Does a long list of DLC turn you off from the game?

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I actually appreciate it if the game is fantastic. I got into FO3 a long time after launch and having even more content was a blessing from Talos himself.

Though, there is an example where it goes too far. There's a train simulator 'Railworks 3' that has over 1k worth of DLC (On Steam). That's a bit... ridiculous.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Das Boot said:
Crono1973 said:
TheKasp said:
You can complete it without spending a load of money.

On Topic: No. I look at DLC when I'm through a game. And then I decide if I buy it. Have yet to come across any game where I got the feeling of an uncomplete game because of DLC.

...and yet by definition a game without all of it DLC is incomplete.
No. Just because their is additional content does not mean it is incomplete. Does a game suddenly become incomplete because an expansion is released for it? No of course not its just additional content. The original game you bought was complete.
Yes, a game become incomplete once an expansion is released for it especially if the expansion continues the story. Even an expansion like Shivering Isles is now considered part of Oblivion.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
TheKasp said:
Crono1973 said:
My GF plays Sims 3, she has probably spent $500 on that one game...so far...expansions and DLC are still coming I am sure.
Heh, Sims is one of the games with questionable DLC / expansion value since the next installment will come out without everything that was added in the 3rd installment and so forth. If people think that TF2 hats are overdone I just have to point them towards Sims 3. My TF2 hats are at least seen by the people I kill!
There is also that train simulation game on Steam with $1800 of DLC to point out.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
TheKasp said:
Crono1973 said:
There is also that train simulation game on Steam with $1800 of DLC to point out.
To be honest, this is not really all that different to those guys with model trains ;) A friend of mine collects those and can only finance all this shit by making this littel parts for decorating the table and selling them.
Model trains are physical (and very fuckin cool), digital trains are not. In my opinion anyway.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Long lists of DLC dont turn me off of a game at all.

for the same reason a book series have a ton of side/spin-off books doesn't turn me off from the main series.

Its all extra frivolous BS I dont really need.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Das Boot said:
Crono1973 said:
Seeing that, I lost any motivation to play and yesterday I traded it in. I don't even want to start a game that I can't complete without spending a large amount of money. I already paid full price for this game and they want to pay full price again to get the rest of it? That's how I see it.

How do you see it? Does a long list of DLC fill you with dread and zap your motivation to play at all?
Wait does that mean you will never buy a game new for fear of dlc coming out in the future and making it all of a sudden not complete?
You must have missed the "long list" part.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nope.

I'm not really big into DLC anyways. I have quite a few games that have DLC available that I haven't bothered to download because the DLC offered doesn't interest me. However, if I'm enjoying the game then I'm sure I will enjoy the DLC and I will get it because I want to play with the content they are providing me.

I love Borderlands. I stopped playing it for a long time because I had a backlog to get through, and the next thing I knew there was a lot of DLC for it. So I started playing again and I never saw it as what you described it as.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
It can completely put me off. It can depend on the DLC but it usaully puts me off. I didn't get ME3 for 2 reasons. I found myself unable to care about it and I knew there would be a shitload of DLC coming out for it that I won't want to buy, yet whenever I try to play it again I will feel like im not playing the full game, same thing happened with ME2.

If it's all just cosmetic stuff then im fine with it. Or if it's a really old game then I could expect it to have plenty of DLC but usaully lots of DLC puts me off since most of the time, DLC isn't worth the price.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, because its usually a direct indicator of how much of the game is MISSING on initial release. Greed is easy to measure, especially when its blatent.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Crono1973 said:
nikki191 said:
i play sims 3.. nuff said about being turned off games for dlc
My GF plays Sims 3, she has probably spent $500 on that one game...so far...expansions and DLC are still coming I am sure.
Maybe it's time for that little excursion behind the shed.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Antari said:
Yes, because its usually a direct indicator of how much of the game is MISSING on initial release. Greed is easy to measure, especially when its blatent.

Most DLC is made after the game releases. DLC is just the new expansion pack, simply smaller, and cheaper.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
It puts me off a lot. It makes me think that when I buy the game I'm not really getting most of the game, just a base for more purchases.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
kyosai7 said:
Antari said:

Most DLC is made after the game releases. DLC is just the new expansion pack, simply smaller, and cheaper.
If thats what you want to keep telling yourself, go right ahead. But don't expect me to go along with it.