Doctor Who Travels Through TARDIS to Wii

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Doctor Who Travels Through TARDIS to Wii

A deal has finally been hammered out that will bring a new Doctor Who videogame to the Wii and DS.

The currently ongoing version of BBC's television show Doctor Who is now set for translation onto the Nintendo Wii and DS. Though details are still somewhat spotty, the BBC has reportedly made a deal with Nintendo that is estimated to be worth £10 million ($15 million). The games are scheduled for release in the UK in October, with no other regions mentioned yet.

MCVUK [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2889266/Doctor-Who-is-made-into-a-computer-game-for-the-Wii.html]. A Sun insider stated: "We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand." The game will be focused on the television show's newest Doctor, Matt Smith, and will include popular series enemies such as the Daleks, Cybermen, and Silurians.

While gameplay details haven't been officially revealed, the Wii and DS title appears to be an action/adventure game of some sort. However, Doctor Who bigwigs are keeping a close eye on the game's development, as they don't want their flagship character plunked into a brawler. According to the insider: "You can't have Doctor Who blowing things to bits with a laser gun. That would massively change the nature of the show." Doctor Who is not typically known for his kung-fu skills, and the BBC wants the videogame version to use his cunning rather than his fists.

There have been Doctor Who videogames in the past for the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, PC, and even more recent platforms such as the PlayStation 2, though the latest version was based on a top-selling card game. It will be interesting to see what Nintendo and the BBC can churn out, and if it'll be any good. Official details would likely be coming soon.

Sources: MCVUK [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2889266/Doctor-Who-is-made-into-a-computer-game-for-the-Wii.html]

laryri

May 19, 2008
It's a game about running and then using a sonic screwdriver to do something you don't understand to beat an enemy in a way you don't know how.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Why choose Wii/DS of all platforms?

Everytime I hear "Wii/DS" the game is instantly turned into a lesson in mediocrity.
Exactly! This should be coming out for PC/360/PS3. You know, the platforms that haven't neglected their core demographic.

EDIT: The post below mine is excellent. And why hasn't Root chipped in yet???

Pirce said:
THAT IS NOT THE DOCTOR! *runs away crying*
Which Doctor were you thinking of? 9th or 10th?

Davinator

Apr 15, 2009
I've followed Doctor Who since I discovered it in 2000 and watch all the episodes from the 60's and whatnot. This said, this feels kinda' pushed.

Doctor Who "worked" as a video game a few years ago because people were still discovering games for the most part. Now, with the 11th Doctor, I feel like it's trying to become to mainstream if anyone gets that. A younger (youngest!) Doctor that appeals to the youth from what I've seen and now a video game targeted at the kiddies? The franchise doesn't need to be done like this. Doctor Who was always sci-fi first (no matter how corny) and a family show second. This game seems like that's about to be swapped.

tl;dr: A video game seems like it might hurt the franchise.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
They should have let Hal Labs made it.

Why?

Because a Doctor Who game with Earthbound inspired mechanics would be AWESOMESAUCE.

(as in, a Doctor Who RPG)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
OptimusHagrid said:
They should have let Hal Labs made it.

Why?

Because a Doctor Who game with Earthbound inspired mechanics would be AWESOMESAUCE.

(as in, a Doctor Who RPG)
That would be awesome. I'll see what Nintendo has in store for this game.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Point and click adventure game about Doctor Who? Fantastic!

A space-exploring sand-box would be cool, right?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Davinator said:
I've followed Doctor Who since I discovered it in 2000 and watch all the episodes from the 60's and whatnot. This said, this feels kinda' pushed.

Doctor Who "worked" as a video game a few years ago because people were still discovering games for the most part. Now, with the 11th Doctor, I feel like it's trying to become to mainstream if anyone gets that. A younger (youngest!) Doctor that appeals to the youth from what I've seen and now a video game targeted at the kiddies? The franchise doesn't need to be done like this. Doctor Who was always sci-fi first (no matter how corny) and a family show second. This game seems like that's about to be swapped.
This is pretty much how I feel about it to a T.

I hope that the game will be a real game, rather than hacked together shovelware. Hell, I hope it gets delayed for a while so the developers have more time to treat it properly and make a pretty good game.
lwm3398 said:
Woodsey said:
If this turns out good I'll eat my own face.
Prepare a sharp-ended spatula. You will be eating some face.
Sadly, I think that his face will remain un-digested.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I knew I kept my Wii for something important! I would have preferred a PS3 Doctor Who game but beggars can't be choosers.

Is this a bad time to point out that the Doctor can't travel "through" the TARDIS to get somewhere, he must travel "in" the TARDIS to get somewhere...

Sorry to correct the title of this thread but it's true :)

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
My god, WHY?! I have been thinking of making a Doctor Who game when I turn about 25 or something, and my imagination painted me the picture of this:

"To make a good Doctor Who game, you need to have full access to EVERY year of EVERY century, be able to go ANYWHERE WHITHIN that year, and that there needed to be something to DO in that place". I quickly dismissed the idea, but yet dreamed of it being made, seeing as Doctor Who isn't really the sort of thing you PLAY.

I feel that EVERYTHING about these up-coming games will suck, because its based on a good show, but with bad playabillity, and it's released to Wii and DS, the two shittiest consoles there is (Think about it, they are.) and finally, it's NINTENDO, they only made three good games and then thought that they could get away by creating 30 more of each of them, sometimes when they all go Go-karting together.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Woodsey said:
If this turns out good I'll eat my own face.
Prepare a sharp-ended spatula. You will be eating some face.
xD

I wouldn't be so sure my cooking-utensil-preparing friend.

This sentence: "We're delighted to have finally nailed down a deal. We went with Nintendo as they have huge appeal for families and Doctor Who is very much a family brand." is what assures me that my face will in fact remain on erm... my face.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
But will the children want to use their cunning rather than their fists?

This has wrong written all over it.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The games are scheduled for release in the UK in October, with no other regions mentioned yet.
At least in the DS' case it'll play an imported cart. The Wii, not so much. If it looks promising I'll give it a go on the DS. Maybe it'll go the interactive novel route, like Hotel Dusk. Not that exciting, I know, but I agree that the Doctor running around blowing shit up just wouldn't be right...now if they let us play as Daleks... :)

I did play the Doctor Who version of Top Trumps on the DS. Graphics aside, nothing really Whovian about the game. Top Trumps, itself, is an interesting "advanced" take on the War cardgame. Never played the actual card game, might be fun with my kids.