Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock Review

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Well, that's unfortunate. It's not even like they had to rush to meet a certain date, like say the premiere of the new season\series whatever you want to call it. In a way I was kind of looking forward to this. I saw a preview video for it a while back, I think on here, that actually looked like it would be a fun game but if the controls are as horrible as they sound I won't bother.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ouch. Haven't seen a review score that low in awhile. I was kind of looking into playing it, but remained definitely skeptical, what with the Doctor being significantly more fun to watch than control. Bullet dodged, I guess. Thanks, Susan.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Judging by the trailers, I was guessing that the platforming was going to be the lead weight. Seems it's quite a heavy lead weight :(

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Funny enough, as a new Doctor Who fan, I just finished playing those free adventure games from a couple years back. For a free download, it was alright, but certainly not anything I would ever consider paying for.

But if Doctor Who is ever going to work as a game, then it does need to stick to the adventure genre. No platforming, crate puzzles, or silly stealth sections (All of which were also present in the "adventure" games). Just give the reins over to someone like Telltale and let them do their thing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Part of the problem is, frankly, the price. Twenty dollars? For this? absolutely criminal. It's not that the game is unpolished (I don't believe it was rushed), it's just poorly done.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Part of the problem is, frankly, the price. Twenty dollars? For this? absolutely criminal. It's not that the game is unpolished (I don't believe it was rushed), it's just poorly done.
I'd say poorly done is worse than rushed. Either is bad but at least if a game is rushed you can say "Oh but if they had more time...". Poorly done leaves little room for excuses.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Kurt Cristal said:
Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
I hate you. Erase that damn episode from existence!

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I had so completely erased that episode from my mind that I had to look it up.

That may have been a mistake.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kurt Cristal said:
"Curse if the Black Spot" wasn't so bad. Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
Kurt Cristal said:
Anyone remember "Love and Monsters"? That sound is you cringing from me reminding you that that episode exists.
I hate you. Erase that damn episode from existence!
And here I was, hoping to just forget all about that.
Susan Arendt said:
Kurt Cristal said:
They're equally awful. Curse of the Black Spot does, at least, have Amy in pirate gear, which is worth a little something.
Agreed. Love and Monsters had... Some londoner and generic rock...

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
Just give the reins over to someone like Telltale and let them do their thing.
Now there's a version of a Doctor Who game that I'd play, I loved what they did with the Back to the Future games.

Shame about the low score, I was looking forward to it - guess I'll just go over the free ones again, as they seem to be on par.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
I had nothing to do with this game and I still feel bad because I remember Susan saying she was exited about it. I do get why it would be hard to make a DrWho game (an action game about a guy who refuses to be violent) but seeing as they didn't have to realise it in time for anything there's no excuse for it being this bad, and it raises the question as to why they even bothered making it in the first place.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Looks like that small part of me that thought the platforming looked like crap in the trailers was right, and I was really hoping this would be good.

And "Curse of the Black Spot" was....odd. I've seen it twice and I still have no idea how anyone thought that that was a good idea.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Curse of the Black Spot was slow and predictable but it wasn't that bad.
Immortal privateer father & son sail off into the nebula to be interdimensional space pirates!
Which earns a 7/10 on the UnderGlass Awesome scale. Its biggest issue was following the incredible opening episodes for the season.

And come on- Love and Monsters? The idea of a Doctor Who witness support group is hilarious!

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I wanted my predictions about this to be wrong, so badly. But sadly I was right. Doctor Who isn't exactly a good fit for videogames in my opinion. The best you could manage would be an adventure game, I suppose, but considering the Doctor usually wins via a combination of deus ex machina and science fantasy technobabble, I'm not sure how you'd expect a regular human with no knowledge of the inner workings of a Dalek warship to succeed.

And Curse of the Black Spot was pretty bad, but almost worth it for the space pirate bit at the end. You don't mess with space pirates.

EDIT: With the exception of Samus Aran, obviously.