Does a long list of DLC turn you off from the game?

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
Long list of DLC a problem?

Nope, there is nothing wrong with DLC. The pricing may be a bit steep at times but the content is additional and entirely optional. Day one DLC locked onto the disk or cut and pasted to a server is not DLC. Day one DLC is no more DLC than a loan shark is a loan officer.

Day one DLC is when the game and I have a problem.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Nieroshai said:
Crono1973 said:
TheKasp said:
You can complete it without spending a load of money.

On Topic: No. I look at DLC when I'm through a game. And then I decide if I buy it. Have yet to come across any game where I got the feeling of an uncomplete game because of DLC.

...and yet by definition a game without all of it DLC is incomplete.
Therefore, a game with an expansion pack is only half a game.

...what???
Really, do I need to explain this again? No, just read back.
I didn't expect to have to read every post you made in the topic to know what you were talking about. I do honestly get your point now, but I was replying to a specific comment. Sorry for confusion.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Yes, I don't like most DLC because I feel like I'm getting ripped off. But I don't mind expansion packs( Shivering Isles, All of the Fallout 3 DLC, All of the Kingdom of Amalur DLC)

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Seeing a lot of DLC turns me off of the DLC, You normally shouldnt buy a game with the DLC as soon as you buy it, unless you know you should.

Saint's Row 3 is a good example. I was thinking of buying the DLC, but more and more kept showing up and i decided just to ignore the DLC alltogether.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
It can put me off when buying from steam,
seeing the base game for $20 then another $15 of dlc makes me think that if I don't get the dlc I wont get an optimal gaming experience,
but then paying $35 for the game exceeds my desire to play it,
the result being I don't buy it (and look for something else to occupy my time)

I usually check reviews before I buy games, but most reviews are done at launch before most dlc is released, I wish I knew a site that reviewed game dlc, it would make these decisions easier.

Looking through the list linked above re. FF13-2, the wiki clearly shows that all of the dlc is either cosmetic or mini-game stuff, not plot based, so as far as I'm concerned should be bought on a per-item basis (like LoL skins),
However without a detailed list like that, I'd feel fairly daunted seeing a name and price style list on a purchase screen along with the main game.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It depends what exactly the DLC is. I'm more likely to buy DLC if it's bundled together, there's nothing worse than buying every DLC seperate and then seeing a bundle a month later.

Crono1973 said:
...and yet by definition a game without all of it DLC is incomplete.
On a game by game basis sure, but not every game. Fallout 3 might feel incomplete without Broken Steel, but all of the other DLC have negligible impact on the core game itself. Similarly Just Cause 2 isn't incomplete without the weapon packs and vehicles.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Yeah, I am a man and I am starting to see that FF 13-2 wasn't really meant for me. I don't want a closet full of clothes, digital or not. Mostly though, I feel there are some games that intend to make their money off of DLC. That's ok I guess if they give you the game for cheap or free to play but when they charge you $60, give you a half ass game (it's actually worse than the FF 13) and then insult you with loads of cosmetic DLC from other games, the ending and bosses from previous Final Fantasy games. That just feels like a scam.
Oh, I can understand that. Like I say, I haven't bought any of the dlc for this because none of it adds anything to a game.

Personally, I will only buy DLC for a game if it adds a significant amount of play time to it (Look at Borderlands, for example), and if it truely is Post release DLC. Borderlands is a good example, because the DLC was produced to expand upon the game way after release because of how well it did.

The problem is that the industry now doesn't work like that. The majority of (non-cosmetic) DLC is (or appears to be) content that was cut from the original game, or has been locked as a 'bonus' for people who buy the game new. If you wanted to be extremely forgiving (and perhaps a little naive) then you *could* claim that game developers want to cash in on a games success by churning out DLC as soon as possible, but then you have rushed, short content that adds nothing.

I know its a business, and they're all looking to make money, but less focus should be made on DLC, I think (especially that day one crap) and focus more on making games with lasting appeal and longevity, that people are more likely to want to keep to play through again, rather than blasting through it and trading it in. THEN think about making extra content.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Depends. When was the DLC released? And how much at once?

A large amount of Day 1 DLC is a definite turnoff, because it's a warning sign that they probably took something and chopped it down (virtual price hike). It suggests to me where their real priorities are; or that they aren't confident in the long term lifespan of their game.
"Git er done, shove it out and start work on the sequel" is a terribly common practice in the business today and I'd prefer to not support it, or get burned by it.

If it's a lot of DLC that's been released steadily over time, then it suggests that the company at least knows how to keep its audience interested; though it depends on the popularity of the latter DLC. If people are buying it, then perhaps the game has some substance to it (Borderlands GOTY was an example of that).

And that's excluding the properties of personal taste for the content/game itself; it's a given that I'm interested in the content (or at least the premise) if I'm looking at buying a game in the first place.
This just describes how I view the agenda and pricing scheme of said content.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Absolutely. I boycotted Mass Effect 3 because of DLC. It was so ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get exclusive DLC for the game with your cereals.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Not really. The only thing I can say is that I'm not forced to buy it, so why should I care unless I'm interested in getting it? Seriously, if a game, other than Rockband or something like that had 100 different pieces of DLC for it, it wouldn't turn me off. It'd just annoy me having to look through all of it to see if there's one I'm interested in.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I hate having to make DLC purchases; it's time consuming and expensive. I'd much rather do what I did for Dragon Age and Fable 2; wait for the 'complete' editions to come out with all the DLC included :3
It's a long wait though :(

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
Depends really, for example if I were to buy something like COD, and then saw all the map packs I needed to get, that might put me off a little bit, as I would be missing out on a ton of matches. But with stuff that is literally optional such as, say, Sonic 06, where the DLC was just a Hard Boss Rush mode or something like that, that really doesn't bother me.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Not really. I for one have yet to play all the DLC for New Vegas and Oblivion, even though i've played through them a couple of times. Because that's what true DLC is. It's Additional content.

The problem is that it leads very easily to money grabbing, where producers blur the line between "Additional" and " cut out". That whole Tekken VS Capcom thing, or the FF13-2 thing I just can't agree with.

DLC is a great concept, greed has twisted it a little bit though.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Pretty much, when things get complicated, it gets in the way. Just look at all the lists you get, car packs, map packs, extra planes, some free, some cost money, they're mixed in with the avatar stuff, whatever.

I lose interest very quickly when they make it unappealing like that. I just want to buy a game, enjoy it, and maybe buy an expansion when it comes out if I like the gameplay. Announce the DLC as early as you want, but make it simple to grasp the concept behind the whole thing.

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
It doesnt stop me getting games that are worth getting in the first place.
Though I have never actually bought a single piece of dlc.
Though I do intend to some day.