Doctor Who Travels Through TARDIS to Wii

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
doctorwhofan said:
Sniff sniff...my life is complete.
I wouldn't hold your breath, I'm sure this will be a poorly built game with ample Wii-mote waggles and poor implementation that will disappoint loyal fans.

I could be wrong of course.... I really hope I am

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Captain Pancake said:
This has wrong written all over it.
Davinator said:
A video game seems like it might hurt the franchise.
These two both.

I doubt it will rise above the level of "one more tie-in shovelware game" and that would be a crying shame. Why? Because it's Doctor Who, and the last thing Doctor Who needs is a videogame, and the REALLY last thing it needs is a shitty game.

Plus, well, what the hell would it be? Running around/away, pulling the trigger to use the sonic screwdriver? Maybe 1 will call to your companion to follow you, and 2 will make them use weapons for you?

Then again, if it's more like a point-and-click, like Phoenix Wright, it may have a chance.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
KillerMidget said:
Why choose Wii/DS of all platforms?

Everytime I hear "Wii/DS" the game is instantly turned into a lesson in mediocrity.
Exactly! This should be coming out for PC/360/PS3. You know, the platforms that haven't neglected their core demographic.

EDIT: The post below mine is excellent. And why hasn't Root chipped in yet???

Pirce said:
THAT IS NOT THE DOCTOR! *runs away crying*
Which Doctor were you thinking of? 9th or 10th?
Christopher Eccleston was the best doctor.. David was ok but it took me a couple of episodes to warm up to him. the first words out of Chris's mouth " run"

lol

david was to pretty to be the doctor, chris had that rugged well traveled look..

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Not only is the premise of a Doctor Who game flawed, and not only is the Wii the wrong platform for any game to be on, but this new Doctor looks like Frankenstein's monster was hit by a truck. Look at the guy; that is not right.

This is a horrible, but we know that this will sell like hotcakes.

Woodsey said:
xD

I wouldn't be so sure my cooking-utensil-preparing friend.

This sentence: "We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand." is what assures me that my face will in fact remain on erm... my face.
"Good" is hard to measure in this case. How will you be judging this game? Loyalty to source material? Quality of the game? Sales figures? I personally think it will fail in all three categories, but of course it is on the Wii. [rage]God knows how much money soccer moms are willing to shell out to Nintendo to shut their children up for twenty minutes, the time it takes the children to realize that the game they just got is not very good and start whining again.[/rage]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It could work, I mean the only plausible way to do a Dr. Who game and have it feel right would be an "adventure game" similar to the old Point and Click variety with a focus on running and puzzle solving.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
I love Doctor Who (favorite thing on TV) But i can't help but feel that this a terrible terrible idea

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
As the Doctor does not fit the typical videogame mould, this COULD be interesting.
However, as they mention family-friendliness...set expectations to very very low indeed.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
I knew I kept my Wii for something important! I would have preferred a PS3 Doctor Who game but beggars can't be choosers.

Is this a bad time to point out that the Doctor can't travel "through" the TARDIS to get somewhere, he must travel "in" the TARDIS to get somewhere...

Sorry to correct the title of this thread but it's true :)
Although it means time and relative dimensions in space correct?

Therefore he would move through time and relative dimensions in space to reach the wii surely, just by walking along you technically do that.

OT: I can't see this ending well, also if you're going to be a modern doctor surely Tennent?

Scranton111

Feb 12, 2010
I really don't see how you can build a game about Doctor Who. It's a great series, but what would you do? I think someone else mentioned it too, but there's very little playability in Doctor Who to make good use out of, and I'm worried this will hurt the game more than what consoles it comes out on or who's making the game. From the article it doesn't sound like a lame knock-off made for a bit more money, but I just don't think it's a concept that can work well.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Please, please, PLEASE.

Don't make it shit. I don't understand how a Doctor Who videogame would work, but just make it work. PLEASE.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
messy said:
TimeLord said:
I knew I kept my Wii for something important! I would have preferred a PS3 Doctor Who game but beggars can't be choosers.

Is this a bad time to point out that the Doctor can't travel "through" the TARDIS to get somewhere, he must travel "in" the TARDIS to get somewhere...

Therefore he would move through time and relative dimensions in space to reach the wii surely, just by walking along you technically do that.
Technically yes, but the acronym TARDIS and the content of the topic suggests the actual TARDIS machine is begin referred to, thus you can't walk "through" a TARDIS.

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
messy said:
TimeLord said:

Technically yes, but the acronym TARDIS and the content of the topic suggests the actual TARDIS machine is begin referred to, thus you can't walk "through" a TARDIS.
Technically, you can travel "through" the TARDIS to reach the Cloister room and all the rest of the TARDIS, given it's dimensionally transcendent. You're not telling me that Ace didn't bring her machine from Perivale... ;)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TimeLord said:
messy said:
TimeLord said:

Technically, you can travel "through" the TARDIS to reach the Cloister room and all the rest of the TARDIS, given it's dimensionally transcendent. You're not telling me that Ace didn't bring her machine from Perivale... ;)
Also true, I will concede defeat. However, I maintain my original argument was right

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A Doctor Who game eh? Now that makes me curious. What kind of gameplay will this have? How will it incorporate the Wii's motion controls?

Well, call me interested. Shame I lack a Wii though.
KillerMidget said:
Everytime I hear "Wii/DS" the game is instantly turned into a lesson in mediocrity.
Nonsense, there are plenty of high-quality titles for the Wii and définitely for the DS. You just notice them less because they're covered in piles of shovelware. If the 360 would be the top-selling console, or the PS3, it would have the same problem as both the Wii and the DS are having right now. But that doesn't mean that there is plenty of good stuff out there.

Vortex Traveller

Sep 28, 2008
Want, gimmie now, I've been disappointed that the only Docotr Who game in recent years was a Top Trumps game (and I have not found a copy of the old "Destiny of the Doctor's". I just hope they do justice to the greatest show in the galaxy.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Macgyvercas said:
Pirce said:
THAT IS NOT THE DOCTOR! *runs away crying*
Which Doctor were you thinking of? 9th or 10th?
Pfft. Tom Baker is, and always will be, THE Doctor. Once you see Four, you'll never want more!

...or something.

Anyway. The concept of Doctor Who in a video game can work, depending on how they treat it. Stealth-based sabotage, trickery and misdirection, combat as only an absolute last resort- there's some elements from the Thief series that they could hew to (minus the whole "taking everything that isn't nailed down, and bringing a prybar for what is" bit). The problem is that this sort of game probably isn't going to see very widespread popularity, because people these days prefer pushing a button and watching everything on the screen explode in a fountain of arterial red.