Doctor Who's Matt Smith to Play Major Role in Terminator Reboot

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
2,306
0
0
Doctor Who's Matt Smith to Play Major Role in Terminator Reboot

The Doctor joins the Khaleesi in the Terminator reboot.

Matt Smith will join the cast of Terminator: Genesis, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions announced today. Smith will play a new character, albeit one with a strong connection to John Connor.

Smith joins Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jai Courtney, J.K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi, Byung Hun Lee, Jason Clarke, and Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130533-Game-of-Thrones-Actress-Will-Be-Sarah-Connor-in-Terminator-Reboot] Smith gained popularity through his portrayal as the young-looking Eleventh Doctor of Doctor Who. He recently parted with the role, which will now be played by Peter Capaldi, after nearly four years of being The Doctor.

Smith's Doctor frequently acted more childish and silly than previous Doctors, but in some episodes we got a taste of how Smith portrays conflict in his character. The "Nightmare in Silver" episode, penned by Neil Gaiman, gave Smith the role of playing two very different characters in the same episode, and it showed Smith is a skilled actor capable of playing villains as well as heroes. While The Doctor was nutty, he also carried a lot of guilt and regret.

The Terminator reboot will be another three movies, and Smith's role will grow with each film. It will also have Skydance Productions tweeted earlier today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133237-Terminator-Reboot-Will-Feature-Multiple-Time-Travelling-Robots].

Terminator: Genesis is scheduled to release in July 2015.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/matt-smith-terminator-major-role-doctor-who/]


Permalink
 

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,507
0
1
It's not Terminator without Schwarzenegger eh?

Seriously. I don't mind Schwarzenegger but can we have a Terminator film without him now?
 

Ratty

New member
Jan 21, 2014
848
0
0
Well that's definitely a step down.

And I'm not even a big Dr. Who fan. I guess we're all doomed to watch Hollywood chase the glory of the first two films until these sequels lose enough money.
 

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
5,265
0
0
I read the title and burst out laughing, not because i think this will fail, but because of the amount of fan rage this will get xD

Everyone, you better wear your fire suits, cause this forum is gonna be in flames soon...
 

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
2,306
0
0
so the plot of "Terminator: Genesis" revolves around the walls of geek reality breaking down ?

well at least it's original...

is Brent Spiner in it ?
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Has anyone made a "The Doctor Created Skynet" joke yet? If not, I want to be the first.

arc1991 said:
I read the title and burst out laughing, not because i think this will fail, but because of the amount of fan rage this will get xD
For being a reboot, or am I missing something?

Or is it just that DW fans hate Matt Smith for not being Dave Tennant?

Sleekit said:
so the plot of "Terminator: Genesis" revolves around the walls of geek reality breaking down ?

well at least it's original...

is Brent Spiner in it ?
If that was true, Will Wheaton would have to be involved, not Spiner.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
The Terminator reboot will be another three movies
*Sigh* Of course there would have to be a trilogy. Maybe this trilogy will actually get to the second film unlike the last attempt which failed after Salvation.

I'm not really sure how Smith will fit in to it without really knowing what the plot is going to be other than 'time travelling robots want to kill someone', especially if he isn't John Connor. Maybe he is going to be the generic nerdy friend who ends up 'hacking' a broken Terminator to make it friendly and fight on their side in the next movie? It would make him a more significant character in later films if he has to stop the hacked Arnie-nator turning back to the dark side.
 

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
2,306
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sleekit said:
so the plot of "Terminator: Genesis" revolves around the walls of geek reality breaking down ?

well at least it's original...

is Brent Spiner in it ?
If that was true, Will Wheaton would have to be involved, not Spiner.
i concede that would be better...

"tell me more of this film with Will Wheaton and a Terminator in it..." :p
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Sleekit said:
i concede that would be better...

"tell me more of this film with Will Wheaton and a Terminator in it..." :p
Come to think of it, we really do need a "The Expendables" type movie with a collection of various icons from geek culture. Kind of like the Super Robot Wars games in Japan, but with live-action sci-fi.
 

Infernai

New member
Apr 14, 2009
2,605
0
0
I wander how everyone would react if Matt turns out to be Kyle Reese. I actually kind of want to see that happen, just to see the internet explode >:3 MWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

TimeLord said:
It's not Terminator without Schwarzenegger eh?

Seriously. I don't mind Schwarzenegger but can we have a Terminator film without him now?
We already did that with Terminator Salvation and look how that turned out...

(The CGI Arnie doesn't count as that actually wasn't really him)
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
So, Matt Smith leaves acting in a high-profile time travel series to begin work...acting in a high-profile time travel series.

Come on, Matt! Tennant did Shakespeare! Branch out!

(Nah, I'm kidding. It sounds like something I should look into...in the not-too-distant future.)
 

Brennan

New member
Mar 21, 2014
74
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sleekit said:
i concede that would be better...

"tell me more of this film with Will Wheaton and a Terminator in it..." :p
Come to think of it, we really do need a "The Expendables" type movie with a collection of various icons from geek culture. Kind of like the Super Robot Wars games in Japan, but with live-action sci-fi.
That's a good idea. I'd pay to see that.

In regards to The Terminator though: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Seriously, at this point my interest in watching the artificially prolonged crumbling of franchises is in the negative numbers. Doesn't matter what franchise, or even what media: once it's broken the "Silent Hill 4" barrier, I already know where it's going, and I'm not gonna waste my time. At that point I'd rather pay for something new, even if it wasn't as good in its own right.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Brennan said:
Seriously, at this point my interest in watching the artificially prolonged crumbling of franchises is in the negative numbers. Doesn't matter what franchise, or even what media: once it's broken the "Silent Hill 4" barrier, I already know where it's going, and I'm not gonna waste my time. At that point I'd rather pay for something new, even if it wasn't as good in its own right.
I love the concept of the Terminator, but the franchise has kind of been screwed for a long time and it's hard to imagine them bringing it back at this point. I mean, it could happen, but there's so much baggage at the very least. I get that's part of why they're rebooting, but people go into a reboot with expectations, too.

It seems like it's a hard sell you'd only make for money, which doesn't say much about the quality of the film.
 

Shiftygiant

New member
Apr 12, 2011
433
0
0
When I first saw this headline, I thought that Matt Smith would be the Terminator. And that made me happy because it would be an interesting choice that could work, given how he would have the tradition of having an out of place accent and looking slightly fake. But then I remembered that Arnold was still the Terminator for some reason, and I was disappointed. Then I notice you don't say what his role is, so I have hope he'll be a terminator, like Robert Patrick.
 

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
2,755
0
0
Shiftygiant said:
When I first saw this headline, I thought that Matt Smith would be the Terminator. And that made me happy because it would be an interesting choice that could work, given how he would have the tradition of having an out of place accent and looking slightly fake. But then I remembered that Arnold was still the Terminator for some reason, and I was disappointed. Then I notice you don't say what his role is, so I have hope he'll be a terminator, like Robert Patrick.
My first though was of Matt Smith walking up to some guy and telling him he needs his fez and bow tie and motorcycle.
 

Two-A

New member
Aug 1, 2012
247
0
0
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Shiftygiant said:
When I first saw this headline, I thought that Matt Smith would be the Terminator. And that made me happy because it would be an interesting choice that could work, given how he would have the tradition of having an out of place accent and looking slightly fake. But then I remembered that Arnold was still the Terminator for some reason, and I was disappointed. Then I notice you don't say what his role is, so I have hope he'll be a terminator, like Robert Patrick.
My first though was of Matt Smith walking up to some guy and telling him he needs his fez and bow tie and motorcycle.
And now I have an image of Matt Smith walking up to a Starbucks naked and taking someone's clothes.