Does anyone even buy games full price on steam?

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Actually it'st he perfect marketing setup and it's long past due for consoles to start paying attention and follow suit.

Yes, many people still buy games new on steam. Why?

Because money is not a large problem to them, and saving a few dollars by waiting months....is not worth it.
They are your base of gamers that are going to buy a game anyway...and are just waiting for it to release. Even they often get discounts for pre-ordering etc.

Next you have the group that waits for the first sale. Because so many do that Steam often gives discounts if you order a game now before it's released....preventing the need to wait 2-3 months for the initial discount anymore (since you can get it right away.

Then you have the people who wait patiently for a 50-75% off sale. Most of them would not have bought the game anyway...or at least not from steam, so it's basically free money from people you would not have gotten any money from anyway. It also prevents piracy since who is going to bother pirating a game if they can get it for $2?

As far as making money...they make a ton. You still have your whole group of buy a game or pre-order it asap ....but you have a large additional group of people who will buy the games at a much lower amount. Steam gets a percentage of each sale and the game creator gets the rest. No overhead, no stocking fees etc (you could basically consider steam a stocking fee I guess....but there is still way less production/overhead costs).

Now...based on the huge number of games that are made available on steam...this setup has to be working...and working well for the game creators. They are making plenty of money...and so is steam. This is what Xboxbone should have done, and what Ps4 (and for that matter even current gen consoles) should be doing. Sell primarily digital copies, and only use retailers for customers without internet access (basically to primarily sell consoles, and a small percentage of games for customers who still need a physical copy). The physical copy of games would be at a higher price and not get the discounts etc that you get for digital copies.

That should be the future of gaming. There is no more real need for a majority of us to have physical copies, and certainly no need for us to be paying $60+ for them.

Steam got it right. There are still people who don't like steam etc, but over the years I believe Steam has proven itself to be a reliable place to get and play games...and a massively lower cost.

Now...with the addition of trading cards with many games....you can in theory get many games for completely free. I have sold enough cards that I have gotten playing games just in the last 2 days to buy a $10 game if I wanted. A young kid without a credit card ....could in theory build up enough money to buy another game eventually...with cards, and then sell those cards for yet another game (or even 2 in some cases).

If you buy cheap games on sale for 75% off......like magicka, Bastion etc.....you can get a game with multiple cards that sell for 50 cents or so.....for a dollar or 2. Net profit if you time everything right...would double your investment. That means you could then buy 2 more games with cards etc...and keep doing that as you build up your library. So....1 steam game that costs $2 or so, could set up a young kid with the ability to get as many steam games as they want eventually.

Go Home Dinosaurs for instance is a great example. The game was on sale for 75% off or about $2.50...I bought the game at that price, and played it for about 2 hours. In that time I got 5 cards..which I sold for between .40 and .50 cents. That was in fact the first game I sold cards for. Net result when I was done (and mind you this was awith prices right after a 75% off sale..so the value of each card had dropped)...was $2.27 in my steam account. I payed $2.50 for the game initially...so net cost after selling the cards was 13 cents.

I must say...quite a good game for 13 cents.

I now have just over $10 in my steam account ready to buy rogue legacy. I'm holding off to see if it goes on sale more then 20%. I'm not trying to save every dime I can...and that game looks fun.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
If the game has me hyped enough the sky is the limit.

XCOM and Natural Selection 2 were probably my last full price purchases.

Not Steam, but I got a lifetime sub for The Secret World at $250 when it came out.

I've also spent about $450 on ships and packages for Star Citizen so far.

But mostly, I buy the dime-a-dozen games like AC and Tomb Raider and the most 'vanilla' AAA games at severe discounts. If you want my money, put some damn creativity into the game.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I'm sure I've bought a couple of Steam games full price, but for the life of me can't remember which ones. Almost everything has come from sales, bundles or gifts. If the default price is relatively cheap, and I know/think it will be good I might pick it up, but except for Indie games that's pretty rare.

I don't have a lot of money at any given time, so sales and used games are how I afford most of my purchases. Even on Amazon, buying new games is often cheaper than buying them retail. Especially given the mark-ups on some older games at GameStop. My gods, Ico is out on the PS3 and they STILL want over $30 for a used PS2 copy with no case or manual. Like that's gonna happen.

But on the other hand, I don't often buy full price at GOG anymore, either. I used to, but then they started pricing some games too high - $10 for Another World? Yeah, right! - but at 50% off it suddenly becomes more appealing, more lucrative. And from everything I've seen, the developers don't seem to be feeling all that shafted or hurt.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
wulfy42 said:
As far as making money...they make a ton. You still have your whole group of buy a game or pre-order it asap ....but you have a large additional group of people who will buy the games at a much lower amount. Steam gets a percentage of each sale and the game creator gets the rest. No overhead, no stocking fees etc (you could basically consider steam a stocking fee I guess....but there is still way less production/overhead costs).
I'm actually unconvinced that the overheads are that low for Steam because Steam and every other digital distribution platform charges a full 30% on every game sold compared to a maximum of 20% for retailers (that's if they don't discount. And they always do. On a non-summer sale day most retailers will be selling PC games at the same price or cheaper than steam). I'm not convinced publishers would let steam take so much more money per game if steam didn't justify it with the development and upkeep cost of the platform (because we demand our platforms be very feature rich which costs constant development money). The publishers are saving on the costs of printing the disks and returning them, but storage is paid by the retailers meaning their margins are even lower than that 20%. Or maybe digital distributors are just powerful enough to demand more money

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Well, when you say 'full price' they tend to cheaper out the gate to begin with :D
I'm not convinced about that. In the UK at least, Steam does still tend towards retail price for the big new releases. Skyrim was £35 for over a year after release, significantly more expensive than it was on Amazon even on launch day.

As such, along with the fact that I'm generally a bit cheap, I've never bought a game at full price on Steam. Hell, I don't think I've bought anything for less than 50% off.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Some games, especially story based games where I want that experience before some forum troll can spoil it, are typically worth getting early for me.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Not on Steam. If I really want to get a brand new game, I always get a boxed copy. Never bought a full priced game digitally, even if it is slightly cheaper. Otherwise I'll just wait for discounts.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Most devs, particularly indies make a majority of their profit from the Steam sales. Most inflate the price and then "discount" it then people go; "oooohh, it's 50% off".

purf

Nov 29, 2010
I guess I should make it a habit to make better use of Steam's sales but usually I want immediate satisfaction. Gimme. Now! But I've learned to refrain myself (had to) so the above rule does only apply to games that are max ?20.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Yes though mostly full price is for games like Proteus or games that go up to $20.

I did buy skyrim not full price BUT its DLC yeah that was full price.

And as others say Steam has less overhead.. no real life shops. No packaging and transporting games in boxes. And that is why it can go cheaper without losing the developer allot of money.

A shame is that Xbox Live and PSN really doesn't gets it. And a sale there is a joke.. really a joke! On steam at least a Sale is a Sale! And still even with those quite low prices the developer still gets a decent share.

Real life shops, boxes, stamped discs..all this eats up possible profit. So no I wouldn't buy a $60 on steam! On steam? .. $35 yeah! Not $60!

I mean I can't resell these games.. I don't get a box I don't get a booklet.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'll buy a game at full price if it's a sequel to another game that I had a raging hard-on for. Sanctum 2 is probably the only example of that.

There's also the retail copies that I've bought full price. Left 4 Dead 2, Saints Row 3, Portal 2, Borderlands 2 and probably another 1 or 2 I've forgotten about. I don't mind full price when I'm paying the same for a physical product vs digital, and the game is from a tested and proven series.

The sales as everyone else has explained increase profits by over 1000%. Yes, profits, not sales. This means even after the sale has ended, because word of mouth is now selling the game. It makes sense to me, because I trust my friend showing off a game to me far more than I trust a game reviewer.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't buy games at full price, unless I want to get a game at launch (which usually happens once or twice a year) and the retail version doesn't have a bonus that I'm interested in.

As for how developers make money out of it: While they make less money per copy sold, they sell more copies. In some cases, it turns out to be far more profitable - especially when the game is digital-only, which means that there are no disc manufacturing/ditribution costs.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I haven't in a long time, if ever. Since I can never tell if a game is going to cause my motion-sickness to flare up, Steam sales are a Godsend. If I can't play a game, I've only lost a few bucks at most.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
If there's no sale and I want a game it's usually AAA and I'll buy it from a store to save myself the 24 hours worth of downloading. If it's like say L4D2 for 5 bucks I'll take the digital version. I bought FTL for full price. Literally within 4 hours it went onto a 75% off sale so I felt a bit annoyed, but I supported an indie dev so that's cool I guess.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Yes, I buy a lot of games full price on Steam. I'm fortunately employed in a fairly well paying job and if I want to play something today I prefer to pay as much as 3 times more and get it that instant versus waiting 3 months and save some money.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
krazykidd said:
Do you buy games on steam for full price?
I bought Torchlight full price knowing I'd missed the sale. Annoyingly it went on sale again a month after I bought it. But even full price was only £15, half the price of a AAA game.

krazykidd said:
How do developers make a profit if their games are mostly sold at a discount ?
I suspect you're getting sucked into the 'Cost of Piracy' fallacy. The idea that me getting an AAA game represents a $60 loss for whoever made it that must be compensated. Thus, you reason that if I spend $300 dollars on twenty games that 'should' cost $1200, there is someone losing $900.

In reality, it makes very little difference to them how many games are actually in my library. All that should matter to them is how much money I am spending overall. And Valve has stated many times that people spend more money when they drop prices.