

fire.

die.

NOW.

Jesus that episode was horrible.

You are horrible for bringing it back up.

OT: SHAME. All I can say, Doctor Who probably wont ever get an actual game built around the universe, but in the slim chance it does, it needs the actual writes of the series to write it and direct how the game plays out.

I mean, can you imagine a stealth section where you are going against Weeping Angels?

It should be an Adventure game like the series.

Just..... make sure Rory doesn't bite it in every episode, it got annoying very quickly.
 

PhunkyPhazon

New member
Dec 23, 2009
1,967
0
0
Vegan_Doodler said:
I had nothing to do with this game and I still feel bad because I remember Susan saying she was exited about it. I do get why it would be hard to make a DrWho game (an action game about a guy who refuses to be violent) but seeing as they didn't have to realise it in time for anything there's no excuse for it being this bad, and it raises the question as to why they even bothered making it in the first place.
See, that is EXACTLY why I think a Doctor Who game needs to be an adventure title. The Doctor isn't an action here, he's a guy with a screwdriver and a sharp intellect. It's really the only genre that the franchise is suited for.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.
Love and Monsters is the only Tennant episode I skip. Well, its a Doctor-lite ep. He's barely in it.

I thought it was going to be a free game. I know it's the Doctor and all, which means he's supposed to be violence free. But, there's only so many contrived circumstances you can put puzzles in to solve a crisis, and after a while it gets boring.
 

Vegan_Doodler

New member
May 29, 2011
201
0
0
La Kias said:
The Time War could make an excellent game.
Actually that could work, they wouldn't have to try and tie into any current cannon and as a result the story could carry a lot more weight. The gameplay could be a lot more action oriented seeing as we already know the the Doctor was a soldier and that he got up to some pretty nasty stuff. There could be a slew of new characters and creatures, and the doctor wouldn't nesaseraly need a companion and thus the game wouldn't be an extended escort mission or protect the NPC mission.
 

Piorn

New member
Dec 26, 2007
1,097
0
0
When I think of a Dr.Who game, I'd combine Portal and Containment Breach and work from there.
 

IRBaboon

New member
Aug 29, 2009
33
0
0
I think a Dr Who game could work if it was based more around the universe than the Dr. himself, I'm thinking like an episodic game where you play a short segment of a characters life in relationship to a big event. Dr who baddies have this thing where they usually have one good guy among them, in the game you play that good guy and help the Dr. The game would involve the Dr. but you wouldn't be him
 

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
2,093
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock Review

It feels like an eternity, alright.

Read Full Article
Ahh, as soon as this game was released I was looking for a review from my favourite reviewer! I love Doctor Who but my first impression was how disappointing this game was. Not particularly bad, just disappointing. Matt Smith really shone, like you say, but everything else was just so dull. Such a missed opportunity.

I've read several reviews about this game and no one seems to mention the ending at all. I could be completely wrong but does it seem to you like the game just kind of stops before finishing the story? I was gearing up for one final epic battle and then... end credits. What gives?

Also, in one of the trailers where the developers spoke about the monsters they said they created two of their own. I only saw one of these new monsters. Or did I miss something there as well?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Proverbial Jon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock Review

It feels like an eternity, alright.

Read Full Article
Ahh, as soon as this game was released I was looking for a review from my favourite reviewer! I love Doctor Who but my first impression was how disappointing this game was. Not particularly bad, just disappointing. Matt Smith really shone, like you say, but everything else was just so dull. Such a missed opportunity.

I've read several reviews about this game and no one seems to mention the ending at all. I could be completely wrong but does it seem to you like the game just kind of stops before finishing the story? I was gearing up for one final epic battle and then... end credits. What gives?

Also, in one of the trailers where the developers spoke about the monsters they said they created two of their own. I only saw one of these new monsters. Or did I miss something there as well?
I didn't finish the game. It was so utterly dreary that I couldn't force myself to keep playing. I wanted to, actually, because I was genuinely curious to see where the story went, but the gameplay was just so bad that I finally got fed up and turned off my PS3 in disgust.
 

Trikeen

New member
Feb 17, 2009
293
0
0
All I've seen and heard of The Eternity Clock makes it all the more frustrating that the BBC shelved the adequate to quite good Adventure Game series to do this sort of thing. Hopefully they'll see this negative reaction and reverse that decision.
 

saintdane05

New member
Aug 2, 2011
1,849
0
0
Piorn said:
When I think of a Dr.Who game, I'd combine Portal and Containment Breach and work from there.
You're reminding me of Mazes in Time. Stop that, I want to keep my sanity.
 

mcnally86

New member
Apr 23, 2008
425
0
0
008Zulu said:
Susan Arendt said:
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.
Love and Monsters is the only Tennant episode I skip. Well, its a Doctor-lite ep. He's barely in it.

I thought it was going to be a free game. I know it's the Doctor and all, which means he's supposed to be violence free. But, there's only so many contrived circumstances you can put puzzles in to solve a crisis, and after a while it gets boring.
Why do people hate love and monsters? I liked it I thought it was important the way the show had these horrible cheesy monsters against regular joes. Sure the DR makes an absorbalfv seem silly and useless but it pretty much eats anyone when he isn't around.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
mcnally86 said:
Why do people hate love and monsters? I liked it I thought it was important the way the show had these horrible cheesy monsters against regular joes. Sure the DR makes an absorbalfv seem silly and useless but it pretty much eats anyone when he isn't around.
It doesn't add anything new or recurring to the overall Doctor Who story.
 

Dangit2019

New member
Aug 8, 2011
2,449
0
0
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
"Love and Monsters" was so interesting at first...but then they kept going to the guy randomly dancing to ELO for no reason, and then they tried to keep the love story going even though the interest was stuck in the ground (setting up the worst sex joke of all time). That has to be the worst episode I saw from the show.

I actually have only gotten to season 4 so far (I just got into the show on netflix), so I haven't seen Curse of the Black Spot. Tell me about its horribleness in advance, if you would be so kind.
 

Dangit2019

New member
Aug 8, 2011
2,449
0
0
saintdane05 said:
How come there has never been a good Doctor Who videogame? Like, ever?
Well, the whole show relies on the Doctor being this supremely smart being who can solve everything with techno-babble,wiring, and an advanced understanding of things humans don't usually know about. I can see how that would be hard to translate into an easily playable game, but turning the whole thing into a platformer? That's just kind of lazy.
 

La Kias

New member
May 31, 2012
22
0
0
Vegan_Doodler said:
La Kias said:
The Time War could make an excellent game.
Actually that could work, they wouldn't have to try and tie into any current cannon and as a result the story could carry a lot more weight. The gameplay could be a lot more action oriented seeing as we already know the the Doctor was a soldier and that he got up to some pretty nasty stuff. There could be a slew of new characters and creatures, and the doctor wouldn't nesaseraly need a companion and thus the game wouldn't be an extended escort mission or protect the NPC mission.
IRBaboon said:
I think a Dr Who game could work if it was based more around the universe than the Dr. himself, I'm thinking like an episodic game where you play a short segment of a characters life in relationship to a big event. Dr who baddies have this thing where they usually have one good guy among them, in the game you play that good guy and help the Dr. The game would involve the Dr. but you wouldn't be him
I'm going to be honest, I wrote it a few years back, a game idea for the time war in which the player takes control of a Time Lord agent other than the Doctor. The design would have seen a mixture of stealth, cover based shooting and jak 3 style abilities (with lore to back them up) that would see the agent fighting in the dying days of the time war. But of course the BBC don't take unsolicited ideas.

Since I have now finished my second year of a games design course and still, even now, it is an idea that I can see just works, and with the recent shake up at BBC worldwide, maybe its time, even as a fools errand, to give it another push.

the reason I made a point of mentioning lore here is because that was the best bit of eternity clock, River's diary, and its what all the other games don't have, it adds to the universe. The game itself gives nothing but that little set of collectibles was great. They don't seem to understad that the universe has too many unanswered questions that can and should be answered for those who want answers before they make new spin-off media. For example, that woman in the end of time, I'd like to think its Romana but at this rate we'll never know.
 

mcnally86

New member
Apr 23, 2008
425
0
0
008Zulu said:
mcnally86 said:
Why do people hate love and monsters? I liked it I thought it was important the way the show had these horrible cheesy monsters against regular joes. Sure the DR makes an absorbalfv seem silly and useless but it pretty much eats anyone when he isn't around.
It doesn't add anything new or recurring to the overall Doctor Who story.
Something has to be enjoyable? Anyway, the absorbaloft was new. And so where all the characters.

Something reoccurring is the fact that bad things happen to people who look for the DR.

So it does both.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
mcnally86 said:
Something has to be enjoyable? Anyway, the absorbaloft was new. And so where all the characters.

Something reoccurring is the fact that bad things happen to people who look for the DR.

So it does both.
Well yeah it has to be enjoyable. Otherwise, whats the point in watching it?
 

mcnally86

New member
Apr 23, 2008
425
0
0
008Zulu said:
mcnally86 said:
Something has to be enjoyable?
Well yeah it has to be enjoyable. Otherwise, whats the point in watching it?
Sorry I type that late at night. I ment to say, "it has to be have those things to be enjoyable?"

I don't think every new episode of a show has to introduce a new character or rule.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
mcnally86 said:
I don't think every new episode of a show has to introduce a new character or rule.
Since the new series isn't following the serialized format of the eps of old (half a dozen or so eps tied to make an overall story) and moved to the single ep story with an overall branching story for that particular series (not a fan of this as the "overall" story has very little attention paid to it, 3 or 4 out of 12 eps).

Love & Monsters doesn't feel as if its contributing to the overall theme established for Series 2, a lot of eps really don't add to their respective series, but the difference between those is that L & M doesn't feel like a Doctor Who episode.
 
May 5, 2010
4,831
0
0
I don't know why everyone hates "Black Spot" so much. It wasn't a GOOD episode or anything, but I have seen much, MUCH worse.

Anyway, yeah...That's pretty much exactly what I expected. Not much more to say about it.
 
May 5, 2010
4,831
0
0
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
I feel like I have to quote you just to demonstrate the power of that episode. It's like that part in Lord of the Rings when Gandalf says something in the Black Speech of Mordor and the sun goes dark. "Love and Monsters" is probably Black Speech for "Horribleness".