Does a long list of DLC turn you off from the game?

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
depends on the DLC :) if its extra weapons for single player and gadgets like Deus Ex: Human Revolution hell yeah! but skins and nothing game altering then no..

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
A long list usually does, because it's usually a company being greedy. That's not always the case, for exampe Killing Floor has loads of skins released as DLC but they cost under £2 each - most of them under £1 - but as a general rule a long list just means lots of things the publisher withheld for more money. A lot of DLC doesn't immedatly halt any interest I have in a game, but it will sure make me look at the advertising and reviews a lot more cynically.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Nope. DLC is 100% optional. If i hear good things about it, i might get it. if i hear bad things, i'll skip it.

A game isnt defined by its dlc, its ending, or its graphics, but by how good of a game it is. Oblivion was just as amazing before The Shriving Isles came out. I enjoyed Fallout Newvegas without the expansions, and put almost 100+ hours in before the first one even hit the shelves. And despite what people may say, the ending didnt ruin ME3 for me. I went back through and played it twice more.

A game holds up on the idea that "I had good times playing it" more then anything else. When you look at KoToR, what do you remember about it? Were the animations great? Where the Graphics amazing? Did the ending blow you away? Chances are, the answer is actually no to those questions, but if you enjoyed KoToR, you look back at all the good times you had playing it.

No, DLC will never scare me off from a game. If anything, a long list of good DLC means the game itself must have been decent to warrant it. Im more inclined to buy a game if its got a long list of DLC, then if it has none.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
No. For me it's not an indication of an incomplete game, but more of a game that's just so popular, the developer can afford putting out more content for it. I'll just browse around and see which DLC I like and ignore the rest.

Release day DLC or a lot of DLC right after release can be a different matter though. In that case I make doubly sure the game itself is worth me buying it. Or I wait for GOTY release of some sort.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
It usually doesn't bother me too much. I often look at DLC before purchasing a game. If there's something I actually want and see this being part of a future 'deluxe edition' re-release, I'm patient enough to wait for that. :p

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
I don't mind DLC when it's used as it should be. It can be a great way for developers to add enjoyable extras to a good game that would otherwise remain the same forever.

However, the unfortunate reality is that many publishers abuse DLC as a method of deliberately with-holding content from a game so that they can wring yet more money out of customers whom they should be rewarding for their loyalty. That's why day-one DLC and pre-order incentives make me sick to my stomach and usually result in the irony of my refusing to buy the game in question.

EA in particular have a lot to answer for in this regard.

As do Capcom.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
TheKasp said:
Crono1973 said:
My GF plays Sims 3, she has probably spent $500 on that one game...so far...expansions and DLC are still coming I am sure.
Heh, Sims is one of the games with questionable DLC / expansion value since the next installment will come out without everything that was added in the 3rd installment and so forth. If people think that TF2 hats are overdone I just have to point them towards Sims 3. My TF2 hats are at least seen by the people I kill!
There is also that train simulation game on Steam with $1800 of DLC to point out.
That's one of my favorite DLC packs! Every time I look at the list, my brain breaks and I get a pretty decent WTFhigh.

You know that somewhere, somehow... someone has bought all of that DLC. You know it.

OT: No. I rarely want the DLC anyways, although Tropico 4's expansion pack and DLCs look very nice. I'm waiting for them to go on sale.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
No. I don't bother to check DLC until I have the game in question, and when I find that there is additional stuff for sale, I never mind. For whatever reason, there's rarely much DLC for my favorite games. It always disappoints me a bit.

Sep 14, 2009
nope, not one bit, unless the game's ending(s) or last chunk of the game was cut out and sold as DLC, then i'll probably pass. DLC is not required in the slightest to enjoy the main complete game, so in most cases I don't care about it really. (the only DLC i've bought is stuff like lair of the shadow broker and a couple other things.)

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Exactly! When you see a long list of DLC (especially within months of release) you get the impression that you paid $60 for half a game because you realize that they purposely released the game with all that stuff missing. You ask yourself why they charged full price for it then and you realize you got scammed.

Final Fantasy XIII = $60 complete
Final Fantasy XIII-2 = $60 incomplete, probably $120 complete
To complain rather a game is complete or incomplete seems more neurotic issue to me then talking about how much fun you'll have with a game. Halo 2's single player campaign was a complete game, Oblivion vanilla is an incomplete game, but in the end it sure as hell longer then Halo 2. Look at all the crap games on Xbox or PS3, now look at a game like Tales of Graces, even though I haven't purchased all the DLC for it the game is still better then Blades with no DLC.

Judge a game by how much fun you'll have with it, factor in the money it will need (a game like Mass Effect may need the DLC to be truly great), but the end it's up to you rather to spend a given amount for a game. Sure it seems like a bait and switch, and there are games that are crap without the DLC, but thats less an issue of DLC then people making craps games like they have since Atari.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
It depends on what kind of DLC it is. Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2, for example, have tons of downloadable hats and weapons, but the hats are completely cosmetic and the weapons can be acquired normally. Cosmetic or corner-cutting stuff like that doesn't really bother me.
Other things like extra maps, levels, and characters, however, seem like a pointless money-grabbing tactic at the expense of real enjoyment, which I don't like.
In short, as long as I can get a complete gaming experience without it, then it doesn't bother me at all.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
No it does not. Mainly because I do not have a compulsion for "completeness". If the core game is solid then the DLC is totally optional.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
So long as it is not on-disc DLC, then I'm not bothered by it at all.

THAT'S when I start to feel like I've been sold an incomplete game.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'll get the DLC if I've already taken the plunge and got the game.

But If I don't already have the game, and am looking at buying said game with a fuck ton of DLC, I will steer clear. Because I'd feel that I'm not getting the full package unless I shell out a hell of a lot more cash.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Not at all and i will buy some of that DLC if it's game\developer i like. I bought pretty much all DLC that NISa has put out.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Crono1973 said:
TheKasp said:
You can complete it without spending a load of money.

On Topic: No. I look at DLC when I'm through a game. And then I decide if I buy it. Have yet to come across any game where I got the feeling of an uncomplete game because of DLC.

...and yet by definition a game without all of it DLC is incomplete.
Therefore, a game with an expansion pack is only half a game.

...what???

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
I usually buy games when they hit the $20 range. If by that time there a substantial amount of DLC and a good chance of GOTY edition coming out I'll wait a while more for the complete thing. However if I know that no GOTY edition will come out then I'll just buy the game. I mean if they don't bother making a GOTY edition then a) the game is complete, b) the game is crap. If it's a) then I buy, if its b) then I won't buy.