Does anyone even play Board Games anymore?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I love board games! I don't play them nearly as much as I'd like to. Monopoly, Settlers of Catan, Scrabble-with-creative-words, Risk, Battleship, Dungeons and Dragons, I love em all. Sadly I don't have any friends to play them with, and my family is too dull.
xmetatr0nx said:
Yup, i still enjoy Monopoly and Chess on a weekly basis. Although no one really likes to play monopoly with me...i play it the way its supposed to be played, ruthlessly. Every now and then ill jump into some battleship, drunken monopoly is amazing by the way.
I always wondered: how the hell do you play Monopoly ruthlessly? I mean, all I ever did was just buy almost everything I got on, provided I had enough money left, and planted houses/hotels on the most expensive streets.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Yes. And Yes. Though I can't ever remember getting through a game of drunk monopoly without someone going "ahh, fuck it!" and flipping the board.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Anytime I go to a party, I bring Arkham Horror and try to get a game going.

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
My roommate's family are really big on traditional games. They get together to play Arkham Horror quite a lot, and there are frequent "Munchkin Nights" where we all play the Steve Jackson D&D parody. Uno's also a big hit, and somehow they manage to be really competitive and nasty about it.

I like Fluxx and Srabble myself, though.

Seirhune

Oct 18, 2007
Man, we boardgame way more than we play video games. Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium (twice a year, if lucky enough to find a group to play all day with), Agricola, Shadows Over Camelot, Catan, Ra, Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, and so on...so many wonderful board games. Haven't played Risk: Godstorm in a while, but it is also spiffy.

I wish videogames were as replayable as many of our board games. Terrible to say on the forum of a site that focuses on video games, but I feel that many board games are better *games* that so many video games.

Still need to get Notre Dame and Pillars of the Earth.

I'll stop geeking out now.

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
Silencer13 said:
Arcanz said:
blackfrancis567 said:
It's still awesome ^^
Awesome game
I wonder if any actually finishes a game, without a black eye.
We are all sophisticated people here Mr.Silencer..nah, just kidding. I always win by manipulating everyone to buy and trade what I want and to who I want. Like, the guy almost certain to loose. Make someone trade him the best spots, so when he loose it's free for all.
My mother and my girlfriend gets really pissed when I do that, but they don't realize it soon enough, muhahahahahah haha ha..ha..erm, well. Anyways, when they DO realize it often ends with someone slapping me or hitting me (not hard or anything, but they are family so they need to vent to be able to eat peacefully together later on). Btw, my uncle is the same. He gets hit a lot too, my family is kinda violent when it comes to board games, it's hilarious ^^

But that's with my family, with my friends... daaaamn, the hate is in the air. Nothing gets too physical or anything, but the curse words do travel fast ^^

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I have a board game night at my house just about every week. We play or have played the following:

Monopoly, Risk, Apples to Apples, Gloom, Chess, Munchkin, Clue, Uno, Cranium, Wise and Otherwise, and some others that aren't coming to mind...

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Jonci said:
Anytime I go to a party, I bring Arkham Horror and try to get a game going.
Was just playing Arkham Horror with some friends on Tuesday. Cthulhu ate us after a ton of bad rolls. It helps to have a friends whose attention span is long enoug to read a rule book instead of button mash 'till they figure it out.

Silencer13

May 12, 2009
Arcanz said:
Silencer13 said:
Arcanz said:
blackfrancis567 said:
It's still awesome ^^
Awesome game
I wonder if any actually finishes a game, without a black eye.
We are all sophisticated people here Mr.Silencer..nah, just kidding. I always win by manipulating everyone to buy and trade what I want and to who I want. Like, the guy almost certain to loose. Make someone trade him the best spots, so when he loose it's free for all.
My mother and my girlfriend gets really pissed when I do that, but they don't realize it soon enough, muhahahahahah haha ha..ha..erm, well. Anyways, when they DO realize it often ends with someone slapping me or hitting me (not hard or anything, but they are family so they need to vent to be able to eat peacefully together later on). Btw, my uncle is the same. He gets hit a lot too, my family is kinda violent when it comes to board games, it's hilarious ^^

But that's with my family, with my friends... daaaamn, the hate is in the air. Nothing gets too physical or anything, but the curse words do travel fast ^^
I use to play with my cousins, use to end in fistfights.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
As is the case when in any position of power, when you have control of the board you start making deals with the less wealthy people. Of course all these deals are for your own ends, by the time the game is coming to a close 3 hours later, everyone on the board owes you money and the only choices left is to rage quit or give me all your property. Oh yea i aim to back stab everyone playing.
Ah, that explains it, no one I ever played with cared about making deals, heck more than often they outlawed making deals. Backstabbing is common place here though, buying streets someone else needs to complete theirs. So much fun to watch them squirm and just buy it. But then again, since we barely make deals, it gets pretty dull and it's just a matter of who spends all of his/her money too quickly.