Doctor Who's 12th Actor Revealed

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Because the Doctor is in fact a Möbius fucking bow-tie.
Oh man that's a fucking excellent expression. I'm totally using that next time I get the chance. It's still quite acceptable that he's got another cycle ahead of him. We know from the old series that they can be given new cycles, so it would make sense for them to have been given new set at the outbreak of the time war. Soldiers that take 12 deaths to die? Yeah go for it. Plus not only do we have the John Hurt insert, making Capaldi the 13th and final incarnation, he used a regeneration up on his severed hand making that Tennent Dupe. By which I can assume the theory of a new cycle is correct, otherwise Matt Smith wouldn't be able to regenerate.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I was surprised by this due to his earlier role in Doctor Who and his role in Torchwood but I am looking forward to seeing his take on the role, I also like that they have picked an older actor for the role again.

Amnesiac Pigeon

Jul 14, 2010
This might be the best piece of casting news I've ever heard from Doctor Who.

I've loved Peter Capaldi in nearly every role I've seen him in.

I'm now really excited again after a lackluster season.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
Rule No. 1: The Doctor lies.

Rule No. 2:

Fixed that up for you, for future reference, its [*youtube=fakdhflakjdf*] without the '*'s.

OT: I'm super excited for this.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Mumorpuger said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
I was holding out for Idris Elba.
Absolutely. As I was reading this I was thinking that they really need to get a black actor to really shake things up. The Time Lords are a race that can travel to any place or time, and have encountered countless races, yet every time there's a regeneration the Doctor ends up as a Caucasian male. What are the odds of that?
Its been noted before that they can swap gender too, so people were really hoping for a female and/or non-white doctor to spice things up, so mildly disappointed they didn't take a risk on mixing things up. (though when he asked fans at a con how they'd react to a female doctor, and he got a pretty much 100% reply that they'd stop watching the show)

Having said that, interested to see his take on it, though anticipating some mash-ups where they overdub the doctor with Malcom Tucker lines.

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
Riobux said:

And ladies and gents, this is what you're dealing with.
Here's hoping that 2:41 - 3:00 is his first line after his first trip in the Tardis.

"Doctor, what just happened?"

"WE'VE FUCKING TIME-TRAVELLED, YES?"

Davina McCall as pope, downloadable rice and robots (preferably Daleks) sounds like a hell of an episode.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Oh cool, I've just found some leaked script from some of his upcoming episodes. Seems like they're aiming for the "In the Thick of It" audience.

"The Sontarans, aye, theres a good one. They look like the what might happen if Wayne Rooney shagged Ann Widdecombe. In fact, they are so ugly, I invented a new word for them. Cuntspud."

"Cybermen? Some fucking chance. It doesn't look like theres a pair of bollocks between ye. Cyber-cunts, thats more like it."

"You should go on a date with that Bobby fucking Davros fella. Ye know, the one that looks like Stephen Hawking being fucked by an 8 foot salt cellar."

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Awesome (I wish he would be rocking that facial hair combo though!), he's a really good actor that will be different enough too. I liked all the previous new-who Doctors, but I was worried they'd pick another young guy to do it. Still, I can't help but be a little disappointed that it wasn't David Morrissey.

Let's just hope the writing is a bit better for him though, eh?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Windknight said:
Its been noted before that they can swap gender too, so people were really hoping for a female and/or non-white doctor to spice things up, so mildly disappointed they didn't take a risk on mixing things up. (though when he asked fans at a con how they'd react to a female doctor, and he got a pretty much 100% reply that they'd stop watching the show)
Every reason why they shouldn't do it. Appeasing is an indirect form of prejudice. To be fair, it is a Scottish actor and amongst that the Scottish independence referendum is in late 2014, this is controversial enough. Especially if mixed with some independence morality episode. Oh boy, would that be fun?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Vault Citizen said:
I was surprised by this due to his earlier role in Doctor Who
My thoughts exactly. Even though I don't really like the series, seeing the same actor that played the Roman marble-worker as the doctor is kinda strange.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I hope he makes for a cool doctor like Eccleston, not a silly one. It would actually make me interested in watching more Dr Who, which I haven't really been interested in, other than Eccleston's time.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
jez29 said:
Here's hoping that 2:41 - 3:00 is his first line after his first trip in the Tardis.

"Doctor, what just happened?"

"WE'VE FUCKING TIME-TRAVELLED, YES?"

Davina McCall as pope, downloadable rice and robots (preferably Daleks) sounds like a hell of an episode.
That whole segment was just so fitting, given recent developments. If that happened it would probably make for the best scenes in Doctor Who history. This is how he should describe the workings of the TARDIS to the next person that joins him in the blue box, be it the next companion or someone joining them for a single episode.

Just looking at his wikipedia entry, it's probably just a funny coincidence that they have listed his role in World War Z as "WHO Doctor". Really? :)

Edit: Unless I'm mistaken, this now marks the second actor who has had a small part in the Fires of Pompeii episode moving on to have a bigger role in the series, the first being Karen Gillen.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Jandau said:
While I don't watch the show, I do posses a modicum of knowledge about the character (mostly thanks to SF Debris), so I gotta ask - Shouldn't the Doctor be running out of reincarnations by this point? I mean, each actor is supposed to be a different incarnation of the Doctor, after he dies/gets killed. And he's got a finite number of them. Doesn't he have like one left? Is this the last one?
Actually there is a little known quirk about Time Lord physiology that allows them to regenerate indefinitely as long as TV shows about them are making money.

I hope the following conversation happens at least once during the next Doctor's innings:

Dalek: EX-TER-MIN-ATE! *swivels menacingly, ready to plunger someone to death*
Doctor: Oh, fuck off you knobbly c*nt!

I like that they have gone for someone older, I just hope that means the show is going to steer away from being more for kids and gets a bit dark.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Akichi Daikashima said:
I was holding out for Idris Elba.
Second best suggestion for Doctor ever. Trumped only by Paterson Joseph for this reason:

Ironically, Peter Capaldi played The Angel Islington in this version of Neil Gaimans' Neverwhere.

Perhaps he might pull Doctor Who back into a decent quality.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
odd, this guy has already been in Dr Who in another old ep as some random person. Now that random character is Dr Who ? QUE ?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know this may well have me watching Doctor Who again. Malcom fucking Tucker as the Doctor :D

Also, I am surprised, but also happy, at the amount of The Thick Of it fans there are.

Can't wait for the interactions with any companions too.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
Grabehn said:
Vault Citizen said:
I was surprised by this due to his earlier role in Doctor Who
My thoughts exactly. Even though I don't really like the series, seeing the same actor that played the Roman marble-worker as the doctor is kinda strange.

There's a history of this guys, Colin Baker (the 6th Doctor) had played an character in an earlier episode called Commander Maxxil, they handwaved this as him basing this regeneration off of Maxxil's body imprint. Freema Agyeman had a minor role in the (nu) series two finale before being cast as the companion Martha in (nu) series 3, apparently because of her great chemistry with then Doctor David Tennant while working on set. Karen Gillan was in the (nu) series 4 episode "The Fires of Pompeii" (the same episode which featured Peter Capaldi) as a sister of the syballine order, before being cast as Amy Pond. (The production team changed in between, but you could tell she was well regarded, as she was one of the few actors brought over to Rome for the on location filming)

BBC Drama in general and in particular the stuff coming out of BBC Wales tends to be fairly incestuous. It's no surprise the new doctor is both someone who has starred in a BBC series before and worked with Doctor Who before. Matt Smith was an irregularity in that respect.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Cognimancer said:
Show producer Steven Moffat had considered Capaldi for the role of the 11th Doctor, but decided the time wasn't quite right. Capaldi previously made a brief appearance on the show during the 10th Doctor's run, playing Lucius Caecilius in The Fires of Pompeii. More recently, he's played a different variety of doctor in World War Z and is possibly best known from The Thick of It.
Don't forget he was also in the Doctor Who spin-off, Torchwood. Specifically, season 3: Children of Earth