Documentary Reveals The Harsh World Of Competitive Quidditch

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
The reason why this would never get NCAA recognition is the Snitch. Theres no way to make a person objectively fair equal and identical.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Now while that does sound like quite a bit of a laugh and fun to play i have to ask, how can you have a world cup when only American university students take part? Doesn't 'world' imply several countries taking part?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Karma168 said:
Now while that does sound like quite a bit of a laugh and fun to play i have to ask, how can you have a world cup when only American university students take part? Doesn't 'world' imply several countries taking part?
There were teams from Canada too. They can still call it a world cup, even if teams from further abroad are too poor to turn up.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
That... is AWESOME.
But I must say, the Snitch has the best job by far. Their job description is basically "Run where you like, do what you want - be fucking awesome"
I want to move to America now. :c

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
There are teams from over 2 dozen countries, including England.
Grey Carter said:
Karma168 said:
There were teams from Canada too. They can still call it a world cop, even if teams from further abroad are too poor to turn up.
There are teams from over several countries that take part, including England.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Just.. amazed at how big this has actually gotten. If it wasn't so late in the year I would endevour to attend the 6th QWC, as long as its in new York or California.

Karma168 said:
There are teams from Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Finland and of course the good' ol US of A taking part this year. Wish a British team would attend.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
First off....

This is just so FREAKING AWESOME!!!

walrusaurus said:
The reason why this would never get NCAA recognition is the Snitch. Theres no way to make a person objectively fair equal and identical.
We have referees and umpires who are expected to be fair equal and identical in EVERY major sport I am aware of. In this game there is simply a third class of people on the field who like the teams are a part of the action but like the reffs are neutral.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I like the seeker idea. It seems pretty interesting to be one.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
lord.jeff said:
Still a broken sport, unless the team completely outmatches it's opponent the only position worth note is the seeker.
In case you didn't watch the video, in this the snitch is only worth 30 points, compared to 10 for a regular goal. If you've got a decent human snitch, I'd imagine that the game would go long enough that the bonus points wouldn't represent an overly large proportion of the total score.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Superior Mind said:
I get the appeal in turning fictional Quiddich into an actual sport, it works pretty well. I don't get why they force the players to straddle brooms though given that there is no purpose in that aside from looking ridiculous.
Judging from the video, if you lose the brooms it's just too much like rugby.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Americans playing a competition amongst themselves and calling it a world tournament? Surely not!

In serious, I've got some quidditch playing friends(including Gryffindor Seeker, so that makes me an ancillary character!) in my Uni and it seems cool enough. I definitely prefer to be the snitch :D

Simmo8591

May 20, 2009
I think it looks like a good laugh. Mix of dodge ball, ultimate Frisbee and American football. doesn't take itself too seriously and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
Grey Carter said:
including a team from the notoriously fancy-pants Johns Hopkins university
I'll have you know that I have several friends in that school, and their pants are just as mundane as yours or mine!

OT - Happy geeky fun-time with brooms and pain. I would get involved if I valued my organs less.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I couldn't take this serious, but damn is it hilarious. And a Swiffer-mop? Someone's a "special" wizard. >.<

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
never been a fan of the books, and all this seems kind of stupid...

Real Quidditch lacks magic but makes up for it with violence.
hmmmm...RAWR on second thought, it looks like fun. sign me up! =P

lol I'd be all like "come at me bro!", tho straddling the broomstick is a one way ticket to a bad bump/kick to extreme pain (kinda like when my friends and I used to joking play a little variation of lacrosse called la crotch...)